Active Topics

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Although I have system sound, sound is gone in Mplayer, MyTube and Digia@Scene. Sound is OK in Media Player. Where there is no sound, I can hear "key clicks". What is wrong ? Help!

Final solution to my sound problem:
Although I have no clue as to what caused my sound problem, I have figured out how to regain my sound. While viewing a soundless video in the digia@scene app, I started hitting various hardware keys. When I pressed the third button on the top left of my N800, a volume scale appeared onscreen and I keep hitting it until it showed 100%. Next, I ran my Mplayer App and hit the same button many times. When I ran MyTube it had already reset to max volume.

Last edited by Den in USA; 2010-07-03 at 02:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Have you stopped metalayer-crawler? Or are you viewing stuff that you've downsampled in MPlayer?

I've resampled stuff and inadvertently used a too high of a setting. But that wouldn't explain Digia@Scene nor MyTube.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Have you stopped metalayer-crawler? Or are you viewing stuff that you've downsampled in MPlayer?

I've resampled stuff and inadvertently used a too high of a setting. But that wouldn't explain Digia@Scene nor MyTube.
I see that it is running when I list processes. After "killing" it, it seems to keep showing up. I tryed removing the battery but it still returns. I there an easy way to reset the processes that need to run?

I even tryed this and it keeps returning:

as root in xterm:

Code:

update-rc.d metalayer-crawler remove

Well, to be honest I wasn't suggesting that you kill it. I was somewhat able to reproduce the MPlayer no-sound issue once I had killed the metalayer-crawler from start up:
Code:
That will require a reboot. It's something I tend to do when I optimize my N810 - and I've noticed I've had to reapply since the Community SSU. But I've had (initially) skippy sound where I just pause, restart the first thing I run/load into MPlayer then it works just fine.

With that said... just odd. Have you installed anything else? USB Controls, or the Community SSU? Have you uninstalled anything recently?

Is it just happening on podcasts - I just had it happen to me a moment ago - or just a certain site? I hate to ask so many questions, just trying to assist where I'm not fully able to duplicate.

Back to where I was able to duplicate, it was a movie I had resampled - something I downloaded from somewhere long-time ago and had to use FFMpegX (I was on the Mac) and it ended up being a problem. I re-encoded it to lower specs and all was fine.

Killing metalayer-crawler will simply restart it. So that can just stop. Have you tried using headphones too?

Let's see if we can figure this out.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Well, to be honest I wasn't suggesting that you kill it. I was somewhat able to reproduce the MPlayer no-sound issue once I had killed the metalayer-crawler from start up:
Code:
That will require a reboot. It's something I tend to do when I optimize my N810 - and I've noticed I've had to reapply since the Community SSU. But I've had (initially) skippy sound where I just pause, restart the first thing I run/load into MPlayer then it works just fine.

With that said... just odd. Have you installed anything else? USB Controls, or the Community SSU? Have you uninstalled anything recently?

Is it just happening on podcasts - I just had it happen to me a moment ago - or just a certain site? I hate to ask so many questions, just trying to assist where I'm not fully able to duplicate.

Back to where I was able to duplicate, it was a movie I had resampled - something I downloaded from somewhere long-time ago and had to use FFMpegX (I was on the Mac) and it ended up being a problem. I re-encoded it to lower specs and all was fine.

Killing metalayer-crawler will simply restart it. So that can just stop. Have you tried using headphones too?

Let's see if we can figure this out.
I recently uninstalled digia@scene and reinstalled the new version in diablo extras-devel. Also, there is no sound in the head phones.

Hmm, ok. That shouldn't have caused any problems - uninstalling digia@scene. Didn't that app timeout or so a while back and they had to renew it?

Den In USA, I feel as if I've failed you because I can't reproduce this error fully and I'm running the Community SSU, I'm running the aforementioned apps and I'm not getting the same errors except when I play DivX encoded movies that are a slight bit too big and more than likely need to be downsampled.

I did find that some *.mp4 audio - or was it AAC audio - encoded stuff was way off, but it still played.

I'll have to poke around some more, perhaps you're hitting the MPlayer issue that some folks hit a while back, but I'm having a hell of a time remembering what it was besides that dumpfile / param at -1 issue, but I've not seen that since... Diablo.

I'm sorry man. But perhaps more information will get more knowledgeable folks involved. Best of luck.

If I run across anything, I'll pop back in.

Last edited by gerbick; 2010-07-03 at 01:55.

@Gerbick - Although I have no clue as to what caused my sound problem, I have figured out how to regain my sound. While viewing a soundless video in the digia@scene app, I started hitting various hardware keys. When I pressed the third button on the top left of my N800, a volume scale appeared onscreen and I keep hitting it until it showed 100%. Next, I ran my Mplayer App and hit the same button many times. When I ran MyTube it had already reset to max volume.

Thank you very much for responding. Hope now the two of us can help someone in the future that has this same problem.

Also, I will edit my first post with my remedy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post: