Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Uhm... wow...

Please tell me my entry in S&U was a typo - if not, consider taking me off the list, as I don't need my name slandered just because some arsehole thinks it funny to cheat in other peoples names.
Woaaaahh.. I was expecting the usual sunny and chipper comment! Crushed! It's not a typo, but please don't think it's a reflection on you! You earned your place so Im certainly not considering taking you off the list.

If anyone is wondering, Nathraiben came in second in the original voting poll and was still in second (with a smaller count) after the checks. I think we can safely say she deserves her second spot

Hmm.. I was kinda warned at the start not to put the totals up there but I went ahead anyway... Ive edited the post now to remove them. If you want to know your individual totals just pm me but, except an odd few, they are what were on the poll. There's nothing to suggest anyone cheated, if there was they wouldn't have their name on the list to begin with. Also, please don't feel any hurt or embarrassment if your vote is a little lower after checks than before.. nobody is pointing fingers at you.. honestly. We're just clearing the voting up. Certainly if anyone felt that way I apologise, that was not the intention at all.

Edit: pm to Nathraiben sent to help clear up any issues

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-08-09 at 19:29.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post

jonnenau (the developer of DropN900) you may also be interested to know that we have some exciting news from Nokia regarding the beginner contest! I've been chatting with Quim, and he's going to offer the same Nokia prize to the winner of the beginner contest too!

As it was my own bounty for the beginner contest, hmm should we move my first prize (or part of) down to the second placed entrant?.. We can't reward you too much jonnenau or you'll be spoiled! We can discuss it if you like
Kind of speechless really. I didn't think the other categories would be affected by this whole things, but seems I was wrong kojacker I am more than pleased if I will get the trip to the conference and it will be absolutely enough for me. So the whatever money it will be can be put to support other people how ever you see fit.

Very excited if I'm really gonna get the trip, have never been to Dublin or Ireland for that matter Thanks for everyone who voted for my beginner app and stay tuned for updates because there sure will be more of those!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonnenau For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Uhm... wow...

Please tell me my entry in S&U was a typo - if not, consider taking me off the list, as I don't need my name slandered just because some arsehole thinks it funny to cheat in other peoples names.

I have to say, by now I'm pretty underwhelmed by this "community". Cheating for getting your own app up there is bad enough, but THIS is as low as it gets. I have a professional reputation to lose, thank you very much.

Hope whoever did this chokes on his own big, fat, cheating grin.
Yes, that was my first thought, too. 6 extra votes for my application.
It isn't funny. I didn't cheated. But I can not prove it. I wished I hadn't participate in this competition.

Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
Yes, that was my first thought, too. 6 extra votes for my application.
It isn't funny. I didn't cheated. But I can not prove it. I wished I hadn't participate in this competition.
You don't have anything to prove nicolai, nobody is accusing you of cheating. No-one.

Im grateful that you entered the competition nicolai, and Im sure all the voters who awarded you so highly are pleased too. Don't focus on the 6, but on the 53 voters who liked your work the best Im sorry you wish you hadn't participated

Originally Posted by jonnenau View Post
Very excited if I'm really gonna get the trip, have never been to Dublin or Ireland for that matter Thanks for everyone who voted for my beginner app and stay tuned for updates because there sure will be more of those!
That's the spirit!

Man.. this competition has been a rollercoaster from beginning to end.. I can kinda see why nobody has done one before

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-08-09 at 19:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Oulu, Finland
There is no reason for entrants who got votes remove to think they had something to do with it. Did you ever think that those might be totally real votes from real N900 users? Remember that ALL new account votes were removed from the total counts. This means that a new talk.maemo.org user could have and probably did come and vote in the contest and happened to pick YOUR application from the rest.

This was the known down side of this decision that real votes from people that you don't know or have never said anything about this competition could have been removed. There is no reason to think that few dropped votes would mean you had anything to do with it at all. I am sure that many many legitimate votes from new forum members with maemo devices were also included in the votes removed, as this forum most likely gets tens and tens of new users every month. That was the down side of this vote elimination to get real results into one category, and it was probably totally random.

Last edited by jonnenau; 2010-08-09 at 20:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonnenau For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
You don't have anything to prove nicolai, nobody is accusing you of cheating. No-one.
Thank you kojacker
Im grateful that you entered the competition nicolai, and Im sure all the voters who awarded you so highly are pleased too. Don't focus on the 6, but on the 53 voters who liked your work the best
52 voters. I have voted for my own app :-)
Im sorry you wish you hadn't participated

Man.. this competition has been a rollercoaster from beginning to end.. I can kinda see why nobody has done one before
The goal was to have more apps. And still I think we have made a good job.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Sorry, no sunny comment from me - everybody has a line, and mine hasn't been crossed, it has been hyperjumped.

