Notices

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
PhoneLink 1.2.7 is out : SMS Notification is now working (and not crashing anymore ...)
Try it out ...

Freedoll, thanks for considering. I understand your decision. In reference to Benson's post, I wouldn't consider this concept 'bloat' at all, but to each their own i guess. Anyway, thanks for making such a useful program, and I look forward to seeing whats next.

And ... PhoneLink 1.2.8 is out with DBus Signal emitting when a incoming call is detected ...

I suppose what I have to do now is a short example of an app that catches this signal ...
I'd love to try some python programming ... any hint where to begin with DBus and Python ?

The Following User Says Thank You to fredoll For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by liquid217 View Post
Freedoll, thanks for considering. I understand your decision. In reference to Benson's post, I wouldn't consider this concept 'bloat' at all, but to each their own i guess. Anyway, thanks for making such a useful program, and I look forward to seeing whats next.
What can I say, it's the UNIX way.
If you want some philosophical discourse on why adding that to this app would be bad, let me know.

But the great thing about having it this way is that you don't need to wait for what's next. A DBus message brings extensions into the realm of scripting; as soon as I get this installed, I'm gonna give it a crack.

Fredoll, if you're too lazy to write C and too Python-hating to write python (that's me!), dbus-scripts is your ticket.

I'm thinking... a flite wrapper first, and then maybe also have it fade the volume down on mpd while it is speaking. Great for in the car.

From a philosophical standpoint, I assume you are referring to the addage "Do one thing, and one thing well", which i can't argue with; however, i do believe this would be a useful addition, either with a separate script, or merged into the current interface. My scripting language of choice is perl, so I look forward to writing something to interface with the dbus message. If I can get user configurable enough, I will post it.

Thanks again everyone.

<shrug /> Guess I misunderstood. Glad you're on board!
I don't have an always-on BT connection yet, hence the conspicuous absence of a web lookup tool in my plans; I think it's a good idea, at least with a cell plan, and am looking forward to seeing it.

Actually, my current thought is to use my wifi connection. For the most part, either at home, or the office, i have some form of connection. I may try to write in some type of caching function in the event that there is no internet connectivity.

PhoneLink 1.2.10 is out : if the text entered is a number you can dial or send an SMS directly without unchecking ContactInfos (Menu Option) and a bug correction

That's great! the need to uncheck was getting a little annoying on the occasions when I did want to dial a xeno-number.

Am I missing something, or is there no dbus signal for incoming SMS?
Feature request, if you could; it's much easier for me to send a SMS via email to my phone for testing my scripts, and I'd also like that (eventually) as another useful thing in the car.

The work you're doing on this is truly appreciated, Fred; it's saved me from kludging together my own "equivalent" with awk, sh, and the odd bit of C, which would have been much inferior.

OK I'll do it for you then

Last edited by fredoll; 2008-04-04 at 15:55.