Active Topics

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Since doing an OTA to pr 1.3 my sim card over the next 3 days went from frequent disconnection to not recognizing the sim card at all.
I'm in the US, Northwest of Los Angeles on tmobile

I'm really disappointed that I paid almost 600 for this phone and it doesn't even last a year.

I just tried putting a shim in there to increase contact between sim card using paper and that did not work.

I have never installed from extras devel or testing or overclocked my n900 or done anything unusual with it and all apps except disk storage were uninstalled before doing an OTA update to 1.3

I gave my tmobile sim card to a friend at work who is also on tmobile and he made several calls and text messages with it so it's not the sim card.
I tried his card in my n900 and it would not work.

The instructions this community gives for windows 7 users to connect their N900 via usb so they can use the flasher
DOES NOT WORK
There is no option as you say when pressing f8 while loading.
F8 gives options to boot from several drives
The other option you gave did not work.

That is very disappointing this community can't give correct instructions that work for windows 7 to use the flasher when probably at least half of you are using windows 7 right now
I had to pull out my old hp mini windows xp from the closet to use the flasher.
I tried reflashing to 1.2 and that did not work.
I then tried to ota again to 1.3 and that did not work. Installed 3g/2g app and swtiched to gsm and that did not work.

Why does it not show my imei number when I go to setting>about product?
Where is the input unlock code to unlock sim option? If I put my imei in there will it now see my sim card?

I'm kind of mad right now so I'm going to vent.

The other things I noticed during the 3 days I had limited sim card function before It died that are still not fixed with 1.3 that are just basic functionality:

Sms window was still closing on me 40% of the time (no that is not an exageration) making me lose all my text I just typed

Trying to piss me off?
on a scale of 1 to 10 that would be up there maybe 8

Worldofwarcraft.com websites still did not load first time, they require a reload on every page even with tweak flash plugin
Trying to piss me off?
on a scale of 1 to 10 that's a 5

Typing text into forum threads like this or others (e.g. wow forums) the N900 on pr1.3 would find a reason to erase all of my text minimum 30% of the time either I'd open the keyboard and vkbrd would disappear and erase all my text or something on the page would trigger the vkbrd to disappear erasing all my text with it or the page would just freeze my typing and the page would reload without my permission, there goes my text.

Trying to piss me off?
Scale of 1 to 10 that's a 10 it happens way too much wasting my time
and that would be completely unacceptable behavior for a PC computer OS

Despite being mad and very disappointed with pr 1.3 and Nokia I still went to look for the next Nokia meego tablet since my n900 is fracked up.

And guess what I found?
Asia is reporting a high level of defective Nokia N8's a warm climate .
Look here at Eldars report
http://mobile-review.com/articles/2010/n8-brak-en.shtml
He says Nokia is not properly soldering their boards, that they are susceptible to disconnections/failure under heat.

He put 3 n8's in a heat chamber and one failed to see sim card after that presumably because sim card reader disconnected from board! The same problem I'm having with my N900.

So here is what I think
Nokia does not test their phones for metal fatigue due to changing temperatures and connections inside the phone are breaking.

I bet you when i did the pr1.3 ota update in the warehouse at work where it is warm it heated the board enough that when I went home later that night (outside it's 45 degrees) it fatigued the metal connection one last time to the sim card reader just enough that it failed and now connection is broken.

Last edited by aironeous; 2010-11-30 at 05:28.

Dear All,

Here is the solution to fix this problem, i just fixed my N900 today.

From a windows PC

1.Download the flashing software.

The first software you need is called “Maemo Flasher”, and this is the program that needs to be installed on your PC and can be found here:

http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php

Download the latest version of Maemo Flasher (which is currently 3.5 at time of posting this), and make sure you download the .exe file.

Install that file.

2.Download image files for the N900 itself

These files can be found here:

http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php

2A.This page will ask you to enter your IMEI, with very clear instructions on where to find it.

Insert emei N900 hard reset

Follow the on screen prompts until you reach the download section.

There are two pieces of software you need to download from there.

1. eMMC content – This is the package to erase all data held on your 32GB storage.(For PR1.3 choose the one marked Latest)
2. OS – This is your operating system.

2B.There are two eMMC packages available, so download the Latest. For PR1.3 It’s called:

RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin

2C.The OS is a little more difficult to figure out which one you need.

The notes alongside the software lets you find the right package easier.

I found the best way to check is to do the following: (On the N900)

1. Menu
2. Settings
3. About Product

This will show you this image(or similar)

After that, you might seen Sim Disable Symbol Again, dont be sad.

Connect you N900 to any WiFi, and update your phone by going in Application and press update.

Maemo 5, 18 MB application will downloaded and installed, you N900 restart agian, now go to application manager again and update for Maemo add on 132 MB.

Once every thing finished, N900 restarts and you will find a new N900 with every thing working.

hi im from dominican republic so excuse my english i had the sim problem and now i only can use my n900 for internet, the phone doesnt work and always is the sim with the red slash, if someone can help please...i re flash like 8 times and search the net...is there a chance is a hardware problem..help..in dominican theres not nokia support and the dealers i send the phone dont even now how works...:

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Netherlands
Since a few days i encounter the same problem.
I cleaned the simcard and the slot.
I've put a piece of paper between simcard and battery
I lifted the pins of the simcard slot a bit to make better contact.
I reflashed both firmware and EMMC.
I removed SD card (read somewhere that this could be an issue as well)
I tried a different battery.
Even without a simcard i get this message telling me that there is a communication error. I expected a simcard icon with a red dash through it, but not the error message.

Right after I got the message I don't have an IMEI anymore.
I used to get the message after a while when I restarted my N900. Now I get the message even before the welcome animatiion starts.

Is there anything left to try out before I ship it to a nokia care center?

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Netherlands
I've had exactly the same problem, mine was repaired (new mainboard)...

no one has solve this problem help please here in dominican nobody knows how fix this....and i dont have a phone working

is this what you guys seeing?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66870

if yes, send it back to nokia to be fixed under the 2 year warranty, should be back within 10 days approximately. i beleive you can arrange this also via web site and someone collects it, but intructions are on the site, nokia shop process mine instead.

Last edited by windows7; 2011-03-26 at 19:05.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lebanon
Re-flash Using The Latest Fiasco and eMMC files
This Will Fix this error ...

Originally Posted by vVvRUSSIANvVv View Post
i got yesturday my n900,amazaing device,but when its start updateing the light went of and it didnt update now my phone phone will not work ,i have symbol of the sim card with a red slash across near battery meter,firt when i put the sim it was working fine,and after update that what ive got,i cant make calls,i called nokia and they said me to call tmobile,i told them the same problem,and they said to call nokia,and now nokia tells me to wait for the new update?so if anybody could give advice or anything please let me know,i dont know what to do.thank you people for help
Guys try putting something in between(eg. Hard Paper) of the steel plate containing the sim card and battery so it gets in contact with the
gold recivers it should work try it
worked for me!!

Last edited by RaXXaR; 2011-09-24 at 18:32. Reason: typing error

Originally Posted by maddler View Post
as far as I can tell from looking at logs on my N900 it is somehow related to the modem hardware resetting. No clue about the cause behind this behaviour.

In my case I found that the reset was more frequent if connected to some specific celltowers.
it could be the case were t mobile dictates a monopol

Tags
n900, not recognized, problem, sim, sim card, sim problem