Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
What I meant, specifically, was your help ensuring they get bad press over it. (The "outcome" was getting bad press, contingent on proceeding.) It may not be too late for them to abandon such a plan (if they're on it), but if that is their plan, and if they proceed, nothing will stop them from getting bad press.
Ah, right. Well, specifically, I'm thinking not everybody may realize exactly what it means, or may not follow up on it beyond hearing that they were planning on releasing it last week.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, turns out the dsme open sourcing may not be as much of a coup as it should've been.
According to these old posts, the dsme framework is relatively trivial software.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
According to these old posts, the dsme framework is relatively trivial software.
You've missed my point. They're moving stuff out of dsme as part of the open sourcing process.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't think he was saying that it is trivial software, he was saying that he felt that it would be trivial to rewrite the code from scratch by looking at the API. That means what its doing is fairly obvious. He was saying that other closed parts of the OS would be far harder to rewrite from scratch.

I personally think he was trying to downplay the fact that they weren't open sourcing the code. If replacing stuff like dsme and mce was trivial, somebody would have done it, right?

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-26 at 06:16.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Hey, not true. Which is why we have LaTeX.
also known as assembler for print jobs?

Er, it's the oppsite.. you _don't_ have to manually position things with LaTeX. But we're diverging from the thread.

true true, even tho it kinda falls into the "eyecandy vs functionality" sub-theme, no?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Yes. The device Maemo 5 targets will likely use an OMAP34xx. The OMAP34xx series has a smaller ball-pitch and will sell in larger volumes than the OMAP35xx series.
The multimedia architecture talk seemed to confirm an OMAP3430: it had a big slide saying "OMAP2420 Multimedia Architecture" (describing what we've got now); and the next was "OMAP3430 Multimedia Architecture" describing things like OpenMAX etc.

anything else would really surprise me as i suspect nokia has a long standing cooperation with ti, and the other tablets have been using chips that nokia had available for their phones anyways (especially the 770 was probably built from left over parts).

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
also, ari jaaksi links to the OMAP3430 on his blog.

Tags
job, n900