Active Topics

Originally Posted by richardski View Post
I can understand the panicked response to the "Evil Maid" exploit...
Where can I read about this update and concerns in the context of Jolla? I don't have a device, so I don't follow OS updates specifically.

Also, we have no clue what exploits are contained in Qualcomm's RTOS there anyway. For the reference, see http://events.ccc.de/congress/2011/F...-qcombbdbg.pdf

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-01-10 at 02:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK
I was referring to previous postings here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91885&page=20

Stskeeps wrote:

A good writeup by somebody not associated with Jolla:

http://blog.condi.me/blog/tinkerability/

This then refers to - "Evil Maid" Attacks by Bruce Schneier:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...aid_attac.html

Systems are very hard to protect against malicious intrusion if you do not know what code is being executed on your system. Hence the push for FOSS BIOS like CoreBoot.

Richard

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to richardski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
So this update was to keep our privacy safe???? Let me leave quote from tweeter here:

@DirkSonguer: Wait, the #Jolla keyboard actually shows my passwords in the autocomplete options once it recognizes them?! *****tf!

http://twitter.com/DirkSonguer/statu...32730070310912

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
As of 1.0.3.8 there is now an option to unlock the bootloader in the recovery menu. You have to enter your device lock code if it is set.

To get to the recovery menu, hold the volume down key and then turn on the phone. Then connect the USB cable and Jolla should be reachable with telnet 10.42.66.66, I even got an IP with DHCP from the device in this net automatically.

You can now also just get a shell from the recovery menu without loading your own boot image via fastboot.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Raim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
So is it now possible to take a full backup of your Jolla and then use it for recovery if something goes wrong? I'd like to have a backup ready in case of -for example- formatting of Jolla's internal memory to some other filesystem than btrfs. How-to would be nice

The Following User Says Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
So is it now possible to take a full backup of your Jolla and then use it for recovery if something goes wrong? I'd like to have a backup ready in case of -for example- formatting of Jolla's internal memory to some other filesystem than btrfs. How-to would be nice
depends on the partitions you "format", like, DONT format the bootloader partition and recovery partition :P

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
depends on the partitions you "format", like, DONT format the bootloader partition and recovery partition :P
Well, I did recently, and I don't want it to happen again. I hope there is a way to recover with fastboot mode since that was the only thing left after formatting everything. Not possible?

PS: Sailfish-reinstallation cost me 39€ which isn't too much, and it only took 2 days to get it back. Considering it went to Helsinki and back, that's quite fast. But I'd still like to handle my own fumbles myself

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
Well, I did recently, and I don't want it to happen again. I hope there is a way to recover with fastboot mode since that was the only thing left after formatting everything. Not possible?
fastboot mode also requires a working bootloader on the device. If you break the bootloader partition or the partition tables, it will be bricked. In case you only break the btrfs partition at /dev/mmcblk0p28 you might be able to recover from that with the recovery menu or with fastboot mode.

The new recovery menu includes a recovery shell. I have not checked yet which tools are available there, but I think the way described earlier in this thread about dumping the partitions using dd should now be possible from there without a custom kernel/initramfs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK
This is a small step in the right direction as it does enable limited recovery for the adventurous hackers
Richard

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Raim View Post
fastboot mode also requires a working bootloader on the device. If you break the bootloader partition or the partition tables, it will be bricked. In case you only break the btrfs partition at /dev/mmcblk0p28 you might be able to recover from that with the recovery menu or with fastboot mode.
ofcourse you need a "working bootloader" its the same on N9/N900. And in most cases they should not break...

But IF they break the only solution is connect a HWFlasher/JTag adapter for reflash in most cases. So for that reason its no point release the bootimage because you cant flash it anyway.

However I agree its sucks bigtime if sailfishos recover image gets broken. seems that happened to my Jolla

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2014-02-06 at 21:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: