Hi PB, thanks again for the wonderful utilities.

Three small issues I had that may or may not have affected other people (I didn't read through the entire thread, but I did do a brief search). For reference, I had cloned my OS to an SD card with your .deb before this most recent SSU and was using that SD card in the external slot of my n800. I decided to do the 43.7 SSU on the flash's OS first, then went through the process of cloning it to the SD card anew and restoring a backup.

First: Using pbeasy in Xterm, I could not get my card recognized when it was in the external slot using the 'Partition' option. However, it came up fine and was selectable as /dev/mmcblk0-INTERNAL when I moved it into the internal slot.

Second: I may have missed some additional text, but when specifying the sizes of the partitions, the first and second screens seem to say exactly the same thing (this is FAT partition, to be used in a windows filesystem etc...). My understanding is that the second screen actually refers to the Swap partition?

Third: After I partitioned and cloned everything fine, the boot menu has the customary four options to choose from. Weird(?) thing is, it will only boot from the SD card when it is in the external slot. I'm guessing it has to do with how the bootmenu is set up or something because the two lines for booting from the SD cards are as follows (I abbreviated lots) :
External, p2, ext3
Internal, p6, ext3

This last point doesn't bother me that much since I was wanting to boot from the external slot anyways, but I guess it would be nice to know for the future how or why the partitions are set that way in the boot menu.

Thanks again.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Atlanta, GA
It stays at 99% for a while because that last percent is HUGE.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Xtremegene View Post
Hi PB, thanks again for the wonderful utilities.

Three small issues I had that may or may not have affected other people (I didn't read through the entire thread, but I did do a brief search). For reference, I had cloned my OS to an SD card with your .deb before this most recent SSU and was using that SD card in the external slot of my n800. I decided to do the 43.7 SSU on the flash's OS first, then went through the process of cloning it to the SD card anew and restoring a backup.

First: Using pbeasy in Xterm, I could not get my card recognized when it was in the external slot using the 'Partition' option. However, it came up fine and was selectable as /dev/mmcblk0-INTERNAL when I moved it into the internal slot.
Odd, same command runs and pulls the info? What SD card are you using?

Second: I may have missed some additional text, but when specifying the sizes of the partitions, the first and second screens seem to say exactly the same thing (this is FAT partition, to be used in a windows filesystem etc...). My understanding is that the second screen actually refers to the Swap partition?
This is correct, thanks I will fix it

Third: After I partitioned and cloned everything fine, the boot menu has the customary four options to choose from. Weird(?) thing is, it will only boot from the SD card when it is in the external slot. I'm guessing it has to do with how the bootmenu is set up or something because the two lines for booting from the SD cards are as follows (I abbreviated lots) :
External, p2, ext3
Internal, p6, ext3
This seems to be a problem, I believe this is the last partition setup I used on my system, which means bootmenu did not update and write out a new botmenu.conf

Boot to flash and run the Bootmenu "Just install bootmenu" option in pbeasy. This should fix it, it will scan for partitions and write out a new menu. Can you let me know if this works for you? If its in internal it will write it for internal, if its in external, it will write it out for external, you cannot switch them once your done without rewriting bootmenu. This should remove the Internal p6 ext3 option.

This last point doesn't bother me that much since I was wanting to boot from the external slot anyways, but I guess it would be nice to know for the future how or why the partitions are set that way in the boot menu.

Again, my script scans for ext2/3 partitions and writes out bootmenu including all ext2/3 partitions it finds. Well thats what its supposed to do anyway.

Thanks again.
I realy appreaciate the feedback as it takes community feedback in order for me to discover an issue and resolve it.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Anybody got this problem viewing the very first post by penguinbait: the web page opens up, and the first post collapses into a few lines almost immediately:
" Default Introducing console-tools v1 (install-tools replacemement)

Check out my blog @ http://tablethacker.com
Last edited by penguinbait; 12-24-2008 at 03:32 PM. "

I'm using Firefox 3.1B2 under Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy. The page displays correctly if I use opera.

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
DISABLE VIRTUAL MEMORY IN CONTROL PANEL BEFORE ATTEMPTING CLONING OR PARTITIONING
Any disadvantage to re-enabling it after rebooting from the MMC clone?

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by pton View Post
Anybody got this problem viewing the very first post by penguinbait: the web page opens up, and the first post collapses into a few lines almost immediately:
" Default Introducing console-tools v1 (install-tools replacemement)

Check out my blog @ http://tablethacker.com
Last edited by penguinbait; 12-24-2008 at 03:32 PM. "

I'm using Firefox 3.1B2 under Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy. The page displays correctly if I use opera.
mmm, no problem with Firefox 3.0.5 under Ubuntu 8.04. Maybe it's because you are using a beta?

Had to do a nuke and pave of my N800, so after flashing with the latest image (5.2008.43-7) I decided to try your new and improver console-tools. This is what happened:

I used pbeasy to partition (asks for FAT and FAT instead of FAT and SWAP)
then clone
then upgraded bootmenu (all ok)
booted to sd and run free: no swap active
booted to flash, ran free, no swap
ran pb and activated swap partition (from flash), rebooted (to flash), swap is active.
rebooted to sd, still no swap
ran pb and activated swap partition (from sd), rebooted (to sd), there is still no swap.

other than the swap issue there are no problems with the things I used.

any ideas? (Penguinbait, I know you are on vacation, this is for when you return)

Originally Posted by mfortner View Post
Any disadvantage to re-enabling (virtual emory) after rebooting from the MMC clone?
Good question!

In the past Penguinbait's install-tools (system cloning) package created and enabled a small swap partition on the SD card and under those circumstances enabling virtual memory wouldn't be productive (being compressed and more CPU-intensive than accessing plain swap partition).

However I just ran "free" in terminal to see how my swap was doing (system cloned using "pbeasy"), and to my surprise I found out that swap (total/used/free) was a big fat zero.

In any case, 1) when using swap partition virtual memory isn't needed and 2) without swap partition virtual memory slows things down a little when actually used but it might be necessary unless you know for certain that you won't need it.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Argentina
I looked inside /etc/fstab in the SD and found it doesn't have the swap mount, so I added
/dev/mmcblk0p3 none swap sw 0 0
(with an enter after it) to it. After booting to SD I still dont have swap, and get no error messages.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I must be missing something. Isn't swap or virtual memory used when you don't have enough RAM? Like a desktop pc or the flash with 128, In those cases you would want a swap to simulate having 256 or a gigabyte. Now we are booting from a 2Gig or larger card. Don't we have plenty of RAM as long as we don't fill the memory completely? I suppose the partition would just be insurance.

I'm using an N800, so I use the second card for document, music, and video storage. My boot card doesn't get half full.

Also, is there a step to 'turn' the swap on? Someone asked on the first page but figured it out without posting the answer. (might be the same issue with the people above) [edit: found the enable swap in 'PB' menu]

If I don't need or want a FAT or swap partition is there a problem booting from a single partition or is everything set up to look for the third?

P.S. It wouldn't partition my card until I tried with the back removed

Last edited by TheGogmagog; 2008-12-31 at 13:42.

When I try to partition my card with pbeasy I chose my card click on it and get taken back to the pbeasy menu. I just keep going round in circles.

Tags
bootmenu, bootmenu-installer, install-tools, mgmt-tools