Hey All,

I'm absolutely TERRIBLE at asking for technical advice... though a complete newb I'm really determined to get the answer for myself from other people's composite answers on (hopefully) similar issues..

..unless the time it takes REALLY starts to eat up my time to do anything else (such as contribute towards failing my degree for lack of time lol..)

So PLEASE PLEASE DEAR GOD somebody help me quickly PLEASE

HOW in the f&*%ing H$ll do f&*%ing DOWNLOAD apps (.deb files, but if you have time to explain from source, please by all means, too) using my COMPUTER (speed is of the ESSENCE) ie a HUGE BUNCH of apps, as in all the ones i could possibly want to USE or PLAY around with later

and THEN, INSTALL them... by selecting them from my 8GB SDHC card plugged into the n810...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE..I BEG you.. in your answer, tell me how to resolve DEPENDENCIES also..

so in summary:

1. How (and WHERE) do i MANUALLY download .debs from repositories using my COMPUTER (i gotta mac but its triple boot so i could use linux /windows)... can i use my browser to find these "hidden" directories in repository.maemo.blahlbahlblah....?

2. How do i resolve dependencies? I can SEE what dependencies i would need by looking with my n810 at the repositories...but if u know of another way great. But most of all how do i SEE them and be able to download them from my COMPUTER?

3. How do i make a "local repository" if thats possible (i dont care either way) OR just how do i INSTALL the APPS and GET the APPLICATION MANAGER to SEE that I HAVE the f&%$ing DEPENDENCIES available...just not by using the INTERNET (which seems frustratingly mandatory..and my hugest complaint about linux)

4. Because i am OBSESSED with downloading a BAZILLION apps, how in the heck do i change the default INSTALL location when APPLICATION MANAGER installs these deb files?

See because i like to f%&k around with linux and the n810 i will need to reflash my n810 a LOT...

for time's sake and not failing my degree, i CANT AFFORD to wait DAYS to re-download and re-install the bazillion apps (and dependencies) that I must (passion/addiction) try and use and play with (and some absolute essentials for my user-space brain also)

so please please please guys... I REALLY need your help on this one..ive searched for probably two weeks on this one determined to figure it out myself but im just not smart enough...

Thank you thank you if you can answer all my questions guys...

If I had any money I'd pay you for this GOLD if you could answer...

ach...maybe one day I can help someone programme... Im GOING to get to the level where I can start writing apps / tweaking apps using python at least, but its going to take me a very very long time... (not a logical genius...creative brain-side advantages only unfortunately)

First thought that comes to mind is I am pretty sure the tablet has a "backup" option, that allows you to save a file and then "restore" after your reflash.

But....

Another suggestion?? (can't guarantee it'll work.. don't have the tablet with me.. general linux knowledge speaking)..

Use the tablet.. Probably boot to SD because you'll need the extra space... install everything you could possibly want using the CLI (command line interface).. NOT Application Manager.. IE:

apt-get install <something>

Go through the whole process of doing this once. Then, when you're all done... copy out of the way the:

/var/cache/apt/archives

Folder contains all the .deb files and all their dependencies downloaded by apt. Just move all those .deb's out of the way. Once you reload the tablet, you'll need to get the package to get root (rootsh, gainroot, becomeroot, whatever).. then go back to CLI, go to the directory you dumped all those deb files and just:

dpkg -i *.deb

Or you can copy those deb's back into that folder above and just use apt.. it will automatically see that it has the packages and not try to re-download them.

... Your alternative is to manually download every dependency. Good Luck.

ETA: Caps and the Cussing don't help much .. I noticed at the beginning you said you don't like coming for advice until you've wasted hours on personal development.. and while I do understand this approach - usually at that time you are also frustrated and angry.. and it comes out at those helping. Sometimes this is more of a negative than it's worth.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2009-02-24 at 23:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
mmmm for some of your problem, i'm guessing you should clone your OS.
get a good size SD (2+ GB). install all the programs you usually install in your tablet.
then you can clone and boot from your SD and play around. If you mess up, just copy everything from the tablet.
Edit (heh i guess fatalsaint beat me to it. anyhow, i think install-tools is the easiest way to go)

The Following User Says Thank You to eliagp For This Useful Post:
I also came across This Gem using a quick search on the forums.

