Active Topics

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zjYfQcJQ_Y

at sec 12 you can see the usb and micro-sim slot

so definitely no hdmi

The Following User Says Thank You to zymo For This Useful Post:
There is a standalone AccuWeather app but it interates also with the "news" view. The weather doesn't pop up new entries all the time but there is one weather entry at the top that is updated frequently.

EDIT: fixed typo

Ok, I confess this was a BIG letdown.

By no means does it look like an inferior product, and hopefully there will be consumer demand, but I'm just missing too much functionality. Too many of the great things are... gone.

The simplified UI, while fine for consumers, is a factor that (when combined with the expected nonsupport) will make the simple UI even worse without quality apps (yeah yeah, QT..... right - I have that now).

No FM trans, no removable battery (WHY? WHY?), no adobe flash, no IR (one of the few I actually understand), no SD slot, no capacitive/stylus screen, no uber hardware specs...... and of course no hardware keyboard. Not even giving us any innovative (swipe my ***) tech to replace the BIG loss of the keyboard. I just can't understand the hype around SWIPING the screen, Cmmon!

To the people that actually used the device, could you please tell us what the vkb use is like? Both portrait and landscape use...

And to all who saw the device before it got announced (especially the testers who hyped up the "never seen this before I just pissed in my pants" screen tech - you know, the ones who said we wouldn't NEED a hwkbd), could you tell us what that was all about? Please? Was something left out of the consumer device?

Not looking too inspiring.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Correct! After a poll on talk.maemo.org about multitasking/the closing apps (long time ago) we decided to add means for the user to close one or all apps directly from open application view (similar to N900). At some point, we considered not to have this option but gracefully shutting down the apps automatically,,,
So am I understanding that you can't close an app when it is fullscreen and running. The only way is to swipe to the 'open apps' window to select which ones to close?

That seems awfully redundant and there should also be a way to close an app while it is running fullscreen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:
it needs keyboard and xenon flash, ....and adobe flash :<

other than that great OS. i wish they release more version maybe i can get my 12mpx xenon flash qwerty one with adobe flash :<

Originally Posted by mzanetti View Post
There is a standalone AccuWeather app but it interates also with the "news" view. The weather doesn't pop up new entries all the time but there is one weather entry at the top that is updated frequently.

EDIT: fixed typo
Thanks for the clarification, but could you expand on that? Is the weather entry at the top part of the accuweather app? Or is it standalone, and designed by Nokia?

Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
To the people that actually used the device, could you please tell us what the vkb use is like? Both portrait and landscape use...
Sure. I'm still confident that it is the best VKB implementation of any phone on the market right now, though the margins are certainly very slim.

It's a pleasure to type on it, and surprisingly I'm fastest on the portrait VKB (with two thumbs, but one thumb is convenient enough). I'm also considerably faster with it than the N900 hardware keyboard, and that after only a moderate amount of practice.

YMMV of course, but it's pure quality. The context sensitivity adds additional convenience. If you want to hack directly on the device you probably still want an external keyboard (to see all of vim, and such...), but for everything else I don't see the point.

Last edited by kanishou; 2011-06-21 at 06:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
I have mixed feelings...

UI is AWESOME. I like it very much.
But hardware is so, so. By the time when it will be available worldwide I will be able to get SGS2 30% less than starting price and 40% less than starting price of N9. And while UI of N9 is awesome on the side of SGS2 stands: better support from producer; hardware of 4-5 month handset still better than new player; width and depth of *cough*ecosystem*cough* of applications which MeeGo/Harmattan wont equal for loooong time.

No Adobe Flash, no mention of HDMI or DLNA.

I am afraid AWESOMENESS of UI isn't enough to overcome hardware shortcomings.

I really, really wanted to buy this phone but...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Stop whinning ! This is just nitpicking the small points !

Just look at that beautiful UI !

Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
Ok, I confess this was a BIG letdown.

By no means does it look like an inferior product, and hopefully there will be consumer demand, but I'm just missing too much functionality. Too many of the great things are... gone.

The simplified UI, while fine for consumers, is a factor that (when combined with the expected nonsupport) will make the simple UI even worse without quality apps (yeah yeah, QT..... right - I have that now).

No FM trans, no removable battery (WHY? WHY?), no adobe flash, no IR (one of the few I actually understand), no SD slot, no capacitive/stylus screen, no uber hardware specs...... and of course no hardware keyboard. Not even giving us any innovative (swipe my ***) tech to replace the BIG loss of the keyboard. I just can't understand the hype around SWIPING the screen, Cmmon!

And to all who saw the device before it got announced (especially the testers who hyped up the "never seen this before I just pissed in my pants" screen tech - you know, the ones who said we wouldn't NEED a hwkbd), could you tell us what that was all about? Please? Was something left out of the consumer device?

Not looking too inspiring.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
Thanks for the clarification, but could you expand on that? Is the weather entry at the top part of the accuweather app? Or is it standalone, and designed by Nokia?
It's both - a standalone Accuweather app that also feeds it's information into the Events view. Similar to the Associated Press View that also can feed information to the Events view. Or the RSS Feed reader app or any 3rd-party apps that can send stuff into the feeds...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland