Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
Originally Posted by Beni View Post
At first, I loved it, but now its being troublesome.
i could have told you that long ago. maybe if you read any of my threads you might have thought twice. i sold my n800 and it was the best thing i have ever done.... ever!, as far as gadgets go. i was once like you, loved it, but when reality sinks in, its a sh*tty device. - 5 years ago, it might have been worth the money - maybe. i bought the eee and it was worth every cent. sell your n800 while you might possibly still get a $1 for it.

nokia stick to smartphones, this new way of looking at the pda market was a bad move. and please don't ever think of making laptops or desktops.

Last edited by earl00; 2007-12-04 at 22:11.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by earl00 View Post
i could have told you that long ago. maybe if you read any of my threads you might have thought twice. i sold my n800 and it was the best thing i have ever done.... ever!, as far as gadgets go. i was once like you, loved it, but when reality sinks in, its a sh*tty device. - 5 years ago, it might have been worth the money - maybe. i bought the eee and it was worth every cent. sell your n800 while you might possibly still get a $1 for it.

nokia stick to smartphones, this new way of looking at the pda market was a bad move. and please don't ever think of making laptops or desktops.
Come on please. There are dozens of different usage patterns for different persons. Maybe the N800 doesn't fit YOUR needs - but it fits the needs of many others.
That's why we have choice. And not the same ONE device for 7 billion people.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Beni View Post
Whats wrong with Windows? I run Windows XP on my computer. Maemo hasn't been the best experience anyways.
Yeah, actually, Windows might work for you.

/me gives up and moves on.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
I almost forgot I had a usb port! What a pain to use cables! The wireless or bluetooth is indeed much easier. I only use usb port for flashing when new software comes.
I love my n800.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by earl00 View Post

Why are you even still here? You don't own a device, and all you do is ***** and moan. Is trolling and flamebaiting really that enjoyable for you?

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
At least for the stuttering scrolling when using the D-pad there is an easy fix:
Edit .opera/input.ini and change Down to Page Down, Up to Page Up. Opera must be closed first.
After this you'll have proper page up/page down in Opera.
I just purchased the 800 and am definitely enjoying it, but I too am somewhat disappointed by the browser. To me, out of everything, Nokia should have nailed that app perfectly. Apple comes close with the browsers on the iPhone/Touch, and Nokia could have come closer. Even the documentation is dissapointing: The manual doesn't even say anything about half the features, switching engines, etc. Heck, I didn't even know it was Opera!

As to the quote above: Where is that Opera input.ini file? How can I get there, and what should I use for the editor? In fact, how does one find a particular file via name without going to a command prompt?

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Why are you even still here? You don't own a device, and all you do is ***** and moan. Is trolling and flamebaiting really that enjoyable for you?
people need to share their opinions - thats what the forum is for, so that other people can know exactly what to expect, its got nothing to do with trolling, i'm not trying to start wars, just because I have a different opinion about a device does not give you any right to try and shut me up - people have a right to hear what i have to say if they choose to listen. its obviously getting to you and clearly you have no strength to control your emotions or maybe its just the frustration of everything i said being true - i don't think you'd care if you were totally happy with your device. so shut your hole.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Windows? Ugh, you're kidding, right?
You know, I really find that whole Windows is crap argument silly.. After 34 years in IT, my opinion is that there is NO perfect OS.
I've supported, in an enterprise enviroment, just about every flavour of DOS/Windows, Unix workstations and servers, (including, god forbid ,SCO and HPUX), as well as Macs. The only OS'es that were reasonably reliable and secure were the various flavours of mainframe (MVS/VM/OS 370/390).
I run XP. My setup is relable and secure (Cisco Pix and a Radius server (why?, because I can), and it runs the applications I need to do the stuff I want to do, without crashing. If I want to play in the Unix/Mac spaces, I use VMware.
As far as PDA's/handhelds, I'd suggest that windows mobile is neither great, nor horrible. It needs a bit of work in terms of customization , to get it to a really useable state. One of my favorite setups was to use XCPUScalar to enable true speed control on the CPU, according to load.
Favorite OS for me ? OS/2 - favorite Unix? - AIX
My thought is you run what you need to run, to give you the functionality you want.

That's my .02... feel free to flame away, won't bother me...

Cheers
Harold

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
I think that one of the biggest problems that make you starting to hate the N800 is ,maybe, too much expectation about the gadget. I founded the N800 looking for an internet radio device (sounds weird) but after look for those internet radios priced at 200/250 and see the N800 for the same price, and get many bonus like mp3 player, video player (with some troubles, but decent play), web browsing (not the best experience, but not so bad for such a small device) etc etc I donīt hesitate in buy it, and after keep it.
On the other hand I have my own frustrations with the N800, but all regarding software; mainly be unable to see email attachments (MSOffice) and also, as a internet streaming player, be unable to listen/watch all the media around, mostly the WM based.
My concern is I have reading that web experience with OS2008 is not better, in fact is worst regarding the speed. That's could be a problem.
I've got clear that never will pay $400+ for the N810. IMHO is a rip off.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I bought a 770 a couple of months ago cheap 2nd hand to see whether I'd like it... I did, and recently splashed some cash on a relatively cheap N800 (just waiting to arrive) as I expect it to make up for the limits of the 770! The only downside of moving to the 800 is the loss of the hard slip case.

I find the 770's "always ready" to be key - with wireless at home and work it means I can load up the many RSS feeds I have set and so always have something to read.

I still use my Sharp Zaurus C3200 when I need a keyboard to any programming or simply to admin a computer (the CF slot is mighty useful to swap in a wired ethernet), but the 770 wins over in terms of convenient to grab.

My 770 is going to be set aside to be a VNC terminal to control my multimedia jukebox when the 800 arrives, a task I think it will excel at.