That one allows for a simple 2-3 command backup/restore but it also requires you to re-download everything..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

okay brilliant! Thank you both very very much

If anyone else has anything further to add I'd be truly grateful too!!

Ah..not conformist enough to the "rules" of writing...im sorry dude! the only reason i use capitals is that in a LOOOONG post, its much easier to READ... whoever came up with the idea that using CAPS is somehow shouting well... i don't know anyone who has a REAL crystal ball..lets put it that way lol...

But yes thank you very very much guys! That is VITAL info for me right there.. I wonder if its worth me coming back once ive got the system down to a T and explaining step by step so that other newbies like me (the dabbling newbie kind) can get this?

Okay cool..but yes, please if anyone else thinks of anything else please do share with me your thoughts! much appreciated guys! You're saving me SO much time!! Thank you thank you

Originally Posted by chakotay_da_silver View Post
Ah..not conformist enough to the "rules" of writing...im sorry dude! the only reason i use capitals is that in a LOOOONG post, its much easier to READ... whoever came up with the idea that using CAPS is somehow shouting well... i don't know anyone who has a REAL crystal ball..lets put it that way lol...
Sorry, but for me, they are not easier to read -- italics, underlines, and bold are a much more readable way of emphasizing words, and (where available) should IMHO be used to the exclusion of all caps, except for the conventional usage to actually indicate shouting. (A few uses of capital letters do make long posts more readable, of course: at the beginning of sentences, the word "I", and other proper nouns.)

As for crystal balls, they're hardly necessary; if this convention was one dude's concept, how did he enforce it on the rest of the online world? Its broad acceptance indicates that there's objective truth in it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Its broad acceptance indicates that there's objective truth in it
Oxy*****... Go figure..

Ah "General Antilles"... I've noticed MANY of your posts...sadly ALL of them seem to be grossly negative, unhelpful and downright making up for a lack of perhaps a girlfriend or social life...

I hope you recover your true inner confidence soon, instead of persistently trying to make up for it by putting others down... same for you too Benson, though I'm sure to a lesser degree..

For now, and for your own sake, your going on my ignore list.

Good luck with everything.

Last edited by chakotay_da_silver; 2009-02-25 at 01:52.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by chakotay_da_silver View Post
okay brilliant! Thank you both very very much

If anyone else has anything further to add I'd be truly grateful too!!

(Blah, blah, blah)...

Okay cool..but yes, please if anyone else thinks of anything else please do share with me your thoughts! much appreciated guys! You're saving me SO much time!! Thank you thank you
Um, perhaps if you stopped trying to install that "BAZILLION" +1 app, you wouldn't have to reflash so often.

...and BTW you can save any deb file you find with a Windows browser by just right clicking the dang link dude, and then selecting "SAVE AS".

As far as where to look; try UP. Look in the upper left corner of the web page you are reading right now.
Find this icon >> ...

Clicking on that will lead you to some of those "hidden" files.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-02-25 at 01:56.

stopped trying
Windows user? lol...

Constructive suggestions PLEASE...

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
As for crystal balls, they're hardly necessary; if this convention was one dude's concept, how did he enforce it on the rest of the online world? Its broad acceptance indicates that there's objective truth in it.
Broad acceptance? I'd say it is rather narrow acceptance, albeit universal within a small but dominant group!

I don't think I'm the only one who prefers the use of all caps to indicate emphasis, rather than italics, bold face, or underlining, for the simple reason that it can be done in plain text without resorting to markup language. But the catch is that it has to be minimal.

In a pinch, I'll go for *asterisks* or _bracketing with underscores_ (am I bringing back some memories -- or nightmares -- for old BBS users?), but I'd rather not rely on hidden codes to convey my meaning in a public discourse.

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbH For This Useful Post: