Originally Posted by chakotay_da_silver View Post
Ah "General Antilles"... I've noticed MANY of your posts...sadly ALL of them seem to be grossly negative, unhelpful and downright making up for a lack of perhaps a girlfriend or social life...

I hope you recover your true inner confidence soon, instead of persistently trying to make up for it by putting others down... same for you too Benson, though I'm sure to a lesser degree..

For now, and for your own sake, your going on my ignore list.

Good luck with everything.
And with that, you may have damaged yourself beyond repair. Here at ITT, I mean.

Despite his gift for annoying and getting under people's skins, the General does, in fact, provide helpful information. He is knowledgable, and he is respected by a lot of the others actually have a clue and might be willing to share it with those of us who don't... but only as long as we behave ourselves.

Doing battle with the General is (and here I'll use the technique we both prefer for indicating emphasized words) NOT a great way to establish yourself at ITT.

Last edited by RobbH; 2009-02-25 at 03:54. Reason: correcting typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
I'd say. Btw, where did that come from? he hasn't posted here except for a thanks. Picking random battles is not a way to establish yourself anywhere, though "damage beyond repair" maybe pushing it.
This is *usually* a friendly forum, and while discussions maybe common when debating about this or the other (n900 should NOT be a phone XD), lets try to keep personal attacks on youtube.

The Following User Says Thank You to eliagp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I kinda browsed through this, but personally, if I find a app that is not in the extras repo, I download the DEB file to a memory card. Then, just run a quick script that dpkg -i every single deb. Easy.

Also, it is smart to experiment on say the flash boot, and keep your stable directory on your SD card. This way, you can screw around all you want and don't have to worry about it at all...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Okay cool..

Thanks Thesandlord!! I'll look into how to get the stable directory on the SD card (seen it SOMEWHERE around here..)

And yeah - with that I'll have LOADS of space to add bazillions of apps!

Awesome. I think this is really starting to come together!!

Thanks guys!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Okay cool..

Thanks Thesandlord!! I'll look into how to get the stable directory on the SD card (seen it SOMEWHERE around here..)

And yeah - with that I'll have LOADS of space to add bazillions of apps!

Awesome. I think this is really starting to come together!!

Thanks guys!

Good for you!

Now , perhaps you can start reading this forum and others. That way you may accomplish 2 things:

1. Most questions have been answered already. Usually by someone who makes the time to read the forums.

2. How painful and inefficient it is to read overly wordy or sometimes visually distracting posts of questions that have been answered before. Particularly annoying are questions that never would have been asked in the first place if there was a rudimentary understanding of even the OS used to make the dang post.

BTW, I wouldn't have bothered to even read this thread if it hadn't kept popping up in the "New Posts" list because of inane back and forth over style and not content.

I realize I am now guilty of that too and I apologize for this distraction.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
It should be a rule, not like a fraternity rule of kissing up to old members to fit in but, at least that any newbie that comes in the forum shouldn't start by picking random battles with anyone. Especially when said newbie is looking for help.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ah "General Antilles"... same for you too Benson, though I'm sure to a lesser degree.. For now, and for your own sake, your going on my ignore list.
If you are putting General Antilles and Benson on your ignore list, I would be greatly honoured to be put on your ignore list, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
Broad acceptance? I'd say it is rather narrow acceptance, albeit universal within a small but dominant group!

I don't think I'm the only one who prefers the use of all caps to indicate emphasis, rather than italics, bold face, or underlining, for the simple reason that it can be done in plain text without resorting to markup language. But the catch is that it has to be minimal.

In a pinch, I'll go for *asterisks* or _bracketing with underscores_ (am I bringing back some memories -- or nightmares -- for old BBS users?), but I'd rather not rely on hidden codes to convey my meaning in a public discourse.
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Sorry, but for me, they are not easier to read -- italics, underlines, and bold are a much more readable way of emphasizing words, and (where available) should IMHO be used to the exclusion of all caps, except for the conventional usage to actually indicate shouting.
(emphasis added)

When the visible effects of my "hidden codes" are not available, or will likely not be available to some recipients (e.g. email), I fall back on the reliable plaintext methods: underscores, asterisks, and limited caps are all useful. But I see no reason to use less-effective forms when communicating on a channel with greater capability.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
If you are putting General Antilles and Benson on your ignore list, I would be greatly honoured to be put on your ignore list, too.
I agree with this. And may I also subscribe to said ignore list?? I kinda feel stupid having tried to answer the question now too.

Last I checked.. you certainly don't get help by attacking some of the smarter members of the board.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
yeah, I was going to reply, but saw that it was already being handled. now, I'm only replying to this topic in the hopes that I'll be added to the ignore list as well...

The Following User Says Thank You to briand For This Useful Post: