Notices

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
0. assuming your phone locale has been set to english_us in the setup menu, otherwise change appropriately
1. Login to N900 as root
1.1 apt-get install espeakgui espeak libespeak espeak-data wget unzip
1.2 (optionally) espeak 'hello world' to check that it works
2. cd /usr/share/nokia-maps/html
3. mv index.html index.html.nokia; gzip index.html.nokia
4. wget http://www.pittnerovi.com/jiri/hobby...00/maps.tar.gz
5. tar zvxf maps.tar.gz; rm maps.tar.gz
6. cd /home/user/MyDocs; mkdir navigation_sounds; cd navigation_sounds; wget http://static.s2g.gate5.de/maploader...english_us.zip
6.1 unzip english_us.zip (do not rename to .wav)
6.2 cd /usr/share/nokia-maps/html ; ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/navigation_sounds/english_us .
6.3 change SOUNDPATH in speak_02.py if using different language directory
7. nohup ./speak_02.py >/dev/null &
7.1 (optionally) wget -O /dev/null http://localhost:9999/hello ; wget -O /dev/null http://localhost:9999/:g5ann_001 (to check that it works with both sampled and synthetized speach)
8. start OVI maps from the GUI.

when i reach that step, it says

ln: english_us/english_us: Operation not permitted

how do i get around this?
Malaysian N900 user!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Angel85 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by janszoon View Post
my OVi maps takes 20 seconds to load. is this normal? can it be improved in any way?
Ovi maps is mostly javascript with a plugin, which is why its so slow. Its speed depends on microb hence we cannot make it read the javascript faster.

Originally Posted by Narvi View Post
This is really great modification for Ovi Maps! I managed to get sound navigation to work in english and german. However when I try to apply finnish sound files the software (OM Voice Server) crashes immediately. I just can't figure out how come two other languages works but not finnish. Could someone give me a hand in here?

After I relaunch Om Voice Server and check log it states
"Looking for voices in:
No voices found!
Using aplay for prerecorded sounds
Reading //config.xml"

After crash I can't browse sound folder but have to manually write the path. Voice files for finnish, german and english was downloaded from here:
http://static.s2g.gate5.de/maploadervoice/finnish.zip
Random.... I'll check it out and post an update when I find the issue.

Originally Posted by Dark_Angel85 View Post
0. assuming your phone locale has been set to english_us in the setup menu, otherwise change appropriately

6.2 cd /usr/share/nokia-maps/html ; ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/navigation_sounds/english_us .

when i reach that step, it says

ln: english_us/english_us: Operation not permitted

how do i get around this?
I'm personally not good at linux enough to say why it didn't work. Have you tried skipping the step and seeing what happens? ln is meant to make a link, so not sure how its used in the server. Sorry

The Following User Says Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
I'm personally not good at linux enough to say why it didn't work. Have you tried skipping the step and seeing what happens? ln is meant to make a link, so not sure how its used in the server. Sorry
DOes it need an internet connection for that to work?

I'll try again and see how it works. I've skipped it and continued on but it still remains the same... I'll try again and let you know how it works
Malaysian N900 user!!!

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Narvi View Post
This is really great modification for Ovi Maps! I managed to get sound navigation to work in english and german. However when I try to apply finnish sound files the software (OM Voice Server) crashes immediately. I just can't figure out how come two other languages works but not finnish. Could someone give me a hand in here?

After I relaunch Om Voice Server and check log it states
"Looking for voices in:
No voices found!
Using aplay for prerecorded sounds
Reading //config.xml"

After crash I can't browse sound folder but have to manually write the path. Voice files for finnish, german and english was downloaded from here:
http://static.s2g.gate5.de/maploadervoice/finnish.zip
Try this config file (same as attached here... I just linked it for no reason). I've had to manually edit the finnish config file as they don't all follow the same standard.

Originally Posted by Dark_Angel85 View Post
DOes it need an internet connection for that to work?

I'll try again and see how it works. I've skipped it and continued on but it still remains the same... I'll try again and let you know how it works
That part shouldn't need internet.
Attached Files
File Type: zip config.zip (5.2 KB, 325 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Philadelphia
The operation not permitted message would typically happen if you were not root when trying to run that command. The command attempts to create a symbolic link in /usr/share/nokia-maps/html which is a directory owned by the root user.

The character that appears to the left of where you write your commands should be # if you are the root user. Use the 'root' command to become the root user on the N900.

I used the script in this website http://nokia-n900.com/nokia-n900-ovi-map-enhancement/ and it automatically loaded all the scriptes fiven in Jirri's website... so I guess, that's done now...

it works~
Malaysian N900 user!!!

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
after i enter the above command, i get the following:

cd /usr/share/nokia-maps/html: not found

Help!

Originally Posted by oc2205 View Post
after i enter the above command, i get the following:

cd /usr/share/nokia-maps/html: not found

Help!
read my post @ #467

there's a link to a website that has a script already automatically running all the scripts...

try it!

EDIT: oops.... #476... wasn't very good with numbers in the first place... :P
Malaysian N900 user!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Angel85 For This Useful Post:
Thanks Blaizzen and others for all the ongoing work!

I have installed omvs according to the wiki, and it seems to work (need to take it for a testrun outside though). One thing I noticed are aplay errors:

Code:
aplay: playback:2297: read error
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5tul_002e' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5num_150' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5unt_002' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5tul_003e' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5num_150' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5unt_002' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5tul_003e' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
aplay: playback:2297: read error
Playing WAVE '/home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices/english_us/english_us_male/g5tur_003e' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono
Any ideas?

these same steps can be made to add the voice to him in Spanish to ovi maps in the N900? As it is possible to be done?