Originally Posted by wangyi6854 View Post
Hi, my n900 reboot reboot again when I upgrade to v50. How can I revert to default kernel or delete new kernel?
Enable internet connection
go to menu and then click on nokia kernel
wait for some time
It will do everything for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sourav.dubey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sourav.dubey View Post
Enable internet connection
go to menu and then click on nokia kernel
wait for some time
It will do everything for you.
Thanks!

I've reflash kernel using flasher cause I can't boot into system any more.

I have just come back from a trip to Japan where I extensively tested this new kernel with the camera applications
- cameraui
- blessn900
- panorama

The veredict is - extremely unreliable behavior.

I am very much inclined to blame *PANORAMA* for most of my troubles, but at the same time I'm hesitant to put the blame on a camera application written by Nokia...

Here is an ordinary test scenario that I repeated everyday during this trip:
- start by taking photos with cameraui, opening and closing the lens cover several times as I walked through sightseeing
- ocasionally close cameraui, open blessn900, take a few snaps
- go back to cameraui closing blessn900, take some more snaps
- close cameraui, open panorama (waiting forever), take 1 panorama
- ok, close lens, after a while take another panorama
- be angry because panorama either crashes or can't take photos
- kill panorama, restart it, try again

More often than not, panorama would render my device unusable for photography. I would have to reboot just in order to be able to take any photos.

One particular symptom was that the shutter button would no longer shoot, but instead would launch new instances of the cameraui.

With cameraui, I would be able to shoot with the keyboard but for blessn900 for example this was very annoying.

I tried several times using only the stock profile but also tried with a UXV profile up to 805mhz with SmartReflex enabled.
Nothing helped.

Video capturing was very sluggish but I expected this since I wasn't overclocking enough for about 70% of the time. So, working as expected anyways...

During these 10 days, I found that the device would ultimately require a reboot whenever I :
- enabled an overclocked profile that ran undervoltage
- tried blessn900 or panorama (especially with panorama)
- the device would be completely unusable for photography
That's why I tried to stick with the stock profile...*sigh*

I'm stuck with a huntch that this problem must relate to intensive disk I/O, and that whith undervolted overclocking, something starts going wrong and those photo apps that do a lot of temp read/write get somehow f*cked up. This will eventually affect also the cameraui and the shutter button behavior.

Oh, and yes I always made sure only 1 camera app was running at a time.

Don't really know how to proceed from here but I'm so pissed at this malfunction that I'm eager to participate intensively on a testing effort to try and find the culprit. Freemangordon, if you've anything on your mind, drop a line.

Last edited by carloxic; 2012-05-30 at 09:21.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carloxic For This Useful Post:
Good afternoon to everybody,
from the installation of kernel power I have one problem.

When I connect my N900 to the pc with the usb cable it don't go in selecting area... (mass memory or pc suite mode).

At the moment when I connect the usb cable the device go only in recharging mode...someone have this problem?
there are solution?

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Did I make something wrong? I had old kernel installed, and I updated via Application Manager, and just noticed "If you have one of the older packages installed it you need to upgrade in X Terminal" in Maemo Wiki. Is that bad? Should I do something?
Just restarted, and it seems runnig well, but still worrying.

Anyway, over 9000 thanks for the developer, I'm glad to see that N900 is still alive!

@Andrea
nope but fast network transfer (directly between N900 and PC) over USB crashes sytem a hell.
No crashes on storage mode. No crashes over wifi. I can't setup network via bluetooth, so no tests here.

Reproducible crash scenario: prepare network connection between N900 and PC via USB, and class 4 Empty 32GB card.
Now login via ssh port from PC using winscp to N900 and copy 16GB of data with multifolder structure to N900's /media/mmc1.
Always reproducible on KP50 on my side. Doing same via mass storage went fine (so card is good). Never crashed when ssh-ing via wifi.

It seems USB-networking driver is utterly bad. With slow connection (routing via 256KBps bandwith to internet server) it also crashes but somewhat rarer.
I suggest investigating bugs in USB-networking driver and why it maintain to force KP50 to reboot. Remember it's old problem but it seems for me it occurs much more frequent now.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by carloxic View Post
I have just come back from a trip to Japan where I extensively tested this new kernel with the camera applications
- cameraui
- blessn900
- panorama

The verdict is - extremely unreliable behavior.

I'm stuck with a huntch that this problem must relate to intensive disk I/O, and that whith undervolted overclocking, something starts going wrong and those photo apps that do a lot of temp read/write get somehow f*cked up. This will eventually affect also the cameraui and the shutter button behavior.

<snip>

Oh, and yes I always made sure only 1 camera app was running at a time.

Don't really know how to proceed from here but I'm so pissed at this malfunction that I'm eager to participate intensively on a testing effort to try and find the culprit. Freemangordon, if you've anything on your mind, drop a line.
It's not really a matter of undervoltage (fcam-driver apps are CPU-bound unless you have ABC), it's more of a single process consuming gobs and gobs of RAM (29MB in system RAM, 121MB with swap).

As these two apps both need lots of RAM to take the pictures they do (blessn900 multiple exposure+processing and Panorama multiple shots to stitch together), it's quite possible that somewhere along the line, fcam-drivers simply crash.

A possible solution may be to try to optimize your system. Start with a fresh reflash, then move swap to SD, apply the IO anti-contention-under-extreme-loads kernel tuning, disable background applications you don't need (modest comes to mind) and overclock to 900MHz (maximum supported by SmartReflex).

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ portugal
hi, i am interested in this subject and your advice as i am having trouble with hd recording..can you please link me to this IO
anti-contention-under-extreme-loads kernel tuning? i am noob and never read about it in the forum..tks.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Bellary/Bangalore [Karntaka]
hey Guyz installed kernel power50 twice till now... and had a lot of problems like
1. Overheating (kp49 works without overheating though).
2. Constant reboots while switchin on the phone, (starts after 5-7 reboots).
3. Battery drain is more than compared to kp49.

P.S: Sometimes while installing it replaces stock kernel, even while using multiboot and kp bootimg.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Still experiencing none of those issues. Maybe my N900 simply isn't that messed up.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery test, i <3 fmg, i <3 pali, igottaboner, kernel, kernel-power, viva fmg, viva pali