Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
There is a lack of tablets with GNU/Linux. Both a new Jolla smartphone or tablet will be welcome.
New smartphone may not be so welcome. Great way to annoy the hundreds of people still yet to get a Jolla in their hands through the TOHKBD Kickstarter discount. Also a great way to stifle demand for that accessory - make it almost obsolete months before it's released.

I think (given the current slow rate of adoption) they'd be better trying a new phone every other year, catch current DNA owners when their contracts are up.

The Following User Says Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
I guess it will be a tablet. Jaakko Roppola, Jollas chief UI designer, had a blog post about Sailfish UI on a tablet a while ago. http://jaakkoroppola.blogspot.fi/201...r-screens.html

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by From Vertu with Love View Post
New smartphone may not be so welcome. Great way to annoy the hundreds of people still yet to get a Jolla in their hands through the TOHKBD Kickstarter discount. Also a great way to stifle demand for that accessory - make it almost obsolete months before it's released.
Or everything, including discounts, might be compatible and shiny and cool. Let's hope there's no unforseen manual review process after the countdown is through.

Dammit, Jolla, I've just spend hundreds of Euros to make my old phone funkier. Don't let me sp… wait, no, shut up and take my money.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Looks like a tablet to me:
  • from the picture, we can surely see a screen, which tends to eliminate any TOH (not to mention the design would not fit the Jolla's design);
  • there are no microphones or speaker where would be expected if it was a phablet;
  • a phablet would compete against the Jolla a bit too soon, as the Jolla phone is still being progressively installed on the market by the company;
  • the large round black bezel would also be handy for holding a larger device, while they chose not to put any bezel like that on the phone.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2014-11-14 at 15:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by velox View Post
Or everything, including discounts, might be compatible and shiny and cool.
They'd be smart to make future phones TOH backwards-compatible, but if this is a new phone (and it is 'BIG'), then I can't see that being the case (if you'll pardon the pun)

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
ANOTHER count down?

Haven't we already have enough countdowns lately?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Sailfish OS would do so great on a tablet!

As an OS I mean, BUT with the low amount (in comparison) of native apps right now, and the poor support in the Alien Dalvik, I would not think they are ready for tablets nor phablets. A tablet requires way higher amount of native applications, at least it needs paid apps support and a fair amount of support with native games and apps.
The included document readers are a joke right now.

Why would you otherwise buy a tablet? To surf big-screen with the buggy and shaky native browser? Or use android firefox (well, then I'd rather buy an android based one with firefox running in real android).

It's the J2, without hesitation.

Last edited by Larswad; 2014-11-14 at 15:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Strange... The countdown is at 4 days and 21 hours in here.

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
@brunelli: Think maybe you live in different countries?
;-)

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
ANOTHER count down?

Haven't we already have enough countdowns lately?
You'll miss it when the countdowns dry up, trust me

Tags
bulks