Active Topics

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
Don't think about, just fix it. Btw. It worked for me, too.

Actually, there's another fix for that.

As you may or may not know, lots of devices experience those kinds problems (PS3, Xbox, graphics cards, etc).

The problem are the solder joints under the chip, and by pushing down you fix the contact. However the right solution is using this:

A hot air reflow station. By reheating the chip, the solder joints will connect again and the problem is solved. The problem however is that it takes some practice or you either fry or blow away components.

If you have someone who has experience with that, you may get it fixed that way, too. Look for people who repair PS3s and Xbox', they can also fix your phone.

(Yes, I have this problem, too, however I don't know whether a reflash would fix it as my battery is drained and I can't get it to turn on)

Last edited by 900Dude; 2013-09-22 at 22:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to 900Dude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
Yes, it might work but I wouldnt do this to n900. There are too many resistors, capacitors around gsm chips. I guess those may take too much heat when doing this.

I tried it, I just taped off all the small parts and put my rework station on low air:

Did I have enough skill to heat it up to the right temperature and make it work? No.

Did then just stuff the mylar tape on top of the chips, close the RF shield, put a piece of cardboard between the shield and the case and does it work fine now? Yes.

Thanks guys, I just saved an N900. I think however that the lack of apps is what killed it and that the UI would've worked much better on a larger screen. But other than that: I really, really like it. It's a great phone for geeks like me.

Last edited by 900Dude; 2013-09-23 at 08:44.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 900Dude For This Useful Post:
when its start updateing the light went of and it didnt update now my phone phone will not work ,i have symbol of the sim card with a red slash across near battery meter,firt when i put the sim it was working fine,and after update that what ive got,i cant make calls,

The Following User Says Thank You to mrdeepakrijal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
mrdeepakrijal, your case sounds like a software problem, most likely caused by a sudden shutdown during updating. In the better case, it may only be some inconsistent packages. If you have rootsh installed, go to X-Terminal and type
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get install -f
If you don't have rootsh installed or the corruption as at the file system level (which is not uncommon if the device shuts down during writing to it), then you may have a bigger problem and may need to backup all your data and then reflash.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
hi guys,

I have the sim card problem for about a week now. I tried the workaround with a piece of paper on the back of the sim card in the card slot, but it didn't work.

the phone itself does stil work, but another issue is, that it doesn't connect with nokia suite anymore.

I can use the usb storage mode to transfer files, but in nokia suite mode it does not get recognized by the pc.

Any solutions? Should I try this http://www.jabawok.net/?p=14 ?

I'm a bit afraid of opening the device, as I'm not really experienced.

What about the usb problem?

I love my n900 so I'd really like to fix it

Greetings

The Following User Says Thank You to ryan_cooper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I had this problem with my phone but I think it was flexing the phone with the keyboard open and my thumbs on the keys brought it back, issue came back once more and the same fix worked. It is a weak solder joint and I suppose the best fix is some time in a reflow oven, has anyone tried this? Are there added components that would make this a problem?
http://www.instructables.com/id/Toas...Soldering-BGA/
I used this toaster oven reball method several times to fix pocket flex and drop damage to the CF wifi card back when I had an old Linux Zaurus.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
I had this problem with my phone but I think it was flexing the phone with the keyboard open and my thumbs on the keys brought it back, issue came back once more and the same fix worked. It is a weak solder joint and I suppose the best fix is some time in a reflow oven, has anyone tried this? Are there added components that would make this a problem?
http://www.instructables.com/id/Toas...Soldering-BGA/
I used this toaster oven reball method several times to fix pocket flex and drop damage to the CF wifi card back when I had an old Linux Zaurus.
reflowing with hot air did the job for me on n900 and several other devices reballing shoud not be needed also the spring fix can work as a temporary solution for faint of the heart
damage to other components should not ouccor if the user have slightest of experience using that reflow liquid

Last edited by nokiabot; 2014-08-12 at 13:12. Reason: serious typo

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Can you please describe "reflowing with water". Do have a manual or something?

The Following User Says Thank You to ryan_cooper For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900, not recognized, problem, sim, sim card, sim problem