Active Topics

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Just updated post #1 to include "where to buy parts", if anybody have some links for places to buy parts (mostly Micro-USB connectors) post or PM me

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
Usual Tips on being good to your USB

File down you USB cable's hooks.

NOTE: File is for reference only, any metal file will do
Is this recommended for the N9 too?
Current Maemo Community Council member

I would say it is recommend for pretty much every device with a MicroUSB, if you have to use much force to put in or pull out the USB then you should file it down, you don't have to file it all the way down, you can do it gradually until you don't have to apply "extreme" force to use the USB

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
I usually rip those cable hooks out with pliers, just as effective.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
I got my N900 fixed today finally at a nearby electronics equipment/maintenance shop, but it costed a pianful 35$ to do so.

But I can now see a new firmly soldered microUSB port in place, yes, the whole port was replaced, with a very neat job I say. I can guarantee that my N900 will hopefully live for 5 more years, BUT an operation like that, does it really cost 35$?

Last edited by ammyt; 2012-07-12 at 15:41.

I think 35$ is cheap, i would take more because it is a big job when you don't have the proper equipment.

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
I would say it is recommend for pretty much every device with a MicroUSB, if you have to use much force to put in or pull out the USB then you should file it down, you don't have to file it all the way down, you can do it gradually until you don't have to apply "extreme" force to use the USB
BTW, if our USB port would be done like our jack port/speakers/basically everything else, it would be virtually indestructible/easily replaceable without *any* tools (other's than screwdriver for unscrewing screws and opening case). I don't have idea, why placing USB ports directly on board is general rule - kinda idiotic.

Every other port is connected via spring connectors, touching correct pads on motherboard. So, no matter of pressure, there isn't a chance of ripping anything from MB. Why not using it for microUSB is beyond me.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

It should be very possible to have a non attached USB, power wise it should be no problem to handle 1.2A, this would be a reason not to do it, but i can't see why it should not work.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Bristol, UK
1.2 A flowing through spring connection could cause a lot of heat being generated at the point of contact with pads hence to choice for soldered hard connection, I suppose? That's probably the reason why all power relays are replaceable cause they simply fail, eventually...
Flash Player v10.1 (faked to v12.1) is here!

Taking pre-orders for dual PolarCell battery (~3000mAh) with Mugen cover for £50
Get a free giffgaff Sim with £5 credit here! Also 250mins unlimited txts & internet for £10 PAYG!

The Following User Says Thank You to sEKI For This Useful Post:
Yes that would be my concern also, but other then that i also think that it will take more space in the N900 to do a dis-attached USB, even if it is only 5 pins you have to make sure they ALWAYS align, so the contact pins properly need to be as big as JACK + the +/- pins will need to be pretty big to allow up-to 1.2A without causing excessive heat.