Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
The argument was the cost of developing the tablet, scale has very little to do with it.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The argument was the cost of developing the tablet, scale has very little to do with it.
Scale has everything to do with it if you want investment money, or you could do Mer with community UI, go bother them they are too small and too slow for your liking

OTA8 means 48 weeks of work, right? +8 weeks for next release (ota9), still no copy-paste? Big company Canonical? After a year of work?

Patch: Sailfish Browser text selection patch
coderus's picture
Submitted by coderus on Fri, 08/22/2014 - 17:33

Wow, community rocks, faster than a bunch of hired coders it seems (we'll see if it works in Jan 2016 for Ubuntu)

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Nokia now is just a guy with a fat (for now) wallet, no factories, no manufacturing abilities, to get back in business they would need huge investment (or to rely on indian/chinese manufacturers), might as well just slap a Nokia logo on generic android device to see if people still remember (which they will probably quickly learn to forget with chinese quality of produce and generic android with z-launcher stickied on top), R&D costs a lot (in a way, Jolla could help them with that, but risky, when you need to open/rebuy factories of your own to bring back european quality and margins are so low), safer bet to sell tires again (or stick to network services or whatevs, CEO who got there after all those gamblers can stay for a while with no risk this way)
There's no point in Nokia reopening factories. Not even Apple do that. Nokia aren't doing that with their tablet either. It's built by Foxconn. The problem is Nokia rightly do not see a profit in developing their own OS or quite possibly even doing phones at all.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
There's no point in Nokia reopening factories. Not even Apple do that. Nokia aren't doing that with their tablet either. It's built by Foxconn. The problem is Nokia rightly do not see a profit in developing their own OS or quite possibly even doing phones at all.
I know, there is no incentive sadly for them

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Well, yes, except that there's nothing strange about it. Dave has been insisting that reaching 100% of a crowdfunding goal means that the crowdfunded project should have enough funds to be completed. I'm arguing that for the tablet project (and, in fact, most crowdfunded projects) this is not the case; in fact, most projects need additional funding from elsewhere in order to succeed.
My point is that Jolla messed up/ignored the fact that the had a budget much higher than what they asked for...why didnt they Mange to produce more tablets.

why didnt they ask the backers. "Hey, we have some financial issues regarding tablet production and we can't do the qa we want. We believe it's better to ship what we have rather than jeopardize the hole project"

Also wonder why the project did several screen changes when they were short to n money? The old screens didn't work at all?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-11-21 at 07:11.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Today I got an invite to buy an Oneplus 2 should I buy one? Can it run sfos2?

Or wait then I realized I better go for fairphone2 next time I buy a phone.

Infact www.fairphone.com and Jolla should merge.

Fairphone "most open" hardware
Jolla most open OS

what a combo would that be?
how about the One Plus X?

It uses the Snapdragon 801 SoC which is virtually identical to the 800 in the Nexus 5.

I know there is a lot of other hardware that needs support, but surely this is a good candidate for SFOS adaptation....

"NOKIA!"

"We need you(r fat wallet)"

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
"NOKIA!"

Hope the cost cutting came early enough to secure resources to finalize tablet and serve its customers and there by save a tiny hope for the future of jolla

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
"NOKIA!"

Nokia is still connecting people amazingly enough, most don't see it/experience it, but the fact they moved from consumer products to network seems to work out for them. Leave the consumer space to the mega-corps, they have the budget to choke us all with ads of their super products (some claim apple won with browser experience, seriously doubt it, they won with billions in marketing, since the ipod times, you don't grow a hipster fanbase that high with just a product/experience, but then there is this: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/24/...wser-engineer/
Tolmasky left Apple shortly after the original iPhone was released as the company no longer felt like a startup
Apparently Apple was just (feeling like) a startup then)

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund