QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -I/usr/local/include/python3.4m -I/usr/local/include/python3.4m
With that set I receive a Python.h: No such file or directory when attempting to build pyotherside.

I've tried different versions of Python and none work, I've had to explicitly give it the command since no matter what I set :

PYTHON_CONFIG = python3.4m-config
Doesn't work, it never ever finds the command

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Some more updated information about :

1) Python on Sailfish :
- it has a wiki Sailfish/Python Development page;
- Python 3.3.3 (and later 3.4.0) is in Sailfish official repositories since Sailfish v1.0.3.8 (31/01/2014);
- it can be installed as a dependency for other software (gPodder, etc) or by manual installation with :
$ pkcon install python3-base
- it is expected to be accepted in Jolla Harbour "soon".

2) PyOtherSide (http://thp.io/2011/pyotherside/) :
- is in Sailfish official repositories since Sailfish v1.0.3.8 (31/01/2014);
- it can be installed as a dependency for other software (gPodder, etc) or by manual installation with :
$ pkcon install pyotherside-qml-plugin-python3-qt5
- has newer versions 1.1 and 1.2 released in 2014;
- is being used by more than 10 Sailfish softwares, and by BlackBerry (10) softwares;
- it is expected to be accepted in Jolla Harbour "soon";
- it as available in Arch Linux repositories and Ubuntu PPA;
- it is cited by the wiki Sailfish/Python Development page.

3) PyQt 5.1.1 :
- is available in OpenRepos.net, with version for Python 2.7 (pyqt) and version for Python 3 (python-pyqt);
- it is cited by the wiki Sailfish/Python Development page.

So Python 3 & Qt 5 development is well supported in Sailfish, so it is time for Python developers to release their softwares for Sailfish.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2014-05-22 at 18:13. Reason: Fixed link to Sailfish/Python Development wiki

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
As far as I understand, PyOtherSide is only available for python 3. That's fine, I like python 3. But there aren't many more python 3 packages, so you're restricted to python-base?

Originally Posted by evk View Post
As far as I understand, PyOtherSide is only available for python 3. That's fine, I like python 3. But there aren't many more python 3 packages, so you're restricted to python-base?
There are only few Python 3 modules at the moment for Sailfish, but they are being ported, look at Mer COBS and OpenRepos.net for Python 3. Today I've packaged Uncertainties and SymPy for Python 3, by the way.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
OK, great. It's not a big problem for right now since I'm mostly playing around and can always use C++ if I do something serious.

And I'm getting a bit impressed by QML, some rather powerfull stuff can be done.

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Some more updated information about :
- Python 3.3.3 (and later 3.4.0) is in Sailfish official repositories since Sailfish v1.0.3.8 (31/01/2014);
Hey thanks for the heads up. I just made a PyQt package for py3 too. So on ORN pyqt is for py2 and python-pyqt is for py3. As mentioned earlier there is not that much support yet for py3 in sailfish so I'll keep supporting pyqt for py2 as long as upstreams does, probably a few more years.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
Hey thanks for the heads up. I just made a PyQt package for py3 too. So on ORN pyqt is for py2 and python-pyqt is for py3. As mentioned earlier there is not that much support yet for py3 in sailfish so I'll keep supporting pyqt for py2 as long as upstreams does, probably a few more years.
Excellent, so we have 3 options for Python-Qt bindings : PyQt for Python 2.7 & 3, PyOtherSide for Python 3.

Could you make it more explicit that python-pyqt on OpenRepos.Net is for Python 3 ? The only mention is the 1st line after the "%build".

I've updated the post #83.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2014-05-19 at 17:04.

I updated the wikipage now with regards to pyqt and also added a software section where we could list all available python apps for sailfish, I found six so far. And hopefully plenty in the oven too.

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Sai...pment#Software
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
I updated the wikipage now with regards to pyqt and also added a software section where we could list all available python apps for sailfish, I found six so far. And hopefully plenty in the oven too.

Thanks, I've followed your work and inserted more Python applications (14 until now) for Sailfish :
Source-code (GitHub) links were placed when available, they are very useful to other developers to see other softwares as code examples.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2014-05-22 at 23:04. Reason: One more Python app for Sailfish

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Yeah it looks good ... and so many Python apps already. 13-1 in favor of pos vs pyqt. And I added a little bit more info about the differences between pos and pyqt. Feel free to edit/add more info if you like. I never really used pos so I don't know that much about it.

And does anyone know about the situation of introspection in Sailfish? I can't seem to find it so it may not exist at all. If not we must get Jolla to add introspection support for packages they maintain in core Sailfish. I can make an example already that I'll need and that is Gstreamer-1. But the whole G stack with Glib, Gio, Cairo, Pango, Telepathy and possibly some more are only supported from Python with introspection and it would be nice if Jolla would support these with -intro packages.

And if anyone is missing Python libs just ask and I'll try to package them for you. They must be compatible with core Sailfish though as I'll not upgrade such packages.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post: