Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I'm probably the last person in the universe to install Diablo on his N800, and it seems there was some method to my prudence.
No you're not - I haven't reflashed either of my tablets yet. But I'm not coming from OS2007 either - they're all on OS2008 already (yes, even good old 770 :-).

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
No, no; you do the conversion for a demo, and then sell it on ebay! (Unless someone at the summit wants to buy it...

I'll poke around, but I think you can just add it like any font; download the font, put it in /home/user/.fonts or /usr/share/fonts, and run fc-cache.

I'd expect the existing package would work, but you said it doesn't, and I assume you're right.
That's the package I found, but it complains about all sorts of dependencies; dpkg just makes them more visible.

Interestingly, the Vera family appears to be installed in /usr/share/fonts/ttf, but fc-cache does not enable it. Maybe I need a reboot?

Just a mo...

The reboot did it! I have Bitstream back. Dunno how, dunno why, but mine is not to ask. (actually, mine is exactly to put just about everything to question, but in this case I'll pass)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Well, he never ran Chinook, or at least not long-term. So I think there's a speed boost from OS2007 to Diablo, but <shrug>whatever</shrug>.
Hey! I already thanked you. Don't make me backpedal!

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Ok he's coming from OS2007..
How the heck he can't notice the speed up from 330Mhz to 400Mhz then?
I just don't do geeky stuff. The user interface is different enough for me not to notice any speed improvements (which, incidentally, were rather noticeable on the 770 going from 2005 to 2006) and for the rest the only thing I really noticed, is that mplayer no longer stutters when playing videos.

But that's kewl...

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Would it be possible to have both the estimated time left, and/or alternatively (just) the percentage of "fuel" left?

Who knows, maybe some that constant calculating of time/fuel ratio is helping waste wattage for those who don't need it.
People have been asking for a percentage gauge ever since the 770 came out.

And, the restless masses are clearly demanding some kind of a fix to the one-step softpoweroff/offline question. The default behavior requires hardware press, careful menu selection (not to invoke screen lock) to select offline, another hardware press, another menu selection, and even then the screen stays on until its timeout...
Yes, I am restless, and my mass is significant. I want softpoweroff back! Heck, it should be easy now, right? Just an update, no need to flash anymore...

Also, I am not entirely certain what the menu option "lock screen and keys" actually does. Does the CPU throttle back?

No, the CPU doesn't explicitly throttle back in any case, AFAICT. (Well, except that any DSP tasks force it to stay out of 400 MHz, because the clock multiplier magic means that the DSP actually runs slower at 330 MHz CPU. Think of it as hauling a trailer, and disabling overdrive. Or better yet, don't.)

Lock screen and keys does just that, and kills the backlight (for me, with timeouts equal; see note above).
Softpoweroff, as far as I can tell, does the same, but also (depending on settings) goes offline, preventing any battery drain from wireless or bluetooth traffic. (But perhaps increasing battery drain, if you were listening to music over BT, as it then switches the speakers amplifier on instead...)

But, whenever the CPU has little to do, it shifts down (since OS2008), and of course stops the clock entirely when it has nothing to do (as always).

Last edited by Benson; 2008-07-17 at 20:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
It's not that bad, I don't think. Edit your (presumably stock) /etc/mce/mce.ini, and set doublepress to softpoweroff. (And set longpress to do nothing... not necessary, but prevents inadvertent shutdowns.)
Now it's a double-click to softpoweroff. Then a longpress powers back on, and the dpad-select button unlocks. (This is my favored config...)

You can also get things working with longpress, but this worked best for me after I reduced the long-hold time to 1000 ms; also, you have funny business with the screen flashing back on, then off. Wierd. But, it does work; longpress for softpoweroff, on release, it flashes the screen and then goes out. To wake it, do a longpress, and then hit select.

Tips:
  • I've only tested this with the dim and sleep timeouts identical; in old versions at least, there was strange behavior when these were different. (Like keeping the screen on until the difference between them elapsed...)
  • It needs a longpress; the screen comes back on immediately, and displays "Now press [o]", but keep holding on to come out of offline. Then hit select.
It just doesn't work like that here. Like I said, I edited mce.ini to assign softpoweroff to longkeypress (I didn't change the timing values for any keypress; I learned the hard way that that is a sure recipe for problems). I also remembered to match dim and sleep settings (again, from hard experience).

But when I longpress the powerkey, the screen goes out and comes back on and the offline mode box displays. Neither screen nor keys are locked. It's as if the tablet decided that softpoweroff is just offline mode, and I hate it when tablets decide things for me.

Allright, I'll try using the double keypress. Wait ten seconds...

Well, it works. Sorta... Double keypress does indeed seem to enter the old softpoweroff mode, although occasionally I do get the old weird "screen-flashes-off-and-back-on" bu^H^Hfeature. But it's an improvement -- not as good as what I had, mind you, but that seems to be a recurring theme with every tablet "upgrade".

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
No you're not - I haven't reflashed either of my tablets yet. But I'm not coming from OS2007 either - they're all on OS2008 already (yes, even good old 770 :-).
Yeah, as if that counts.

Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
Yes Pandora development is "impressive". Where can I get one and how much does it cost?
What makes you think you can get one?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Becomeroot
Note, rootsh is in Extras, and should be favored over becomeroot and easyroot in the future.

Second snafu: FBreader crashed my tablet! WTF?? I opened Preferences to set the keys to my liking and the thing rebooted. It hasn't happened again and I managed to get my keys configured, but this does not bode well...
Crashed your tablet? Does that mean hildon-desktop crashed, or the whole tablet crashed? Either way, I've never experience anything like that with FBReader

Fourth problem: Softpoweroff does NOT work. I edited mce.ini to invoke sofpoweroff on longkeypress (being careful here and leaving shortkeypress alone) on the power button, rebooted and tried it: long keypress forces offline mode, does not lock screen and keys.
Yes, this is incredibly stupid of them. I don't know how it's working for some people and not for others. . . .

Major bummer, but I had sorta expected this: Nokia drones claim the softpoweroff issue has been resolved, but it seems it's quite prudent not to believe them. I can use "lock keys and screen" from the menu, but it's less power efficient than softpoweroff which, in view of the next point, is troubling.
Well, locking is no more or less power efficient than soft poweroff. The only way it could be if by choosing to enable offline mode when you enter soft poweroff, but that's a new OS2008 feature.

Sixth dégoût: Application Mangler hasn't improved at all AFAICS:
Application manager has improved by leaps and bounds in Diablo, not sure how you'd miss that one.

It stalled twice already and it appears to happily add repositories that contain nothing but incompatible applications. Not nice, but then again not unexpected either.
"Stalled"? How do you expect it to figure out which repositories are ******ed and which aren't, anyway? Magic?

You should really only be installing one or two repos, and that's Extras and Extras-devel (well, and FBReader, I guess, but hopefully that wont be necessary for too much longer now).

I didn't notice the speed enhancements people keep shouting about, but I didn't anticipate them either, so no loss there. I'll wait and see; if not at least three of my personal annoyances get solved in the next two weeks, I'm probably going to mothball this thing and just wait for a Pandora.
MPlayer isn't stuttering anymore, that certainly seems like a speed enhancement to me. . . . Not sure how you could not notice a 70MHz speed bump.