Active Topics

After having my brand new n900 slip off my lap in a dramatic moment of Avatar recently: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=17

You think I would've learnt

Instead, I was on the treadmill at the gym, running.....and thought
"Wouldn't it be nice to listen to Interstate Love Song by the Stone Temple Pilots"

So I open the keyboard and start keying it in S....T....O....N....

Then I catch my foot on the edge, lose balance and swing my arm down to compensate. I catch the earphone cord and rather then pulling out of my ear's I 'Slingshot' my n900 down about 1.5 meters (while keyboard open) onto the moving treadmill. It then gets catapulted out the back and along the concrete floor about 2 meters.

Heart Attack..... Disappointment......worry.....

I pick it up and it has turned off....Oh Oh.

Hit the power button.........

She lights up. I give her a full checkover and all seems ok on the operating side.

I have a black rubberized-plastic case from ebay and screen protector. I can confirm that the n900 made it through this ordeal untouched.

Man - you'd think I dont like this thing the way I'm treating it

If you have got mutton hands like me I suggest protecting your n900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to janszoon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
Reading that gave me a heart attack...

P.S I have very vivid imagination

The Following User Says Thank You to nashith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I thought I was the only one to do this.... I have dropped my N900 twice on the treadmill at the gym. I really need a set of bluetooth headphones to prevent this happening again....

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I use crystal cases :P

meh, mine has insurance.. if something happens, i will get a new one :P

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
made my day!

Nice use of suspense, and vivid action sequence. I give it an 8. The plot arc was a little weak, and the characters were underdeveloped.

Glad it survived.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Exactly why I got a silicone cover. This is one Nokia that doesn't feel sturdy enough to survive too many falls.

Keep us updated on how many times you drop it before it falls apart.

The Following User Says Thank You to harp For This Useful Post:
Last week it was raining and I wantened to listen some music. I took out my N900, plugged in the ear buds and started the music. Some rain drops were on the screen, so I wanted to wipe them off gently with my sleeve. But the corner of the N900 got stuck in my sleeve, and the N900 fell out of my hands with keyboard open. About the same height, 1.5 meters.

Phone and keyboard are still working fine, no problems. I had a Zagg full-body protector on it (but I took off the screen protector earlier, because it doesn't feel nice), so the back cover is spotless. But the edges around the screen have some scratches on them, and I now hear a clicking sound sometimes when I press the touch screen in the upper right area. I could cry that moment lol.

But since my N900 has other issues, I'm gonna try and take it back to the Nokia shop. It has a dead pixel, a problem with sometimes the hardware keyboard not lightening up, and that I'm unable to snooze / stop the alarm clock in the morning. The touch screen would just not respond. So I'm forced to take out the battery, or just simply wait till it goes over (and I tell you, neither is fun to do when you just woke up). But the alarm clock issue may have something to with me putting the phone in offline mode at night. Because when the alarm is over, it asks me if I want to exit offline mode and go online. So a program / application is still trying to connect to the internet while in offline mode. The prompt comes up and I think that prompt stays in focus, even when alarm's ringing. I think it's Mail for Exchange wanting to connect.

The problem with the alarm is probably just a Maemo bug and getting my phone replaced won't solve it (maybe filing a bug will, haven't done that yet nor have I checked if it's already in there), but Nokia employees wouldn't know. It only makes my chances of getting a replacement bigger if I mention more issues I guess.

So wish me luck! I want an issue-free phone (and a scratch-free haha)!

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Here is the solution for you:
Attached Images

Last edited by ioan; 2010-01-22 at 00:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ioan For This Useful Post:
my n900 fell twice, once from 6ft high from the top of my locker, and once while i was sitting down and it fell out of my desk. survived both falls and still work like new thank goodness, no scratches either.