Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Modulok View Post
The day Nokia documents the proprietary parts of their ITs i will buy the latest IT, because the hardware is really nice.
They don't really have any control over this, they can't just open up stuff that they're using under license. Nokia isn't really the person to ***** about to this.

Texas Instruments, Imagination Technology, STMicroelectronics, etc. In particular, TI is the one to pay particular attention to here.

But as far as i know Nokia this will never happen. They need users who are like sheeps...
This is just silly.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Texas Instruments, Imagination Technology, STMicroelectronics, etc. In particular, TI is the one to pay particular attention to here
They could have chosen another manufacturer (though I doubt there are any with the same price/performance/power consumption level and fully documented).
Also, I think that nokia could have put more pressure on its suppliers than some lone hackers in their basement, but they didn't, so while they're not 100% guilty, they're at least 50% guilty

Originally Posted by luca View Post
They could have chosen another manufacturer (though I doubt there are any with the same price/performance/power consumption level and fully documented).
Not really. I mean, they could have, but it wouldn't make one damn lick of sense. They're big partners with TI, so they get big discounts, and they know TI's hardware.

Also, I think that nokia could have put more pressure on its suppliers than some lone hackers in their basement, but they didn't, so while they're not 100% guilty, they're at least 50% guilty
Er, pressure their big, important business partners so a few thousand Linux hackers can maybe have a slightly more open device? Yeah, nice thought, but Nokia lives in reality.

Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
That it does; and while I don't really want UM on my IT till I learn more, having a shell replacement that fits what these screens show would be quite nice to have. Like Canola, it seems to leverage the screenspace and touch-ability of the ITs nicely.
http://www.clutter-project.org/

I may be biased as I work for OpenedHand, but I think Clutter is really cool. Check the blog for some demonstrations (like this one: Clutter on Moblin running on a Samsung UMPC).

Unfortunately we need to get OpenGL on the tablets before Clutter-based UIs are possible.

They don't really have any control over this, they can't just open up stuff that they're using under license. Nokia isn't really the person to ***** about to this.

Texas Instruments, Imagination Technology, STMicroelectronics, etc. In particular, TI is the one to pay particular attention to here.
Is there an official statement from Nokia anywhere or are you just guessing? Secondly they can choose the chips for their devices and they have chosen (if you are right) three times the wrong ones.
I also can guess. You got a cheap Nokia tablet with a developper code for porting a linux app to linux. Now you are a Nokia fan.

Your last impolite statement can only come from people who use their own picture as avatar .

Is there an official statement from Nokia anywhere or are you just guessing?
Official statement? No, these are just facts. Nokia licenses the information/SDKs/etc from TI, they don't have the power to open up the information themselves.

Secondly they can choose the chips for their devices and they have chosen (if you are right) three times the wrong ones.
Not really. I mean, they could have, but it wouldn't make one damn lick of sense. They're big partners with TI, so they get big discounts, and they know TI's hardware.
Again, Nokia has very strong relations with TI and uses their OMAP chips in a lot of their phones. They know the hardware, and they get it for cheap. It would be stupid for them to forgo what they know and have access to to provide an open platform for a few thousand geeks.

Remember, at the end of the day, Nokia is a business, and the hardline OSS-mentality doesn't move units.

I also can guess. You got a cheap Nokia tablet with a developper code for porting a linux app to linux. Now you are a Nokia fan.
I have never applied for nor received a discount code for any Nokia device. The reason I'm a fan has everything to with the product Nokia has delivered and nothing to do with the bribes you think I've received.

Well, Full Disclosure, they're sending me a t-shirt for the time I've invested in bugzilla.

Your last impolite statement can only come from people who use their own picture as avatar .
Huh?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Er, pressure their big, important business partners so a few thousand Linux hackers can maybe have a slightly more open device?
why not? after all is nokia that's helping ti bottom line (buying millions of units).
Yeah, nice thought, but Nokia lives in reality.
Are you implying that the few companies really committed to foss are living in a fantasy world?

why not? after all is nokia that's helping ti bottom line (buying millions of units).

Are you implying that the few companies really committed to foss are living in a fantasy world?
I made my point clear enough in the first reply, not sure why you didn't understand.

There actually might be hope for MID on n8xx devices. According to the article, they are in the process of porting to ARM with help from nokia.

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2097004728.html

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by stevemcc View Post
There actually might be hope for MID on n8xx devices. According to the article, they are in the process of porting to ARM with help from nokia.

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2097004728.html
To be precise, Nokia research engineers have ported most of the Ubuntu release (now including Universe) to ARM and it runs on the N800. See http://mojo.handhelds.org/

I have no idea whether they have tried to port the Ubuntu Mobile variant, but you could ask them.

A probably interesting exercise would be to compare the packages that make i.e. Maemo 4.1 and Ubuntu Mobile 8.04. See the commonalities, see the differences. I remember the Maemo SW engineer Eero Tamminen writing a very useful comparison between Debian, Ubuntu and Maemo but sadly I can't find it now.

btw, above there were links about Java missing probably the most important one: http://www.jalimo.org

PS: Recommending hardware selection and changes is just too easy when you are not the one doing the investment and being responsible of the choice. More here and here.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
mer, ubuntu