At first, I loved it, but now its being troublesome.

Some hardware annoyances is the fact that you have to have the stand open just to use the USB connection or get access to the external SD card slot. This is annoying because since I use a boxwave FlexiSkin case, I have to take it off everytime I want to transfer a large amount of files to my computer. Otherwise I could just use bluetooth.

Those aren't major things. I could live with those alone. The N800 is suppose to be a Internet Tablet, it goes on the internet pretty well and probably is the best portable internet device. However, if you are trying to do anything practical, it is very very slow. Browsing on these forums for example on the N800 is slow.. it stutters when using the "drag scrolling". It is somewhat better when just pressing and holding down on the D-Pad, but then it becomes unresponsive then just keeps on scrolling even when you are not pressing anymore.

Again, not a major thing. I could live with that. Really thats just a minor annoyance. The major things for me are the fact that the N800 really can't do anything useful other then that. Sure it has a webcam. However, its usefullness is almost none since you can't use it to talk to people that are on PC's (Skype, AIM, etc). Since its bound to Tablets alone, the webcam is useless. Not to mention that its put in such a poor place that you have to angle yourself just to get a full frame.

The "Media" features in it are poor as well. I mean, it can play music pretty nicely when using programs like the bulit in media player, or UKMP, Canola, Kagu, etc. So thats not really a problem. When you move into Video, however it starts getting pretty stupid. Before I had a N800, I had a PDA, this PDA could play any video that I put on it assuming its in 320 X 240 resoultion. Now, I know of a website that has alot of videos that are iPod Pre-converted. I assume that the N800 would be able to play these video's without me having to do anything.

First I try to play a video of a Mac and PC commercial. On mPlayer it stutters horribly, so I cancel that out. On the official media player, I have better results. Seemingly it plays perfectly for the first 15 seconds or so, then it starts stuttering extremely, then when I try to do anything it says that its unresponsive so I close out of that. I learned from this experience that the N800 is useless for any non-transcoded videos.

There is alot more that I hate about it. However, I don't hate my N800, moreso I am starting to hate it. However, there is a heavenly light shining upon my N800.

Supposedely when OS2008 is complete and not in beta, is should fix many of the issues that I talked about such as crashing programs, smoother internet performance and more. It is also good that Canola 2 will be coming out which will bring a nicer media experience.

Anyway, the point of this post is that Nokia needs to work on their software. Since this always seems to be the problem with them. Their hardware is almost always superior to the competition (If thats their goal anyway, IE: Nokia n95 vs. iPhone, Nokia E Series vs. HTC, etc). But their crap software and interface is always what kills them.

If with OS2008 they want to make it finger friendly, then they need to be consistent. Some menus have the large scroll bars, others do not. etc etc.

I'm considering selling my N800 for something else. (Perhaps an Asus Eee?)

Last edited by Beni; 2007-12-04 at 19:55.

Well i'm a newbie and just bought the N810 i'm afraid you will encounter the same problems with os 2008. Its for sure a nich product. I will give the N810 some time but I have the same feelings as you about the nokia tablets. ssssslow

Good luck

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Asus Eee won't fit in your pocket but you should give it a try or maybe an ipod touch or a windows based UMPC. There are many options out there these days and this is simply better for us as consumers. You should try the OS2008 before selling the experience seems to be a lot more polished.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I´ve had that skin for almost a year now and it doesn´t bother me. I change batteries several times a day, because I use the N800 a lot, and it takes me maybe three seconds to take off the skin, if that long.

I think that 2008 is a lot faster.

Originally Posted by Beni View Post
Some hardware annoyances is the fact that you have to have the stand open just to use the USB connection or get access to the external SD card slot. This is annoying because since I use a boxwave FlexiSkin case, I have to take it off everytime I want to transfer a large amount of files to my computer. Otherwise I could just use bluetooth.
Interesting that that's a problem for you. I thought it was great, because my kickstand is open whenever it's not in my pocket; it makes a great hand-strap to reduce the chance of droppage. The kickstand keeps the ports from collecting pocket-lint. I suppose with a case, which reduces the effects of droppage, it becomes a problem. But I transfer large files via sftp (over 802.11g). If I had USB 2.0 in my Windows box, (whence my large files usually come) that might become my standard recourse, but it's easier for me to run wireless and not worry.
Sure it has a webcam. However, its usefullness is almost none since you can't use it to talk to people that are on PC's (Skype, AIM, etc). Since its bound to Tablets alone, the webcam is useless. Not to mention that its put in such a poor place that you have to angle yourself just to get a full frame.
Yes, the webcam is limited utility ATM. But Gizmo project can now use it, and Skype has Linux video support FINALLY, so N800 video support can't be long in coming. As for the location, well, I just want to know what they were smoking when they came up with that. And OS2008 won't fix that, I'm afraid.
However, there is a heavenly light shining upon my N800.
Hallelujah, Amen!
Supposedely when OS2008 is complete and not in beta, is should fix many of the issues that I talked about such as crashing programs, smoother internet performance and more.
I sure hope so.
If with OS2008 they want to make it finger friendly, then they need to be consistent. Some menus have the large scroll bars, others do not. etc etc.
I agree, though it's already surprisingly finger-friendly when holding still. It's when you start walking that it becomes problematic.

You've got some valid points here, and I do hope ITOS2008 fixes them. Be warned: the first production release will not. But a release or 2 down the road, it should be a lot better.

Well, if you do decide to sell, there's probably a bunch of optimists like me willing to buy. And hope that, a month before ITOS2009 is released, ITOS2008 will finally be working excellently.

Well, If I did sell I have alot of stuff that I would sell

-Nokia N800 (W/ Box and all accessories)
- 2 8GB SDHC cards
- FlexiSkin
- miniUSB to USB Adapter (For Host Mode)
- Hard Case

etc etc

i'm with you...i'm about to sell mine. This weekend is the deciding pinnacle.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Re: video, OS2008 also supports SIP video via h.263 which can work with a PC and also we should be able to do video to PC over Jabber (if someone would just make a PC Jabber client that supports jingle-video. Hello Google, you pen'd the spec??)

As far as the stand covering USB, I like it also. I don't use it a lot so it keeps the socket clean Wifi and BT are just so much easier for what I transfer.

I have to say awhile ago about a month after I first bought the N800 I thought "My God, I spent all this money and I really don't even like this device." I ended up putting it away and not using it for almost a month and I kept telling myself that I'd sell it soon. I never got around to putting it up on eBay and I started up one day and just started using it, downloading the new software and homebrew items and started using it regularly. Now my Video iPod is the one collecting dust, the only real benefit is the gb of space (which I don't need that much music or video with me, I only use it for my commute to work). The N800 has everyday practical use.

I recommend doing what I did before you lash out and sell it. Mostly because you're going to lose so much money on re-selling it's almost not worth it. If you can buy it new for $200 nowadays how much could you possibly make on the resell? Unless you really need the money, why not just keep it and put it away, who knows maybe in the future you'll find a use for it and start using it again like I did.

If all you're looking for is internet, music and video an iPod Touch would probably be a great device for you. Good luck

PS - Who has heard about the Cowon Q5W!? I think this is the true N810 and every other UMPC for that matter killer, not the Asus Eee.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/c...gps-329335.php

I don't get it. Who wants to use video during a phone call?