Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
In case someone still had doubts that it was safe to use the N900's LED flash as a light source, I have a quick story.

A few days ago, my dorm's bathroom lights burned out. Maintenance hasn't fixed it yet. When using the bathroom, or showering, I have to use the N900's LED flashlight. It provides enough light that if pointed at a wall, the entire bathroom is visibly illuminated.

Better yet, today my GF and I showered together while only having the N900's LED's to illuminate the bathroom (I left it out of reach of water, obviously). For at least 15 minutes (prob'ly longer), the LEDs were constantly on using the flashlight status menu applet. They still work just fine, didn't burn out, noticeably change or heat up, etc. So while I realize hardware may have some differences, I suspect that you can file this away as yet another reason to think the flash LEDs are perfectly safe to use as a flashlight, even for longer periods of time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
any idea about the life in the long term?? I'd be more concerned about that.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Better yet, today my GF and I showered together while only having the N900's LED's to illuminate the bathroom
We need PICTURES for further investigation.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
why wouldn't it last ? It's an LED, not a flash bulb like on the older phones. LED have a very long life expectancy.(7 years irc)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aligatro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
hahahahahaha! =))

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
i'd rather say it's a case of "video or it didn't happen".

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Thailand
Doubfully what is GF?
Girlfriend? Grand Father? Grape Fruit?

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Better yet, today my GF and I showered together while only having the N900's LED's to illuminate the bathroom (I left it out of reach of water, obviously).......didn't.... noticeably change or heat up, etc.
i think youre doing it wrong

The Following User Says Thank You to jerryfreak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
i think youre doing it wrong
GF = Guy friend, Gay Friend

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
LED's do not generate heat. You wire a resistor in series with them to ensure that the voltage they see never goes above a certain level, and this controls whether they heat up or not. An LED *should* have virtually limitless lifespan, and it is more likley that the other components of the circuit will give way before any LED will.

And you only managed 15 minutes? She won't be your GF long with that kinda performance. Although, if only YOUR legs were touching the ground I'd rescind that comment

The Following User Says Thank You to Switch_ For This Useful Post: