Active Topics

I'm pronouncing it as follows (because I believe I saw it described somewhere..)

ma - as in 'MArk'
e - as in 'crEdibility'
mo - as in 'MOrning'

(English is really a hopeless langugage when it comes to spelling and pronounciation.. give me Italian or Finnish any day! Nobody would even ask how to pronounce it, if it was seen written. )

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
What one has to learn from this one?
One of the best ways to kill a project is to give it a name which is hard to read.
I can see it on majority of OpenSource projects.
Who can figure what YAFC mean for example - how to pronounce this when recommending this client to somebody over the phone?
The name itself states - STAY AWAY IT'S GEEKY.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
I pronounce it somewhere inbetween....

may..e'...mo (long 'e' with the emphasis on the middle syllable)

I figure this sounds more "Finnish" since the N8xx were born in Finland.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Ma == "Pan"
e == "do"
mo == "ra"

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I say 'may-a-mo because 1) the initiative is from a corporation from Finland, not an Anglo-Saxon corporation, and I imagine this is the correct way to say the name 2) that is how I believe 'ae' should be spoken.

If I am wrong though, I'd prefer to change it to the appropriate way Nokia intends it to be. The sooner, the better.

Same with all other names such as 'osso'.

The localized names do give a positive feeling to me, it makes the application(s)/OS feeling special, like a connection with "this is a product from Finland". Difficult to explain branding, I guess.

Originally Posted by aot View Post
I think we need a similar sound clip to that "I am Linus Torvalds and this how I pronounce Linux".

I don't know the history behind the Maemo word but if, like words Ovi and Nokia, it comes from Finnish then it would be "mah-e-mo" like Benny1967 suggests.
Yes, play this when the user goes to 'About product' in Configuration

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Ma == "Pan"
e == "do"
mo == "ra"
Your signature, fine. Talking in discussions about Pandora, sure. But this kind of spam post is lame...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
I liked that idea of the 'About product' sound clip..

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Your signature, fine. Talking in discussions about Pandora, sure. But this kind of spam post is lame...
Are you making fun of my lysdexia?

Hey Karel, you're not to be here. Go over to the Ari Jaaksi thread and shout "I told you so!" 3 times; that's your job.

Originally Posted by XTC View Post
What one has to learn from this one?
One of the best ways to kill a project is to give it a name which is hard to read.
I can see it on majority of OpenSource projects.
Who can figure what YAFC mean for example - how to pronounce this when recommending this client to somebody over the phone?
The name itself states - STAY AWAY IT'S GEEKY.
Well Maemo IS geeky. A normal tablet user doesn't even have to know what Maemo is to use their tablet and install software.