Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
#21
Originally Posted by sampppa View Post
Does this Rémi Denis-Courmont have plans to put VLC in the extras?
Otherwise people wont find his port....
I doubt that the whole thing would build from within the official Maemo infrastructure. The VLC build system requires network access to fetch external sources. This is fixable, but it needs tedious work.

On top of that, VLC needs python-xcbgen. In the current Fremantle SDK, python-xcbgen is only available as source code and needs to be built and installed manually. So it's impossible to fill the VLC build-dependencies as is with the public Fremantle SDK. Again, this could be worked around, but it takes time.

Last and most importantly, I have to question the value of submitting to Extras a package that does not have a user interface. You can really only use it from the OSSO terminal at the moment. The old N8x0 Hildon UI partially works, but it's ugly, buggy, limited and unfriendly. The normal Qt4 somehow get stuck during the startup. This seems like a bug in the Qt4 run-time. Due to this bug, I do not know how usable the normal VLC Qt4 UI would be on N900.

It's a fairly general problem with VLC that it's ported to a bunch of portable systems (iPAQ, QNX, WinCE were done before by other people), but nobody ever bothers to write a user interface I'm sorry but I have limited time and no expertise in UI design myself.
 

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to redenisc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
#22
Originally Posted by redenisc View Post
The normal Qt4 somehow get stuck during the startup. This seems like a bug in the Qt4 run-time. Due to this bug, I do not know how usable the normal VLC Qt4 UI would be on N900.
I got the Qt4 UI to work now. But the usability is bad and it makes VLC slow I will see what I can do. But generally, until one of the VLC Qt UI developer gets his hands off an N900, I think this is a bit stuck
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redenisc For This Useful Post:
Siggen's Avatar
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
#23
Hello,
I made a mockup of how VLC could look on the N900, its just half an hour in photoshop and googling

Playing a Movie:

Tapping the Screen:

Tap the menu button:


The menu items i used is just copypasta from the Mac version (except, the "Show in Finder" item)..


This is how i hope VLC will look, just with the user interface a bit optimized, Like the same font everywhere and my menu button was just an edit of the task switcher button. Oh and I forgot a way to exit the app without the task switcher.

One thing to note, is that my N900 will not arrive to my house before next week, so ive only seen screenshots and videos of the gui online, if im making another mockup its using the freemantle sdk of course
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Siggen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
#24
Any new developments in this?
 
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
#25
Looks nice. Lets hope that someone implements that

Some notations in my point of view and I understand that you just made it quickly

- Play/stop bar should popup from bottom without spacing.
- Seekbar and volumebar are too small for fingers also full screen button
- Time left and running time.
- Where is close button?

It´s nice mockup!
 
Siggen's Avatar
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
#26
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Looks nice. Lets hope that someone implements that

Some notations in my point of view and I understand that you just made it quickly

- Play/stop bar should popup from bottom without spacing.
- Seekbar and volumebar are too small for fingers also full screen button
- Time left and running time.
- Where is close button?

It´s nice mockup!
Sorry, I did it before i actually got my device...
though I would do it slightly different now.
Ill make another one when I have some spare time
 
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#27
how is this coming along
 
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2010
#28
Latest changelog dated 27/5/2010.

Maemo port:
* Multiple improvements for N900 compliance and efficiency
* Support for HW accelerated video decoding on N900
* Improvements to the maemo/hildon interface

Full changelog and source are here:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/1.1.0-RC.html
 
Jack6428's Avatar
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
#29
Originally Posted by haj View Post
Latest changelog dated 27/5/2010.

Maemo port:
* Multiple improvements for N900 compliance and efficiency
* Support for HW accelerated video decoding on N900
* Improvements to the maemo/hildon interface

Full changelog and source are here:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/1.1.0-RC.html
What does this exactly mean??
 
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
#30
It means this: http://www.remlab.net/files/vlc/fremantle/ if you don't know how to install it you probably don't want to install it. You have been warned.
 
Reply

Tags
fremantle, maemo 5, media player, vlc

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:07.