Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by CormacB View Post
koijann: was it my version you got working?
Yes, it seems to work. Used your index.html file with estonian voices (added .wav extension), edited your index.html and changed "en-GB": "english" with "en-GB": "estonian". Well, at least it says the first "command" as I'm inside and the first turn is only 10 meters away .
I'm trying to use it tomorrow in real situation

Keep up your good work

It's good to have voice guided navigation but for me the offline search seems even more important...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
ed00 & lifenexus: do you get a message about not being able to load config.xml?

I will work on a version with more error handling so it is easier to find problems.
thx for the reply.
i followed all the steps the way it is. i have all the wav files. i get no error actually. it just doesnt play any sound. i have the power kernel actually. is that a problem?

The Following User Says Thank You to lifenexus For This Useful Post:

I will work on a version with more error handling so it is easier to find problems.
after a restart it is working. sorry for the trouble

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lifenexus For This Useful Post:

Yes it was your index.html and I got in the first phase messages about not being able to load config.xml.

I'm using finnish UI and finnish voice navigation.

It works quite well. There is problem when there are several things to say. Then the crossing is passed when the voice navigation has said all the words.

By the way the automatic language selection works for me without replacing the EN-GB row.

Thanks to CormacB

Last edited by koivjann; 2011-01-22 at 20:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to koivjann For This Useful Post:
I'm happy the language selection works for someone

Yes, I've noticed there is a problem with lagginess. This is partially to do with the lagginess of ovi maps itself. I find I need to overlock to 1ghz for it to keep up. With even more logic in javascript for the voice logic it struggles.

I have a couple of improvements to look at. One is in the way a play the sounds: I create a new audio element for each sound each time it is played and then remove it. It might be possible to precreate the elements and use the play method, though microb's audio support seems a bit buggy.
Another possible improvement is to "predict" the position a bit in advance, but this has a lot of potential for error.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CormacB For This Useful Post:
Thanks CormacB

Im not getting any error message regarding config.xml
Map, gps works excellent and POI too.
Cant figure out why still no voice navigation.

The Following User Says Thank You to ed00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by acrux View Post
I'm trying to use it tomorrow in real situation
So, tested it in a real life yesterday. Calculated the route indoors with wifi connection, then went to the car, pressed the "red button at the right upper part of the screen" and started to drive. In the first test the voice sounded once and in uncorrect place - then soon I mentioned that the screen went black - the program has exited the tracking mode. Pressing again the red button returned it to that mode, but then there were already no voices... In the second test I got the voice commands twice and in correct places but then again the screen soon turned black, and thereafter no voices...

Well, it seems to me, that Nokia has not included the voice guided navigation in Ovi Maps not just to be despiteful, but for a reason - combination of N900+Maemo is not enough powerfull to allow problemless running it whilst symbian is just a much less ressource hungry op. sustem...

Last edited by acrux; 2011-01-24 at 11:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by acrux View Post
Well, it seems to me, that Nokia has not included the voice guided navigation not just to be despiteful, but for a reason - combination of N900+Maemo is not enough powerfull to allow problemless running it whilst symbian is just a much less ressource hungry op. sustem...
Couldn't disagree with you more...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
I tested voice guided navigation in real life today but it work very badly. I used the latest version of index.html with finnish voice.

A few times I got a voice guidance but in an uncorrect place. The guidance also repeated only partly. In some turns there was no guidance at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to kopla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I got an even odder result. Was using the version earlier that mixed espeak for the street names and used the wavs for the normal guidance. I could hear all the espeak stuff, but it was clearly missing chunks where it was supposed to be saying the other things. The odd part was that it was delayed the right amount of time to say the things it was supposed to... it just didn't say anything. The python server was running... with the proper path and all that. I just don't get why it's not doing what its supposed to. :P

Any thoughts?

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: