WOW n9Export is SO much faster than using libcomm...
thanks!

is there any chance of a corresponding n9Import and jollaExport?

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Brilliant! 6000 SMS exported and imported with no errors at all. Went a lot smoother than my old disasterous attempts to import SMS from n900 to n9 some years back

Nice to hear people have got their exports going IIRC I looked into this when it wasn't possible yet, so I wrote my own app. Was good practice anyway

So I'll take this moment to advertise for it; http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1403724 in case people are still looking for new ways to do the transfer, or want a GUI to implement their own import formats on.

Cheers!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjtorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Germany
merlin1991: now I had to import the sms again (the first time without problems, but then after every reboot all the imported messages dissappear from my Jolla, don't know why). Also I noted that after the import I can't open any of the imported messages, I see only a list of them, is it only me who experienced this?

EDIT everything works after following this good advice from merlin1991
maybe there was an issue with sqlite db that is the storage location for the sms, I tried removing
/home/nemo/.local/share/commhistory/commhistory.db + rebooted and then imported the sms again.
Also checked if the commhistory folder is owned by nemo privileged and had rwxrxrx right set.

Last edited by xkkkx; 2014-01-07 at 23:31. Reason: new solution

Sadly the n900 export program doesn't work me. It appears to fail on messages which have carriage returns and/or smilies in them. Often I insert an emoticon (smiley) and then follow that with a carriage return. The export program doesn't seem to like those messages and fails. Any chance of a fix? Alternatively, is there a way to gain access to the native database on the phone so that it can be manipulated on a PC?

Originally Posted by toner_cloud View Post
Sadly the n900 export program doesn't work me. It appears to fail on messages which have carriage returns and/or smilies in them. Often I insert an emoticon (smiley) and then follow that with a carriage return. The export program doesn't seem to like those messages and fails. Any chance of a fix? Alternatively, is there a way to gain access to the native database on the phone so that it can be manipulated on a PC?
I'm in no way affiliated with n900export, and would actually ask you to try GlogArchive to export and jolla-morse to import

The n900export code does do something to replace newlines and semicolons, so it's not impossible that breaks something like smilies.

Do you have a snippet of the exported data?

I have already edited the data to try and remove some of the problems and hence now, the data has \n in it. Here's one line :-

+XXXXXXXXXXXX;OUT;2013-10-12T11:04:16;2013-10-12T11:04:16;As requested :-) \n Face - Dirk Benedict
Murdock - Dwight Schultz
Hannibal Smith - George Peppard
B A Baracus - Mr. T
\n Lots of love C xxx

I wouldn't dare try importing that into the Jolla so just to test the data I'm reading it with Open Office Calc. When opening the CSV file I get an error 'The data could not be loaded completely because the maximum number of characters per cell was exceeded'.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Veska, Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by toner_cloud View Post
The n900export program uses standard rtcom-eventlogger api to access SMS messages. It then replaces semicolons with colons in SMS text so it does not interfere with CSV separator, and newline with newline and space, so new lines in SMS text allways starts with space. This is required by Merlin's jollaImport to identify that these lines belongs to the same SMS message.

The Eventlogger's database is located at /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db, it's a SQLite database file, so you can just copy it to your PC and manipulate it as you like.

On Linux, you can open the database with sqlite program:
Code:
$ sqlite3 el-v1.db
And then you can print all SMS messages with query like:
Code:
sqlite> SELECT outgoing, datetime(start_time, 'unixepoch'), datetime(storage_time, 'unixepoch'), remote_uid, free_text FROM Events WHERE service_id = '3';

Having downloaded the GlogArchive program and run that, I had a csv file. I've sent that to my PC and have removed all lines relating to telephone calls.

Including a header line, I have 2100 lines of data. According to the widget running on the screen of the N900, I should have 2099 so I'd say that's a pretty good match.

Following on from what you said about newline and space, I'm going to try a few lines of data as a test. If that goes well, I'll remove the test messages from the Jolla and then import the lot.

Sadly the import didn't go well. I created a test file of 3 messages in csv format.

This is one of the messages with some details obscured :-
3281;RTCOM_EL_EVENTTYPE_SMS_MESSAGE;1;1387550488;1 387550488;1387550490;1;0;0;0;ring/tel/ring;<SelfHandle>;999999999999;Joey Joeyy;;"Yes thanks. It took a bit longer than the outward journey but I made it :-)
Have a lovely Xmas too. Love C xxx";9999999

Running the import via SSH, it produced the following message on screen - [D] workMessage:138 - message from/for "3281" added

When I look at the message on the Jolla, it shows all of the above information.