Hi, Can anyone tell me what the mediaplayer package in OS2007/08 called?
And if possible, can I get its source.
I am trying to see if I can play around with the code to try make rmvb streaming at high bitrates (>200)..which currently doesnt seem to be working well.

Or if anyone knows of a config file that needs to be changed to make this possible.

thank you.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by b0n0 View Post
I am trying to see if I can play around with the code to try make rmvb streaming at high bitrates...
RMVB streaming? RMVB is VBR, and you'd want CBR for streaming. Are you talking progressive download, perhaps? If so, do the files play back smoothly--or at least better--locally?

I am actually looking for Video on Demand and am using Helix Producer for encoding and the Helix server for the videos to reside on.
But when I encode videos with a target bitrate of 200kbps and higher, they play perfectly fine on the player locally, but stutter badly when streamed.
Now, the network might not be at fault, because i have other handhelds that are working fine with high bitrate videos. Even the N800 is streaming video well with the mediaserv (768kbps avi)
But I need to have this quality with real media.

I am actually looking for Video on Demand and am using Helix Producer for encoding and the Helix server for the videos to reside on.
Understood. That's why I questioned your statement that you're attempting RMVB streaming. You shouldn't be creating or using RMVB files if your goal is to stream the media over RTSP.

But when I encode videos with a target bitrate of 200kbps and higher, they play perfectly fine on the player locally, but stutter badly when streamed.
I'll try to test this out as soon as I get a chance. All the Real files on my server are MBR, and I'd like to encode a range of single rate clips so I can see where Media Player's performance drops off. I suspect my results will match yours, but tests with a second Helix server and tablet will help if we need to take this to bugzilla.

Even the N800 is streaming video well with the mediaserv (768kbps avi)
But I need to have this quality with real media.
May I inquire as to why you need to use Real? As a quick test I just had Media Player begin streaming an MPEG-4 file I recently uploaded to my Helix server. I didn't watch the full hour+ of video, but the first few minutes looked good, and the clip was encoded for 768kbps connections.

I have a mix of MPEG-4, QuickTime, Real, and Windows Media clips on my Helix server. Helix doesn't work well with MBR Windows Media files or MPEG-4 Part 10, and Media Player doesn't grok QuickTime, but that still leaves some non-Real media formats the two can agree upon.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
I was using Real because i was under the impression that VoD was supported for real media only.
What encoding parameters are you using for the MPEG-4 videos?

May I also know what encoder is being used?.

Strangely, the media player in OS2008 seems to support quicktime, I was streaming H.264 videos off a darwin server. The media player was straeming the files, but the bitrate problem still persists.

I have a bunch of N800s and N810s with me, so I am sure that this is not a single device specific anamoly.

Thank you!

What encoding parameters are you using for the MPEG-4 videos?
May I also know what encoder is being used?
I encoded the videos using Sorenson Squeeze Compression Suite 4.3. It's not my favorite encoder, and I'm a version behind on it, but it does a decent job for MPEG-4 encoding and lets me support QuickTime clients back to 5.0.2 with SV3 Pro + MP3 QuickTime files.

I generally don't make many changes to the MPEG-4 presets that come with the software. The audio in most of my source material is mono, so I adjust accordingly for that, and I may tweak the key frame rate on occasion, but that's about it.

So, encoding parameters to target a 768 Kbps connection would be something like: Sorenson MPEG-4 Pro 1-pass CBR @ 615 Kbps, 320x240, 30 fps, key frame every 300 frames, Coding Technologies AAC @ 64 Kbps, 16, 32000, mono.

Strangely, the media player in OS2008 seems to support quicktime, I was streaming H.264 videos off a darwin server.
Was the source file really H.264 in a QuickTime container, or was it a MPEG-4 container? H.264 inside a QuickTime container is certainly valid, but unusual, and I wouldn't expect Media Player to understand it.

Thanks!
I am trying to use transcode to encode the videos.
Do you happen to have any ideas on what parameters to use?

edit: I have the mp4 videos ready using both sorenson and transcode.

But when I try streaming them, i get a message from the media player saying "stream not found"

Are there any changes to be made to the server configuration to enable mp4 streaming?

Last edited by b0n0; 2008-02-05 at 23:03.

I am trying to use transcode to encode the videos.
Do you happen to have any ideas on what parameters to use?
I'm not familiar with transcode, sorry. I use ProCoder, Squeeze, and (rarely) Compressor for encoding.

But when I try streaming them, i get a message from the media player saying "stream not found"
The following URL--once adjusted for your server--should play the MPEG-4 sample that came with your server:
rtsp://server.domain.com:554/mpg4video.mp4

You'll need to change the server name and domain, of course, and if you changed your server's RTSP port for some reason, adjust that as well.

Are there any changes to be made to the server configuration to enable mp4 streaming?
Several versions ago I think the web administration pages included options to individually disable each of the non-Real streaming formats, but there's nothing like that anymore. Under "Server Setup", "Connection Control" are the "RealPlayers Only" and "RealPlayers Plus Only" options, but I don't think you'd have turned those on.

When you click on "About" and look at your license information, are all the data types--including MPEG-4--showing "yes"?

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Well, thanks for the info mate, I have everything up and running with streaming support for 25 N800s/N810s.

I was all happy with the video quality when I realised that the videos wont seek (forward/rewind)

Do you face the same issue?

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
I believe it's a limitation of the player. I couldn't get streams to seek on my N800 from my UPnP server, but the same streams would seek using Windows Media Player