Posts: 23 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Bolivia
Hi everybody;

I'm doing some tests with my n900 and installed EasyDebian and also created a chrooted Gentoo image to play with it.

My problem comes when my N900 is compiling very huge files or is uncomprising some huge files (KDE packages on EasyDebian or Qt source code in Gentoo)... When my N900 is working on that kind of tasks, it suddenly reboots and if I try to repeat the process, the reboot occurs again in the same moment or when compiling/uncomprising other stuff.

So, did someone have some similar behavior on his/her N900? Is it a known behavior? (I am thinking the excessive heat is causing such a problem) If it is, did someone find some workaround on this?

Thanks in advance.

This happens due to intensive I/O. You need to change swapiness and other parameters.
Issue this commands as root:
Code:
echo 30 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/page-cluster
echo 512 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/nr_requests
echo 512 > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/nr_requests
echo 0 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/iosched/slice_idle
echo 0 > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/iosched/slice_idle
echo 32 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/iosched/quantum
echo 32 > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/iosched/quantum
echo 80 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/iosched/fifo_expire_sync
echo 80 > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/iosched/fifo_expire_sync
echo 180 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/iosched/fifo_expire_async
echo 180 > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/iosched/fifo_expire_async

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uppercase For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Smart reflex enabled?

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Bolivia
Thanks uppercase!!! I will try this and let you know... thank you!!!!

Last edited by ebasconp; 2011-06-21 at 01:52.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by ebasconp View Post
Hi everybody;

I'm doing some tests with my n900 and installed EasyDebian and also created a chrooted Gentoo image to play with it.

My problem comes when my N900 is compiling very huge files or is uncomprising some huge files (KDE packages on EasyDebian or Qt source code in Gentoo)... When my N900 is working on that kind of tasks, it suddenly reboots and if I try to repeat the process, the reboot occurs again in the same moment or when compiling/uncomprising other stuff.

So, did someone have some similar behavior on his/her N900? Is it a known behavior? (I am thinking the excessive heat is causing such a problem) If it is, did someone find some workaround on this?

Thanks in advance.
Yep. Same problem as you have. And worse, it creates some invalid handles as well so I end up replacing the ext2 image, every time after this involuntary reboot occurs. Will try the swappiness proposal but, of course, wouldn't mind hearing from you first if it worked or not

BTW, which Gentoo are you using?

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Smart reflex enabled?
I overlooked your comment this morning, but could you elaborate a bit on this?

Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
I overlooked your comment this morning, but could you elaborate a bit on this?
Ah - if you don't know what that means, then you probably haven't fiddled with it It's related to overclocking (just search here for "smart reflex") - some people have great success especially improving battery life, but for some like me it can cause random reboots etc.

Smart Reflex is only a problem when overclocking/undervolting, with stock PR1.3 I had no problem.

Last edited by uppercase; 2011-06-21 at 18:54.

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Ah - if you don't know what that means, then you probably haven't fiddled with it It's related to overclocking (just search here for "smart reflex") - some people have great success especially improving battery life, but for some like me it can cause random reboots etc.

Sorry, I should've made myself a bit more clear as well. The reason for asking is that I do indeed tend to have SR running, on PR1.3 (It does indeed improve my battery life), but I did not see the connection to the reboots (I know for many SR causes random reboots, but I don't think the sudden reboots from compiling are the same as those caused by SR) or swappiness. Hence the request for elaboration.

Last edited by anthonie; 2011-06-21 at 21:17.

Originally Posted by anthonie View Post

Sorry, I should've made myself a bit more clear as well. The reason for asking is that I do indeed tend to have SR running, on PR1.3 (It does indeed improve my battery life), but I did not see the connection to the reboots (I know for many SR causes random reboots, but I don't think the sudden reboots from compiling are the same as those caused by SR) or swappiness. Hence the request for elaboration.
Then this begs the question: what else have you fiddled with?

But I agree - a reboot at the same point in a certain command doesn't sound like smart reflex problems...