First off, I love my n900, I do, that's why I got it a couple years ago. Problem is, I'm getting more and more tired of how slow it is at doing just about everything. I watch friends with their iphones and droids and s2s and nexus etc, do everything so fast.

Most of the time I use my n900 for normal things like maps and internet browsing, but doing just those two things is PAINFULLY slow. The map program won't use agps so it takes a minute or two OR more to get a gps lock. Problem with internet browsing even on 3g and 3.5 seems to be the speed of the phone displaying everything. When I do speed tests, it's many mb/s, but yet it's slower than everyone else around me, like I'm on 2g speeds.

Those are just 2 issues. Yes I have tried the search function, problem is there is too much info and it doesn't seem.....consolidated.

I have found a lot of useful info here in the past, but it always took MANY hours of searching. I could have sworn that I saw some threads that had a lot of consolidated info on just making the n900 function on par AND better than most other phones in most functions.

I was all set to get an s2 or nexus 4 simply because I was tired of not being able to do regular tasks quickly and easily. But I know the n900 is capable of being better and I don't wanna lose things like the stand alone gps, fm transmitter, and the os navigation to name a few.

Just hoping some of you vets can point me in the right direction. I'm sure it would only take a handful of apps/programs to make the n900 as capable or better than most newer phones. I just thought it would be easier to find them all in one spot. Isn't there a forum for just upgrading the n900 with apps and programs and tweaks to make it better, in general?

Again I have spent many hours and days in the past searching for upgrades and I found a few, but it just seemed to take WAY longer than it should have. I did put fmms on and upgraded to 1.3 and a couple other small things.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to themaxx69 For This Useful Post:
oops! I swore I put this in n900 forum! Could a mod please move it.

I did just find a couple threads on top apps and tweaks. Hopefully those will have most of what I need.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Off the top of my head, I recommend ModRana for maps, and QStarDict or GoldenDict as dictionary. There is Fennec 17 (XUL) as browser.
Though, I am not concerned about speeds at all, so my recommendations may be not the best for you.
Best wishes.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
GPS lock: Make sure in settings your location server is not the standard Nokia one, but
Code:
supl.google.com

Make your N900 run faster with a program called qCPUFreq. It needs a powerkernel, but does not need anything else than that. Use it only when needed as it allows you to overclock ad-hoc. My own two N900's won't go beyond 900 Mhz clockspeed, but there are plenty of reports from people claiming 1100Mhz is the max clock speed they got out of their devices.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56757

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
For web surfing I use opera, in my opinion a bit faster than microb, but ofcourse not all the features. But if you really want to make your N900 more responsive to use search the forum for Freemangordons Thumb2 thread and consider that option. I'm more than happy running my N900 with thumb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post: