Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
One reason I am saying this is because Crytek just announced their own cloud gaming platform, currently still beta (its called GFace). They investigated cloud gaming some time ago but now they obviously think the infrastructure will be ready within 2-3 years. Never underestimate tech. progress.
cloud is not progress, too many problems when compared to local hardware

cloud is not progress, too many problems when compared to local hardware
Being able to play crysis on any hardware with a wifi connection certainly is progress. It means I don't have to buy a console/pc and game developers are not limited by particular hardware.

We should welcome that development, in 10 years everything will run linux. Or have you ever heard of computing centres running windows..

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Being able to play crysis on any hardware with a wifi connection certainly is progress. It means I don't have to buy a console/pc and game developers are not limited by particular hardware.

We should welcome that development, in 10 years everything will run linux. Or have you ever heard of computing centres running windows..
no thank you, im feet on the ground kind of man, no cloud for me

Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
forgetting that MS pays Nokia a billion a year and that they have special licence agreement (ie, less than 24$, could even be nothing at all at the beginning for what we know) is not being "conservative"
It's not free. It's confirmed that they pay a fee and It's estimated to be $15 per handset. What I don't understand are the people saying Symbian needed to die because of cost. Are Nokia incapable of good management? how can outsourcing the OS save money? the only way I see that happening is if your management was poor in comparison. You also lose a lot of power, your "ecosystem", income from app sales and platform advertising. There is no reason why a high selling platform like symbian cannot be self sustaining other than poor management.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
1. Nokia has better contract with ms than zte
How do you know Nokia is paying less in licensing fees than others like ZTE? I'm really interested in the details.

2. You forgot the scenario that nokias smartphone platform dies (symbian/wp) and they want to stay alive as pure service company. Symbian = certain default, wp = stop making phones and paying from os development
If WP dies then Nokia hardly can make money from developing for it. Given current installed base of Symbian and WP they can probably make better living from Symbian than WP.

3. Nokias priorities are their services on top of wp (in west), wheres the problem?
If they want to be service provider then locking themselves into one platform is spectacularly dumb move, choosing the smallest of them all (and dying) adds quite a few levels of stupidity on top of that. But other than that all is good.

As to cloud (salesmen are kind of nonexistant in this thread, so no longer worrying about off-topic): sony, amazon, megaupload... cloud which was recently hailed as web 3(4).0 in newspeak is currently on its knees. Maybe for gaming alone this will not be a crotch-kick, but doubt it.
As to WP being niche: Nokia/M$ just started ad capmaign in PL, it is huge. Don't watch tv and I still got hit. Friends who own tvs confirm it is there also. Time will show, but maintaining all ecosystem, platform and PR for multiple systems sounds for me like a task even apple couldn't be able to sustain. Letting a giant handle most of these tasks and concentrating on good hw seems like a good way (if adless maemo/harmattan could coexist with this I would be overjoyed, we'll see) to stay afloat. And if maemo/harmattan loving people sell the idea of full opensourcing being the nail to kill off competition we might see good times someday

Maybe for gaming alone this will not be a crotch-kick, but doubt it.
Well I think native apps still provide a much better user experience than web interfaces, but cloud gaming essentially bypasses the problem by just streaming the content. With enough bandwidth and low latency I don't see why it should not work.

But gaming is a special case, for other applications this is not an option or brings not enough benefits.

Of course they do, but you could play xbox games even on N900 (been done if I remember correctly already), latency is biggest obstacle, assuming you don't provide your credentials cc info on connecting for gaming it could work, for anything else people've been burnt

Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
forgetting that MS pays Nokia a billion a year and that they have special licence agreement (ie, less than 24$, could even be nothing at all at the beginning for what we know) is not being "conservative"
Neither is forgetting M$ get the app store and the ability to integrate Navteq data into it's products.
At the end of 2010 Ovi had revenues of $105,000,000 and was growing 719% YoY.
I don't know how you quantify what access to Navteq is worth.

With regard to the license fee in what jurisdiction was the M$/NOKIA deal signed? Under American law I believe a large corporation selling the same product to different customers at different prices is a breach of the Clayton Antitrust Act and the Robinson-Patman Act. M$ already lost a court case for that back in the late nineties didn't they?

On top of the above we have also seen evidence that M$ are going to get a 1/3 share from licensing fees for NOKIA patents, patents that predate any arrangement between NOKIA and M$.

This is a quote from evidence presented in the M$ vs Barnes and Noble case (MOSAID Technology is the company now holding thousands of NOKIA's patents):
MOSAID believes that "four of the top five global cell phone vendors" will soon require a license, and MOSAID is targeting "over a trillion dollars of unlicensed revenues" of mobile devices

M$ are going to get a 1/3 share in “over a TRILLION dollars in unlicensed revenues” when that is really due to NOKIA and the M$ contribution was absolutely nothing? Wow!

1. Nokia has better contract with ms than zte
You know for a fact NOKIA will be paying less per license? Please post a link to that for us.

2. You forgot the scenario that nokias smartphone platform dies (symbian/wp) and they want to stay alive as pure service company. Symbian = certain default
You can say that as many times as you like but it doesn't make it true. Show us the evidence.

The fact Symbian's sales and margins were growing (verifiable facts) and the fact Ovi was growing rapidly (verifiable fact) right up until the moment Elop made his EOL announcement tells an entirely different story. At the end of Q4 2010 (the last quarter before the Elop induced meltdown) NOKIA was selling as many smartphones as Apple and Samsung combined.

3. Nokias priorities are their services on top of wp (in west), wheres the problem?
Why on top of WP when they have over a billion users of their own platforms (MeeGo/Maemo/Symbian/Series 40)? Why prioritize creating services for a platform with such a small user base?

How did it make sense to kill Symbian in order to do that anyway? The profits being generated by Symbian could have contributed to setting up any services they wanted to introduce.

I beg everyone to research themselves instead of believing everything symbian fanboy say. And naturally everyone should take my writings with a grain of salt or find the sources themselves.
Oh, please don't call me a fanboy, I'm so hurt...

Oh, OK then I confess... and just for the record I'm also a Maemo fanboy, a MeeGo fanboy, a webOS fanboy and even <blush>an Android fanboy</blush>.

I'm sure even WP7 has it's charms and given time has the potential to mature into something really good but I still don't see that's any justification for Elop's willful destruction of Symbian.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
if you know the american landscape, the subject of this post is entirely true and elop is right. salesmen control which phone is sold because americans like to play dumb when it comes to tech. they go in and want you to sell them something. and thats why they buy what everyone else is buying, cuz its the safe bet, everyone couldnt be wrong.
anyhow thats why Nokia will have a hard time selling those wp7 phones unless they get the trolls to buy in.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows