Posts: 42 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by dwaradzyn View Post
Storing content (map, search results) for offline use is also strictly forbidden. Access to service by any other mean than official APIs is strictly forbidden. I don't know of any official API other than in-browser javascript API that can be used for Google Maps.
I believe that you refer to :
You must not
10.3 pre-fetch, cache, or store any Content, except that you may store limited amounts of Content for the purpose of improving the performance of your Maps API Implementation if you do so temporarily, securely, and in a manner that does not permit use of the Content outside of the Service;

We could argue that downloading a route is meant to improve the performance of the Maps API Implementation. I do not know if they would agree.

I have written a few weeks ago a Python-based code that download a route from Google using their API and transforms the route to GPX (to import into Maep or MaemoMapper). If anyone is interested, I could turn this in a more proper application (where you can choose between multiple routes or set the name of a friend a an origin/destination point if he has an address in abook).

I only have a n810, but this is written in Python, it should work just fine (except for accessing the Contacts API from Maemo, this probably differs between Diablo and Fremantle).

Looking for beta testers for a price comparison engine:
http://www.shoptimate.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inoshishi For This Useful Post:
I tried this application as well - nice job! If, at the very least, you could somehow manage to use Google Maps for point of interest look-ups (if you get the terms of service issues worked out), it would be extremely useful. (No other mapping application that I've tried on the Maemo platform has point of interest look-up ability that approaches that found in Google Maps.)

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Germany
EDIT: After installing libgles1.2-1 or whatever dependency it had I get these errors:
Code:
Nokia-N900:/opt/cloudgps# ./runcloudgps.sh
./runcloudgps.sh: line 1: unsetenv: not found
/opt/cloudgps/cloudgps: error while loading shared libraries: libGLES_CM.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Try "apt-get install libgles1"

Yeah, maybe you could incorporate something like Mappero does which uses OpenStreetMap but Google Maps for routing.

Originally Posted by DaSilva View Post
Yeah, maybe you could incorporate something like Mappero does which uses OpenStreetMap but Google Maps for routing.
There might be some problems because OpenStreetMaps and Google Maps maps differs. Sometimes route might go outside of the road.

Last edited by Diph; 2010-07-15 at 14:40.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by dwaradzyn View Post
I approach this delicate subject with a lot of caution. Indeed there are other apps using Google tiles. Maybe the authors of those apps have some kind of approval from Google that I should seek for?
I don't have any approval from Google for using their tiles in Mappero, they were being used in maemo-mapper already and checking Google's terms of service was my last worry when doing the porting to the N900.
If I'll ever be contacted by someone at Google who will ask me to remove google maps support from Mappero, then I'll consider removing it from the default set of tiles; but still users will be able to use them if they configure them in the application settings, that's not something that I could (or even want to) prevent.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post:
Very smooth indeed! I hope people could add their own map repositories as in Mappero. Finnish Topo maps (NLS) would be nice with this smooth scrolling.
I did some scrolling (approx 3MB of maps loaded) and at least my N900 complained something about not enough memory (in Finnish) and become quite slow to operate.

Anyways keep up the good work!

PS: Mardy is it possible to improve map scrolling in Mappero at some point?

Last edited by Jaykie; 2010-07-16 at 08:30.

having been on a bikt tour ove rthe weekend, I would like to make a short wishlist that would turn CloudGPS into a very usable application for hiking and biking.
1. include other maps (OpenCycle)
2. support for batch download of map tiles, for instance 'along track' and visible area on the screen (offline operations should always be possible, dont prompt user for internet connection if she has decided not to use data roaming)
3. import of track (and place focus on the track); (good enough for many routing needs)
4. when tapping on the screen give the distance from current location

I have more items, but these are the most important to me.

looking forward to see CloudGPS grow!

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by Jaykie View Post
Very smooth indeed! I hope people could add their own map repositories as in Mappero. Finnish Topo maps (NLS) would be nice with this smooth scrolling.
I did some scrolling (approx 3MB of maps loaded) and at least my N900 complained something about not enough memory (in Finnish) and become quite slow to operate.

Anyways keep up the good work!

PS: Mardy is it possible to improve map scrolling in Mappero at some point?
0.1 aplha does not clean up memory at all, so it eats up all resources in seconds and makes N900 do a lot of swapping. Don't worry one of next releases will introduce proper memory management and very small memory footprint.

Last edited by dwaradzyn; 2010-07-19 at 15:29. Reason: Memory management not completed yet in next release.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Will you fix the dependency so it depends on libgles1 instead of that specific package you depend on right now(installing only that package doesn't work)?

Tags
best gps app