Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Hedgecore
I think that's one area where the 770 has been it's own undoing - - it's screensize. Remarkably, a 320x200 device can play video smoother than an 800x480 device.

I don't see how that is remarkable: 800x480 is 6 times bigger than 320x200. Something has to process all those pixels.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by fanoush
N770 video chip can do pixel doubling, 320x240 video is scaled to 640x480 at no cost. Both default player and mplayer use this feature.
And actually it would be probably better to refer to this feature just as 2x scaling and not pixel doubling. It performs pixel interpolation, so the picture looks smooth. So Nokia 800x480 screen has advantage over devices having 320x240 resulution as we also get some kind of postprocessing and get better picture quality

Also I did some benchmarks for 640x480 video with mplayer, looks like Nokia 770 still has some potential of handling high video bitrates and resolutions. If it gets some more video decoding optimizations and hardware YUV support, probably even watching nontranscoded 640x480 videos can become a reality. And if we manage to get scaling work done by DSP while having ARM core responsible for video decoding only...

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Drewvt
For the sake of accuracy, the Mylo does have a few minor points where it beats the 770.

1) The aforementioned keyboard - any way you look at it, it's going to come in handy.
2) It can be charged through the USB - more convenient.
3) 1 gig of built-in flash memory
4) Even if it only supports MPEG-4 videos, it's a good bet that the videos can be bigger and playback smoother than on the 770.

But of course, these points are minor compared to the huge drawbacks - small screen, only Sony's closed propietary apps, etc. (remarkably, BTW, the mylo has no regular audio jack. You need the special cable that comes with the device, which doubles as the audio-in. But if you forget or lose the special cable: no more headset or any sort of audio out! Unbelievable.)
1) Not really. If you are using the 770 the way it was intended, the lack of a KB is a minor point and w/BT, almost totally inconsequential.

2) This is one of the great "why did the do (not do) that?" design mysteries of the 770.

3) Non-issue with a 2 GB mini-SD.

4) I doubt it.

All around, the price to performance ratio is far, far lower on the 770 to the Mylo (lower is better). Sony has a very bad corporate ego--far worse than Apple's. If you want to be owned by Sony, buy the Mylo.

Originally Posted by Odin
4) I doubt it.
In my experience, video is one area where Sony does shine, you might say that multimedia is their specialty after all. Of course, until someone actually puts a Mylo next to the 770 and compares the video capability in great detail, this is just speculation.

All around, the price to performance ratio is far, far lower on the 770 to the Mylo (lower is better). Sony has a very bad corporate ego--far worse than Apple's. If you want to be owned by Sony, buy the Mylo.
I agree with that. I was just playing devil's advocate there for a second, but my conclusion is the same as yours.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Drewvt
In my experience, video is one area where Sony does shine, you might say that multimedia is their specialty after all.
What is the highest video resolution and bitrate that mylo can handle without dropping frames at 30fps? Did you try to run such tests?

Of course, until someone actually puts a Mylo next to the 770 and compares the video capability in great detail, this is just speculation.
Yes a comparison of video decoding capabilities mylo vs. n770 is quite interesting, considering that it has a similar ARM9 cpu according to http://www.mylo-info.com/specs.html. I wonder if it has higher cpu clock than n770, or the video capabilities difference (if any) is only software related?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Does the Mylo have a DSP?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Crap. I try to be sarcastic and the 770's hardware shoots me down.

T-Mobile offers year's free HotSpot access with Sony mylo

This is an example where Sony flexes its deal-making muscle in ways that Nokia can't (or, with few exceptions, hasn't tried to for the 770, anyway).

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
You know, I'm really getting bored of the whole Sony Mylo hype. When the 770 came out, it got shot down by the press so much, it never had a snowball's chance in hell on the market. But even with all that, the 770 sold way better than even Nokia expected. Mainly because it was the first of it's kind, came at the best price at the time, and had the perfect combination of features for many mobile users.

Now we get the Mylo, the media gives it a better chance than most cell phones that could do more at around the same price, and the only features the it has over the 770 is a thumb keyboard, more internal memory, and Skype. Meanwhile, its screen is smaller + low-res, no touch interface, uses the all too familiar yet proprietary MS memory cards, has only 802.11b wireless, and no bluetooth?

Call me crazy, but I think the Mylo is targeted to people who have no idea about the multiple options of mobile devices out on the market, have money to burn, Sony fanboys, or any combination of the three.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

at the end of the day it's another crap sony product that will probably catch on fire becaue of it's battery.