Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Moving on: whatsmyuseragents.com reports essentially the same thing yours does. Mozilla/5.0 etc. etc. Maemo Browser etc (I'll copy and paste if you feel there's relevant info there).
"Essentially" the same? If it's exactly the same, don't bother, but if there's any difference, please do -- I'm afraid that's the only plausible mechanism I can think of.

This is where GMail's table stopped, but earlier this morning when I was first noticing this problem, I noticed that if I logged out then logged in, it would list both in the same time slot too. My guess is that the not-identical time stamps for the bottom two pairs that I do have are from longer sessions while I was trying to get GMail to log out the 'mobile' connection, and then toggle the view from standard to HTML and back to see if it switched. The problem was is that the 'mobile' connection was logged back in as soon as it was possible to even check (my guess is GMail didn't record every single log-in/log-out of the Mobile connection, but noted them occasionally, or something. *Shrug*).
Yeah, something weird there, for sure.

As for why I think my connection is the 'browser' one and the 'mobile' is some background device one? When GMail has an account logged into from two or more connections, and you scroll down to the bottom to the part where it tells you about this, and click the details, gives you the concurrent session information in a separate table. And in this table (and I just tested again just to be sure - Mobile connected at 11:15, browser at 11:16. I'm sure the difference was seconds at most, and I don't know if it means anything that Mobile was first this time), it says "Mobile" for the concurrent connection, not "Browser". Since the history shows only two connections being established, the Browser and the Mobile ones, the fact that the other session is the "Mobile" one suggests the Browser is the one you, as the user, are viewing everything through. That, or GMail royally glitches on me every single time I've logged into it from my N900 since this started.
Makes sense -- the only thing that comes to mind is that maybe the activity/IP log stuff is itself counted as browser, not mobile, access.

Either way, I'm really not seeing a plausible mechanism for either the browser redirection, or an additional "Mobile" session -- whichever comes first -- to happen, e
specially since someone else with the same symptoms said that fennec was still getting them the standard page.

At this point, if there's no difference in the UA, I guess my next step would be to try wireshark to watch for additional connections, but I'm not horribly optimistic.

Oh, one last idea -- you don't happen to have greasemonkey, do you? I can where see some greasemonkey script attempting to optimize gmail mobile for the tablet's display size (I used one at one point) could also add a redirect, making the standard version inaccessible. If you have greasemonkey installed, go into Options > Add-ons and disable it, and see if that changes anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
I cannot test it myself, since I have a Google-apps account and not a Google account itself, so my URL pointing to my "Gmail"-Inbox looks quite different. But I found this after 2 minutes of trying:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...l&answer=15049

It says:
If you're directed to the basic HTML view of Gmail, but would like to try using the standard Gmail view, visit http://mail.google.com/mail?nocheckbrowser. Keep in mind that standard view may not work, even with this link, if your browser isn't supported.

The Following User Says Thank You to schaggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Inacurate View Post
(...) If FF worked better (...)
Btw, Firefox in short is Fx, not FF...
How do I spell Firefox? How do I abbreviate it?
Firefox is spelled F-i-r-e-f-o-x - only the first letter capitalized (i.e. not FireFox, not Foxfire, FoxFire or whatever else a number of folk seem to think it to be called.) The preferred abbreviation is "Fx" or "fx".
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox...1.0.6.html#FAQ (Scroll down to #8)

Originally Posted by schaggo View Post
I cannot test it myself, since I have a Google-apps account and not a Google account itself, so my URL pointing to my "Gmail"-Inbox looks quite different. But I found this after 2 minutes of trying:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...l&answer=15049

It says:
Doesn't work for me, just gives me the mobile view.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Korova For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
Strangely, the https://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/ website still gives me the "old" mobile view (i.e. m.gmail.com ). The same goes for http://mail.google.com/mail?nocheckbrowser website. Has anyone has success with loading the real full website? I remember i used to get everything loaded correctly, even chat would load.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmc8501 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I just tried the link to "no check browser" thing. No luck. Same problem. I'd like to ask others who are having this issue to scroll down in GMail, go to basic HTML, and see if it tells you you're logged in from another connection or not. And if it's not too much trouble copy and paste what the 'Details' link tells you.

I suspect we're all having the same problem, but maybe not.

Ideally we should get a comparison of everything we have installed too. I have:

Maemo 5 with pr1.2 and stock kernel. No change to partitions, etc.

VGB
VGBA
MyPaint
Opera
Midori
Firefox
Tear (got it after this problem arose)
fMMS
FM Radio
ForecaWeather
Health Check
MaeGirls
Maemo Recorder
XChat IRC
Moodlight
Liquid War
QtIrreco
Wireshark (gotten after this started)
Extra Decoders Support
Ogg Support
Midi Support
Array Theme
Marina Theme
Harmony Theme
Melody Theme
World City Theme
3G/2G/Dual Mode Selection Applet
Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking
Cellular Modem Control Buttons
Flashlight
cpumem-applet
Live Focus
OpenSSH Client and Server
Portrait Keyboard
Recaller
rootsh
Simple Brightness Applet
TuneWiki Desktop Widget

(...holy **** I have more than I tought)
Unless otherwise indicated, I got them before this GMail thing happened. (The only thing I did right before is ran two commands that glitched my x-term into crashing upon "killall hildon-input-method" - they switch the kyboard between the portrait-friendly one and the default.)

Anyway, I have WireShark installed now - but it'll take me day or two to learn my way around enough to figure out what packets to capture, let alone what they mean.

1. Go to about:config in the browser

2. Search for general.useragent.vendor scroll or click on it then press the Enter key

3. Change it to Firefox/3.5 (remove all the Maemo specific stuff at the end)

4. GMail loads normally

This only works for that session. I think there's another one you can set that stays even if the browser is restarted. Maybe using HideUserAgent and setting a different user agent manually works...

Anyway it's definitely google forcing the mobile site based on the user agent, just like facebook is doing now.

Last edited by SD.; 2010-06-14 at 06:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD. For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Well, I'll see what Wireshark can give me, but the reason I'm not so sure about the GMail forcing thing is because I haven't seen everyone report back that their GMail is giving them the mobile version.

But I AM starting to lean that way. If it is the case, then I have to go figure out how to contact Google and complain about it. It's bull, and I don't think it's right that I should need to change user agents, even if I can do it easily, just because Google decided arbitrarily for me what my browser should display...

(Insert rant from first post here. With more cuss-words for emphasis.)

first of all, not everyone uses gmail on their mobile, so everyone complaining isn't going to happen but it certainly sux having this problem. i've got it as well, and even the nocheckbrowser option gives me the mobile view. the only thing that works is the solution involving about:config and the useragent vendor string, and it only works for the current session and only in the window where the about:config was opened.

The Following User Says Thank You to adancau For This Useful Post:
Okay, previously, as I have said, mine worked fine, gave me standard Gmail, all was happy and couldn't figure out other people's problems...

As of today, though, now I'm also being redirected to mobile. Maybe it was a staged rollout, and didn't hit the servers nearest me until today...

Anyway, Now I join Mentalist Traceur in ness!

Oh, here's a Gmail help forum topic!

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: