Is the CSSU effort still alive? I've been doing some updating efforts of my own and have ported Maemo 4.x API changes to new versions of glib, libpixmap, cairo, pango, and atk. My idea is to get a brand new GTK+ stack on the tablets. I also ported a new version of bluez (see here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81323), but that will take some recoding in order to get the Bluetooth applet to play nice. Also ported dbus, but that's out of whack for some reason.

Anyway, I'm working on porting the latest GTK+ at the moment. I've got a big diff file that's about 24k lines of patches and have gotten through 4k =). Is there an IRC channel you guys hang out on? Let me know if you'd like to use my source packages.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to earksiinni For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by earksiinni View Post
Is the CSSU effort still alive? I've been doing some updating efforts of my own and have ported Maemo 4.x API changes to new versions of glib, libpixmap, cairo, pango, and atk. My idea is to get a brand new GTK+ stack on the tablets. I also ported a new version of bluez (see here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81323), but that will take some recoding in order to get the Bluetooth applet to play nice. Also ported dbus, but that's out of whack for some reason.

Anyway, I'm working on porting the latest GTK+ at the moment. I've got a big diff file that's about 24k lines of patches and have gotten through 4k =). Is there an IRC channel you guys hang out on? Let me know if you'd like to use my source packages.
Another CSSU could be possible, it just depends on ourselves.
I wanted to do an update with some of the diablo-turbo fixes, but because of lack of time I didn't fixed the packaging yet.
We also have the applet desktop locking patch, and bstern patches.
We just need to put everything together with proper packaging.

Btw, why do you want to update the gtk stack? Because any program which depends on a newer gtk?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Any chance of getting an updated video codec for Google Talk?

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Btw, why do you want to update the gtk stack? Because any program which depends on a newer gtk?
Yep. A.K.A. upgrading AbiWord the hard way =)

Originally Posted by Addison
Maybe? It would be awesome if we could integrate it with the chat/dialer app.

Looks like Google Talk uses H.264 for video (http://code.google.com/apis/talk/ope...nications.html), which is heavily patent-encumbered. There's x264, an open source implementation, but I don't know what the legal ramifications are. At any rate, it should be feasible technically, assuming that's the only major hurdle. I'll look into it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earksiinni For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
^ Wow!

Thank you so much for considering this.

whew! I am on board with this. N810 getting a little rusty, but i will turn off flip clock, dust off the screen and prepare for testing. before the cssu release i was taking the beta updates for lma, i would be happy to jump onboard again! unfortunatly i dont have much coding xp, but i can definatly test and report! let me know if you want an N810 and a power user to abuse!

The Following User Says Thank You to cstryon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
I think osso media player does H264 in dsp. But doing it on cpu is basically impossible (see mplayer and various "mobile"videos).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Gentoo uses the binaries provided by Google so my guess is that Google does not publish the source, otherwise Gentoo would be compiling it. Assuming the source is available it is highly unlikely the Internet Call app could link to a newer version since it has gone through a major version bump.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso
I think osso media player does H264 in dsp. But doing it on cpu is basically impossible (see mplayer and various "mobile"videos).
Hmm, so you're saying that media player already has an H264 codec?

Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
Gentoo uses the binaries provided by Google so my guess is that Google does not publish the source, otherwise Gentoo would be compiling it. Assuming the source is available it is highly unlikely the Internet Call app could link to a newer version since it has gone through a major version bump.
I'm completely unfamiliar with Google Talk's interfaces, but it looks like it's all fairly open standards compliant. Everything is XMPP/libjingle and they list the codecs that will work. Pidgin also seems to support it: http://lifehacker.com/5340632/pidgin...-voice-support

Can you point me to this binary blob in Gentoo?

The Following User Says Thank You to earksiinni For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by earksiinni View Post
Pidgin also seems to support it: http://lifehacker.com/5340632/pidgin...-voice-support

Can you point me to this binary blob in Gentoo?
http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugi...6.0-1_i386.deb

Gentoo uses the deb provided by Google.

If Pidgin has support and someone can make the new plugin work on Maemo then it would probably be more feasible to get it working with Pidgin.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:

Tags
diablo, maemo 4