Notices

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Nathan, I haven't compiled anything under Scratchbox yet.

My first concern was understanding what the 'building blocks' of a Bible reader app would look like. Sword seemed like a respectable project to pick first. I know nothing about this 'scene' as I'm not a religious person, but I know that many would appreciate such an app, so I'm happy to do what I can to help

BibleTime's dependencies are listed here - Boost is among them.

For now I'm building everything on Fedora11 and wondering what is worth porting - clearly Sword is, but what about Rapier or BibleTime? As you correctly state, we'll need to rip its GUI off and rebuild something suitable for Maemo5. There also seems to be some dispute over what constitutes a 'good' app interface, so I'm reluctant to invest too heavily until some clearer vision emerges.

However, there is obviously something that can be done for those that want a Bible Reader app. There are some design issues to solve, but it's all perfectly feasible stuff.

Did you run the CLucene code through Valgrind? That'll highlight your dbl-free error.

Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
Nathan, I haven't compiled anything under Scratchbox yet.
LOL, I guess I like being a glutton for punishment. I figured I might as well go for seeing if I could compile it under scratchbox -- I haven't tried to compile it under jaunty yet. (Next on my list to see if I get the same glib error during the testing)

My first concern was understanding what the 'building blocks' of a Bible reader app would look like.
A good goal! I tend to work hap-haphazardly. Well, let see if this works. ;-D

Sword seemed like a respectable project to pick first. I know nothing about this 'scene' as I'm not a religious person, but I know that many would appreciate such an app, so I'm happy to do what I can to help
I can't say much about the "scene" either -- but I used rapier on my n810 (until I broke it) quite frequently and a had a list of things I would change if I had time to learn python better. I figured since nobody was porting rapier I would take a crack at it. Since it is an application I would use again once I can purchase a n900.

Lot more dependencies that I realized.... ;-) Since I already have to deal with these dependencies, I figured I would look at the other bible-readers around using the sword engine. And ran into two of them I thought could be candidates for porting (bibletime and xiphos)

BibleTime's dependencies are listed here - Boost is among them.
Ah, I see -- I wondered why you referenced boost. Well I just checked -- boost 1.38 is in the fremantle extra-devel repository. That is something we shouldn't have to worry about.

For now I'm building everything on Fedora11 and wondering what is worth porting - clearly Sword is, but what about Rapier or BibleTime? As you correctly state, we'll need to rip its GUI off and rebuild something suitable for Maemo5. There also seems to be some dispute over what constitutes a 'good' app interface, so I'm reluctant to invest too heavily until some clearer vision emerges.
I don't disagree -- I think trying to get at least the building blocks ported; clucene, sword, libcurl would be worth the time. After that it really is trying to figure out which product would be easiest to "adjust" the interface to be finger friendly.

However, there is obviously something that can be done for those that want a Bible Reader app. There are some design issues to solve, but it's all perfectly feasible stuff.
Yes. All perfectly feasible.

Nathan.

Interestingly enough it was a known bug that had a patch that fixed that issue -- so I've applied it and re-ran the tests and it is working.

So I've got a copy of clucene compiling in Scratchbox fine. All I need to do is figure out how to make a package and I can get clucene added to extras-devel.

Nathan

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
...As you correctly state, we'll need to rip its GUI off and rebuild something suitable for Maemo5. There also seems to be some dispute over what constitutes a 'good' app interface, so I'm reluctant to invest too heavily until some clearer vision emerges.

Honestly, start with just the text on the screen. Tap on the menu bar at the top to get the dialog box that asks you where you want to go.

Allow for the bottom bar to be a plug-in like system for the pieces that have been asked for in this and other threads:

- switch version
- bookmark verse/chapter
- send to notes/memo
- send to email
- tweet/fb verse
- compare verse/chapter

Here's my proposal, does this help?
http://share.ovi.com/media/arjwright...RJWright.10639

Last edited by ARJWright; 2009-10-13 at 23:55.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Seriously? Where are you from? I am just curious... I'm not particularly religious, and only really pray when my Grandma tells me to or when I'm at the Temple, but still...
Yes I'm really serious! my grandma used to go to church but she just think it is beautiful. I am from Sweden, Stockholm.

Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Interestingly enough it was a known bug that had a patch that fixed that issue -- so I've applied it and re-ran the tests and it is working.

So I've got a copy of clucene compiling in Scratchbox fine. All I need to do is figure out how to make a package and I can get clucene added to extras-devel.

Nathan
OK. Well done. I need to figure out how to package stuff up too. If you reckon you've got CLucene in order then package it up and I'll recompile Sword with CLucene dependencies intact and package that. I hope neither are too greedy on resources.

That gives us our base code for whatever Bible app we eventually figure out

Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Honestly, start with just the text on the screen. Tap on the menu bar at the top to get the dialog box that asks you where you want to go.

Allow for the bottom bar to be a plug-in like system for the pieces that have been asked for in this and other threads:
Yes, your image helps....and I do note that you have been at the forefront of some very smart design ideas

However, it's all very well to say "start with text" (that's not so difficult), but saying "allow for the bottom bar..." is a tad more tricky - these 'plug-in' systems are a notorious tar-pit if approached in the wrong way

Please, hang tight with this process because we're gonna need people like you to steer us in the right direction!

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Yes, your image helps....and I do note that you have been at the forefront of some very smart design ideas

However, it's all very well to say "start with text" (that's not so difficult), but saying "allow for the bottom bar..." is a tad more tricky - these 'plug-in' systems are a notorious tar-pit if approached in the wrong way

Please, hang tight with this process because we're gonna need people like you to steer us in the right direction!
Concerning the bottom bar and that plugin idea, I believe that its something supported after seeing some of the apps already demoed on the platform (Xournal, WordPy, and Mauku).

I'm happy to help where possible.

OK....I need to learn about this 'bottom bar' feature....I don't know how it integrates with apps, whether there's a generic interface....

There's lots I don't know...I'm not trying to BS anyone here....I'm an expert professional software engineer, but I'm totally new to this platform - even I need to find my feet

I may not be a religious guy, but I really want to see this through.

Because it's important.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hogwash For This Useful Post:

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword