Notices

Hi All,

I hope I am posting this in the right place. I went to the Brainstorm bit and read the sticky but got a little confused as to what I was allowed to post in their, so thought I'd start here.

I have noticed a widget idea that someone has come up with for GPRS monitoring, but this is a slightly different idea.

My idea is for a desktop widget that would allow you the flexibility to add your own counters (similar to how you can add multiple countdowns on the countdown widget) for:
  • Calls (HH:MM:SS)
  • Texts
  • 3.5G/3G/GPRS (Down)
  • 3.5G/3G/GPRS (Up)
  • WiFi Data

Perhaps someone might think up some others, but those seem to cover the basis I think.

The twist being that for each counter you add, you can either have a running total (that is can be zeroed at will) or set the "billing date". So for example If I wanted a widget with a counter that showed my total Texts sent, I'd add Texts without a billing date, and also add my text usage for the billing month I'd add a text counter with a billing date of, say the 17th, each month. So on that date it'd get zeroed automatically.

It'd also be nice to be able to set how many minutes or texts or data you get on your contract, so that you could set a threshold of say 90%, that when reached would cause that particular counter to go red. e.g. you get 300 texts a month, you set your threshold to 90%, then when your text counter gets to 270, it turns red.

So what do you guys think?

It's something I'd love to program myself but I know absolutely nothing of Maemo programming and can't get the SDK working in Ubuntu in VMWare to even start to trying to learn. I know that programmically speaking it'd be fairly easy to program (talking from my VBA experience - I know I could program something that could basically do this in an Excel spreadsheet for instance, but wouldn't have a clue elsewhere).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dexter1759 For This Useful Post:
I also think it would be much better to group Call/Text/Data counter in just one widget instead of multiple like some people are doing. This way you save wallpaper space and I guess energy too.

So how do I get this into a Brainstorm thingy then? Does it need to? Should it go there? It's all a bit unclear!

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Dexter I think it's a brilliant idea and you should put it in the Brainstorm:

The maemo.org Brainstorm is a community tool to propose ideas and evaluate solutions to implement them. Anybody can propose ideas and solutions, rate them up or down. Thanks to this brainstorming the maemo team at Nokia and other developers can prioritize better their tasks and select the most appropriate solutions.
If this is not an idea (and a good one I might add) I don't know what is...

Last edited by Brunorange; 2009-11-19 at 13:16. Reason: know is spelled with an o not an i

So do I just put a link to here (perhaps quoting my original post), in the brainstorming section? It seemed there were a few rules/conditions that I wasn't sure about regarding what could and couldn't be posted.

Ok I went ahead and added to the brainstorm section...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...144#post382144