Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Hi,

I have recently found that most development packages, actually promoted to extras, like Subversion or CMake are almost non-optified.

Particularly CMake takes about 10 Mb of space, so it's very easy to end up with the phone completely full if you try to install a full development environment.

So I have tried to file a bug on Maemo's bugzilla and what a surprise, there are no packages listed but only user applications.

How could these packages promote to extras consuming so much space in rootfs?
What kind of testing process take the non-end-user applications?
How can a user report a bug to these non listed packages?

I find it quite weird being used to Debian/Ubuntu package management.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ivgalvez; 2010-04-13 at 18:07.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Hi,

I have recently found that most development packages, actually promoted to extras, like Subversion or CMake are almost non-optified.

Particularly CMake takes about 10 Mb of space, so it's very easy to end up with the phone completely full if you try to install a full development environment.

So I have tried to file a bug on Maemo's bugzilla and what a surprise, there are no packages listed but only user applications.

How could these packages promote to extras consuming so much space in rootfs?
What kind of testing process take the non-end-user applications?
How can a user report a bug to these non listed packages?

I find it quite weird being used to Debian/Ubuntu package management.

Thanks in advance.
Neither of those are in extras - they're both in extras-devel currently. cmake is also in the Nokia System Software repository (not checked whether that's the same version or not though).

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Neither of those are in extras - they're both in extras-devel currently. cmake is also in the Nokia System Software repository (not checked whether that's the same version or not though).
OK, Subversion is in devel, but CMake isn't.

Anyway, the questions are still valid.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK

Yes, and no - the Nokia repositories are totally outside the Maemo.org QA process, so there's no promotion/testing process anyone here is involved in. From what I've seen, the Nokia policy seems to be not to optify anything in the System Software repository.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
To do any serious (aka complete, packaging, etc.) on-device development it's much easier to use a chroot.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany

i thought all the "official" repositories intended for the end user are the ones that are preinstalled in the app-manager.
and none of them hosts CMake. i guess as long as its not in "nokia application", "nokia systemsoftwareupdates", "ovi" or extras, it doesnt need to be optified, i guess.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Yes, and no - the Nokia repositories are totally outside the Maemo.org QA process, so there's no promotion/testing process anyone here is involved in. From what I've seen, the Nokia policy seems to be not to optify anything in the System Software repository.
Thank you for your response. The case is that installing CMake on the phone makes the system almost unusable due to rootfs consumption, and I don't see how to file a bug against an unexisting package in Bugzilla.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
To do any serious (aka complete, packaging, etc.) on-device development it's much easier to use a chroot.
Thanks, that's my next move.

You are aware that the packages you are referring to are not supposed to be on device? They are intended to be used in scratchbox.

As javispedro suggested, you could make your environment on a mmc card and work there. Assuming you really want to do everything on device.

The Following User Says Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tekojo View Post
You are aware that the packages you are referring to are not supposed to be on device? They are intended to be used in scratchbox.

As javispedro suggested, you could make your environment on a mmc card and work there. Assuming you really want to do everything on device.
Yes, my only intention is to be able to compile little modifications when I'm away from home and keep my code synced with Subversion.

Anyway I'll try to prepare the chroot environment for on-device development.