Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I found it a frustrating exercise to get the patch for locking and un-locking the home-screen applets in place to work but I finally managed to do so and it seems to work well for me.

Since I'm a total Linux n00b and struggled a bit I thought that there may be others out there like me that would benefit from more of a step-by-step.

Disclaimer: Following these instructions is your own decision and I take no responsibility for anything bad that may come out of it :-)

Also, note, I believe that this is only applicable to OS2008.

1) Download the required files.
In this thread qwerty12 lists the three files needed.

Download them one by one to a folder on your tablet that you can easily get to.
Me, I put them on a folder on the internal memory card I had created named "Content".

2) Install the files
This does require a few steps.

a) Open up Xterminal

b) Give yourself root access (me, I use rootsh and issue the command "root" and presto, I have root access and can do things I most likely never should).

c) Browse to the folder you saved the files in.
I had mine in a folder named "Content" on the internal memory card so I did:
cd /media/mmc2/content

c) I then issued the command "ls -l" to make sure I was in the right folder and that the files were there.

d) Then issue these three commands:
dpkg -i hildon-desktop_2.0.18-1fix1_armel.deb
dpkg -i libhildondesktop0_2.0.18-1fix1_armel.deb
dpkg -i libhildonwm0_2.0.18-1fix1_armel.deb

3) Re-start the tablet

You're done. If you now go to the home-option (see my screen shot) you now have an option to toggle the apps to be 'locked in place' or 'movable'.

I love it.
Attached Images

AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2009-07-27 at 05:42.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Works perfectly! Thanks!! Great fix!!!

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
You can replace these with dpkg -i hildon-desktop_2.0.18-1fix1_armel.deb libhildondesktop0_2.0.18-1fix1_armel.deb libhildonwm0_2.0.18-1fix1_armel.deb

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
You can replace these with dpkg -i hildon-desktop_2.0.18-1fix1_armel.deb libhildondesktop0_2.0.18-1fix1_armel.deb libhildonwm0_2.0.18-1fix1_armel.deb
I have these installed (specifically, 2.0.18-1fix1), have rebooted and still don't see the lock in the menu.

--vr

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
I found it a frustrating exercise to get the patch for locking and un-locking the home-screen applets in place to work but I finally managed to do so and it seems to work well for me.

Since I'm a total Linux n00b and struggled a bit I thought that there may be others out there like me that would benefit from more of a step-by-step.

Disclaimer: Following these instructions is your own decision and I take no responsibility for anything bad that may come out of it :-)

Also, note, I believe that this is only applicable to OS2008.

1) Download the required files.
In this thread qwerty12 lists the three files needed.

Download them one by one to a folder on your tablet that you can easily get to.
Me, I put them on a folder on the internal memory card I had created named "Content".

2) Install the files
This does require a few steps.

a) Open up Xterminal

b) Give yourself root access (me, I use rootsh and issue the command "root" and presto, I have root access and can do things I most likely never should).

c) Browse to the folder you saved the files in.
I had mine in a folder named "Content" on the internal memory card so I did:
cd /media/mmc2/content

c) I then issued the command "ls -l" to make sure I was in the right folder and that the files were there.

d) Then issue these three commands:

3) Re-start the tablet

You're done. If you now go to the home-option (see my screen shot) you now have an option to toggle the apps to be 'locked in place' or 'movable'.

I love it.

can you or anyone else help me install this,..

I have all three of the files and the root download but once i put the first command in the Xterminal it said not found... i dnt have much experience in command lines...

please help, thanks

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
can you or anyone else help me install this,..

I have all three of the files and the root download but once i put the first command in the Xterminal it said not found... i dnt have much experience in command lines...

please help, thanks
1) Are you in the same directory as the files are when you are executing the commands?

2) Are you root?

3) Did you spell the commands and file names correct?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

1) Are you in the same directory as the files are when you are executing the commands?

2) Are you root?

3) Did you spell the commands and file names correct?
I dnt even know how to go to the directory in Xterminal and "get in root" i just followed the directions ( which didn really help me as a step by step once i got to the part after downloading)

Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
I dnt even know how to go to the directory in Xterminal and "get in root" i just followed the directions ( which didn really help me as a step by step once i got to the part after downloading)

DISCLAIMER: I know VERY little about Linux/Maemo and there may well be a hundred easier/better ways of achieving this, all I know is what worked for me

Hi jalladin,

Since you have already downloaded the files and the rootsh app it's not much left to do.

Try following these steps.

1) Launch the Xterminal application

2) type in cd [/folder where you downloaded the three files to]

Note: The internal memory card on the N810 is named /media/mmc2 so if you for instance downloaded the files to a folder named "Stuff" on your internal memory card you would type in cd /media/mmc2/Stuff

3) You should now be in the directory where the files are.
To check that type in the command ls -l and press enter.
That will list the content in the directory you are in.
If the three files are there then go on to step #4

4) Now gain root access.
If you've installed the rootsh app all you need to do right now is to enter root and press enter.
Your command line should change to saying something like Nokia-N810..etc

5) Now do the three commands listed in the first post:

(or you can just do it as one command like Bundyo suggest - either works).

6) Restart the tablet.

7) Things should work now....

Last edited by silvermountain; 2009-07-29 at 23:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot for breaking that down for me ( if only all things were broken down like that for new users ), I'll try it as soon as I get home.

i dnt know why my Xterm isnt working, i saved the files to a new folder under the "internal memory" naming the new folder stuff... when i open up Xterm any type in ( cd /media/mmc2/stuff ) it say not found.

I am supose to save and not open each file right?

sorry for being such a bother...

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-07-30 at 19:09.