Active Topics

JoHnY you are a stud! I followed the procedure in post #172, and it worked successfully with a brand new Apple Wireless Keyboard that just purchased an hour ago at the Apple store. Thanks so much for your time on this. You just made my N900 that much more useful!

One quick note...in the command:
setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout us

the -I are *not* an "ell", they are an "eye". Duh, it was an include directory not a library. :-)

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
here's some of the results

# dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.bluez / org.bluez.Manager.DefaultAdapter
method return sender=:1.3218 -> dest=:1.3258 reply_serial=2
object path "/org/bluez/6703/hci0"

/etc/bluetooth # hcitool scan
Scanning ...
00:19:15:32:3B:67 Think Outside Keyboard

/etc/bluetooth # dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.bluez /org/bluez/6703/hci0/dev_00_19_15_32_3B_67 org.bluez.Input.Connect
method return sender=:1.3218 -> dest=:1.3274 reply_serial=2
/etc/bluetooth #
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Hi,

Just to confirm that he keyboard connects here now too thanks to the instructions. I have an Apple wireless keyboard. However, it has a French or Belgian layout, I succeeded in making it Azerty, but the symbols don't appear correctly (no accents).

Of course I adapted this snippet of code:

Code:
cd /usr/share/X11
cp -i xkb-chinook/symbols/pc xkb/symbols/.
cp -i xkb-chinook/symbols/fr xkb/symbols/.
cp -i xkb-chinook/symbols/be xkb/symbols/.
cp -i xkb-chinook/geometry/pc xkb/geometry/.
And the setxkbmap line became this:

Code:
 setxkbmap -device 4 -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout fr
Note that I removed one -I. If I leave it I get the
"Error loading new keyboard description"

Note also that using "-layout be" instead of "-layout fr" leads to the above error as well.

Maybe someone has gone further and knows a solution.

Ulysses

Last edited by Ulysses; 2010-02-10 at 08:03.

Originally Posted by JoHnY View Post
Some commands need to be run as root, if you haven't already done it, install package "rootsh" and then you can gain root privileges by entering "sugo gainroot" in the X terminal.
Is it really "sugo gainroot" or is it "sudo gainroot"?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
Is it really "sugo gainroot" or is it "sudo gainroot"?

Thanks!
of course, it should be sudo, thanks for noticing this :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to JoHnY For This Useful Post:
Thx JoHnY
With your instructions I got my Think Outside Keyboard working !!

Now I have nearly the same problem as Ulysses, I can only get the US-Keyboard layout. How can I get the German? If I replace us with de I get the error message "Error loading new keyboard description"
If I do it like Ulysses and leave out one "-I" in the command, there is no error, but I do not have "ö","ä","ü", they are still the us keys ":", "'","-" ?? Whole setup is still us...

@cardiff-blues
First I experienced the same problems as you, I could net get a blue bluetooth symbol when I paired my Igo through the GUI and it never appeared in the hildon list. First delete your keyboard out of the list. Then reconnect it, but do not choose the option "trustworthy device" or similar. Do not know the exact English menu, I got a German one. After that the symbol finally went blue and with "hildon-im-xkbtool --list" it finally showed up as device 4 Perhaps this helps.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Why is it that Bluetooth keyboards worked almost magically well on the N8x0's but this thread makes me think that the N900 seems crippled out of the box for bluetooth keyboard support? It seems like it'd be pretty important to have.
Ha. Wait 'till you try mouse support.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TigertheGambler View Post
Thx JoHnY
@cardiff-blues
First I experienced the same problems as you, I could net get a blue bluetooth symbol when I paired my Igo through the GUI and it never appeared in the hildon list. First delete your keyboard out of the list. Then reconnect it, but do not choose the option "trustworthy device" or similar. Do not know the exact English menu, I got a German one. After that the symbol finally went blue and with "hildon-im-xkbtool --list" it finally showed up as device 4 Perhaps this helps.
I also have an apple wireless kbd and have the same problem as cardiffblues. All goes well but the keyboard never shows up on the hildon-im-xkbtool --list Retrying the pairing as a non-trusted device changed nothing.

Nokia-N900-51-1:/usr/share/X11# dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.bluez / org.bluez.Manager.DefaultAdapter
method return sender=:1.183 -> dest=:1.218 reply_serial=2
object path "/org/bluez/1621/hci0"
Nokia-N900-51-1:/usr/share/X11# dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.bluez /org/bluez/1621/hci0/dev_00_1E_52_6E_xx_xx org.bluez.Input.Connect
method return sender=:1.183 -> dest=:1.221 reply_serial=2
Nokia-N900-51-1:/usr/share/X11# hildon-im-xkbtool --list
ID 0, Name: "Virtual core pointer"
ID 1, Name: "Virtual core keyboard"
ID 2, Name: "TSC2005 touchscreen"
ID 3, Name: "omap_twl4030keypad"

Hi people,
This may be the result of me typing something incorrectly, but after entering the command that should theoretically complete the basic pairing setup, I'm presented with the following error message:

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Connect" with signature "" on interface "org.bluez.Input" doesn't exist

Any idea what's amiss?
I'm using an older version of the Freedom keyboard, by the way, which the N900 GUI reports as supporting ONLY the SPP profile. Should I be worried by this?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by technosopher View Post
Hi people,
This may be the result of me typing something incorrectly, but after entering the command that should theoretically complete the basic pairing setup, I'm presented with the following error message:

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Connect" with signature "" on interface "org.bluez.Input" doesn't exist

Any idea what's amiss?
I'm using an older version of the Freedom keyboard, by the way, which the N900 GUI reports as supporting ONLY the SPP profile. Should I be worried by this?

Thanks!
I'm not sure if it's possible to connect SPP keyboard, I'm afraid not...