But first of all I'm sorry if you got the impression that I'm blaming you for this, as I'm most definitely not! I don't even think posting the results was a mistake - I was rather curious myself, and I think knowing the actual numbers is a good thing.

My problem is soley with those lowlives.who not only think that cheating is fun, but have to top it off by making others look like cheats.

To further explain why this is so much of a problem to me: customers place a lot of trust into me when hiring me for a job (I'm working with sensible human resource data), and I've always made sure I earned this trust by being upright and always keeping to the truth (sometimes even hurtfully so).

And now imagine you're one of these customers and googling the person you're going to give access to your most sensible data to and one of the first thimgs you read is them having 1/4 of the votes deducted from a contest result because they where cheat votes.

Something like this can get me into serious trouble - and thus has turned a great contest that shone because of how the contestants where helping each other and cheering each other on into a threat to my most important belonging: my credibility.

Again, this isn't your fault, and there's nothing you could really have done.
(The only solution I could think of for any future competitions would be to somehow get a voting script up that doesn't display the results - and only announcing the filtered results at the end of a competition without mentioning the number of cheat votes.)

Please rest assured that you're still our hero for getting this contest up and running, and other than the mess these lowlivews have made, it was a fabulous contest!
(There, at least a hint of sunny now that my killing mood has cooled off a bit... )

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
The goal was to have more apps. And still I think we have made a good job.
Now you're talking my language!

I think we made a difference in the number of new apps but also in the development that was done in the existing ones. And we also have a legacy by advertising and displayed the apps in their glory - you can tell from the discussion threads that a lot of new users have hopped on board even some of the more obscure apps and got involved Its great to see new threads open, help offered, and advice being given to take these apps to the next level

(There, at least a hint of sunny now that my killing mood has cooled off a bit... )
I'll take anything at the moment, even little hints

I can understand why you're upset but at the same time, I kinda think you're taking a little bit too much to heart *ducks* OK some ApMeFo fan may have got a little overzealous with their hero worship (I really don't believe anyone would try to inflate your vote to discredit you) but in any case and any way, shape or how no one thinks your result is invalid - you're a very worthy and solid winner If you're worried about the google spider I'll hold it at bay with a pointy stick for the meantime.. it shall not index! But you may wanna remove any trace of any concerns from your posts in the meantime if it helps your future client searches (if u like)

You're a great runner up and ApMeFo is a great app. Im sure we all can see that. And if your clients of the future don't, I'll turn my pointy stick on them.. rawwrrrrr!

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-08-09 at 21:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
I was on a vacation for a week and only got to reading this thread now... I have to say I was starting to lose hope some moments ago.

But everything turned out well in the end. Congratulations to all winners and especially you, kojacker, for running such a successful competition. Thank you! I think you above all would deserve the trip to Dublin. Who knows how many of those applications wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you.

I'll be looking forward to the next competition, hopefully with you as the organiser once again!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lukash For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lukash View Post
I was on a vacation for a week and only got to reading this thread now... I have to say I was starting to lose hope some moments ago.

But everything turned out well in the end. Congratulations to all winners and especially you, kojacker, for running such a successful competition. Thank you! I think you above all would deserve the trip to Dublin. Who knows how many of those applications wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you.
Welcome to the rollercoaster, and thank you for your kind words! I knew I hadn't seen your name around anywhere for a while, hope the vacation was a good one

I only live about 4 hours away from Dublin by train, so a trip would be wasted on me. Certainly if anyone deserves one on the organising side it would be zehjotkah. The guy sat through his family holiday receiving and updating paypal payments and organising the whole treasury end of the comp. If it wasnt for him, we'd still be here waiting for the official maemo.org paypal to be created He's a real 'maemo-head' too, hopefully that doesnt translate as offensive :P, but if you search Youtube for any n900 app review the chances are you'll find him doing it.. so definitely if Nokia offered anything I'd ask it to be passed onto him. But we're not seeking anything, glad to be involved

zehjotkah's a bit of an unsung hero so I wanted to mention that all in here

I'll be looking forward to the next competition, hopefully with you as the organiser once again!
No chance!! hahah!

Maybe I'll get the chance to take part in the next one though.. it's definitely more fun to be on the coding end

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post: