Notices

Preface: If you are kind enough to try to help me with this please keep in mind the following:
1) sending me somewhere else without a direct link or asking me to search the forums will not help me
2) I am not a programmer and do not understand at least 75% of what's spoken about in these forums, so please explain things as if you were talking to a noob(ie)

Still reading? Great. Hi - I'm trying to use the dbus switchboard to associate .doc files with Abiword and to create a handler line for Canola should I decide to associate media files with it. While using Dbus switchboard, I think I've figured out the Xrefs tab, and how to create a new handler name in the Handlers tab, but I have no clue what to write in the command line, specifically for Abiword and Canola once I've created them in the Editor as Handlers. Please, walk me through this as you would a ten-year-old non-native speaker!!! Thanks!

Last edited by Cigarovich; 2009-05-05 at 23:05. Reason: needed ??

I dont think i can or would want to explain it to a ten year old... that would be cruel to both of us

dbus switchboard only works with applications that accept command line arguments. first step is to figure out the program name... for abiword it should be just abiword. So make your handler 'abiword %params2%' and see if that works.

I'm not sure canola supports command line arguments since it acts as its own browser... you could try 'canola %params2%' but i dont know it that will work.

If you dont know the command to launch a program, but you have an icon in your programs menu, you can look at the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/hildon to track this down. Emelfm2 filemanager can do this.

I also have an ext2 appliance for abiword which the handler would be something like :
ext2run /media/mmc1/appliances/abiword-100meg.ext2 %params%

So basically you would have to practice launching from xterm first to figure out how it needs to be formatted.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:
fyi you were very close it was %params% without the 2 for abiword