Hi there. I'm wondering if i can plug my n810 via usb to a computer which can access the Internet, using n810's browser surfing the Internet and update my software ?

I have been seaching for a couple of hours, and my conclusion is:

1.use Wi-Fi, connect a AP.
2.use a USB ethernet adapter, and patient too.
3.use a Cellphone via BT.

Certainly my english is not good enough to google my desired answer, that why i do this.

Last edited by malon; 2009-12-05 at 07:16.

You can do this is with USB using Windows XP (not Vista/7) or Fedora (painful on other distros).

via my deleted wiki post @ http://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?titl...12&oldid=16794

USB networking

Make sure you have the wonderful PC Connectivity Manager installed on the tablet.

* Main Menu>Settings>Control Panel>PC Connectivity Manager
o Advanced>
+ Select Environments [...] and New and input USB
o Select USB Network>Options>drop-down next to Mass Storage change to Network
o Default values here will work, should be:
+ IP adress 192.168.2.15
+ Gateway 129.68.2.14
+ Network Mask: 255.255.255.0
o Save>Apply
Fedora

* System>Administration>Network>(Input root password)
o >New>Ethernet connection>Forward>Netchip Technology, Inc. Linux-USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget (usb0)
o >Forward>Select Statically set IP addresses>
+ Address: 192.168.2.14
+ Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
+ Default gateway address: 192.168.2.14
+ Primary DNS: 209.18.47.61 (or 4.2.2.2 or whatever DNS server you like)
+ Secondary DNS: 209.18.47.62
o >Forward>Apply
NetworkManager should now successfully connect to it (initially networkmanager should have seen the USB connection but fail at connecting)

From the tablet ping 192.168.2.14 if that works, then it's time to let the tablet open to the Internet

* System>Administration>Firewall>(Input root password)>
o Hit OK to warning dialog (actually it says Close)>Trusted Interfaces>
o Check usb0>Apply
Now you should be able to ping google.com from the tablet. If google.com can't be pinged try 4.2.2.2 to see if you picked a faulty DNS server.

Windows XP
* Download and install the RNDIS driver from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...DIS/rndis.mspx

*Then a new network card with this name will become visible afterwards, which you can configure normally.
o Set the IP address to 192.168.2.14.
o Activate ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your network adapter to share the outside world with your N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post

Windows XP
* Download and install the RNDIS driver from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...DIS/rndis.mspx

*Then a new network card with this name will become visible afterwards, which you can configure normally.
o Set the IP address to 192.168.2.14.
o Activate ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your network adapter to share the outside world with your N810.

I have installed and setted up PC Connectivity Manager and download this one and installed on Windows XP :
Scalable Networking Pack - NDIS 5.2 Driver Kit (DDK) [16.1 MB]
(it's a package can automatically unzip itself when you click it)
So,when i have my n810 connected to PC, Windows XP pops up a
window saids have found a new hardware,asking me for install a driver,but there is no new network card with that name appears. Have i done something wrong ?

Tags
usb, usb networking