Active Topics

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by slender View Post
This was just one example, but of course the biggest crave to portrait comes from fact that right now it's quite hard to use n900 comfortably while on go (walking, on que) to just check things fast and have another hand free.

And purpose my mockups was not only to show advantages of portrait mode but the habit of UI designers to over-estimate the space needed for buttons and elements. One of biggest reasons I haave not used KDE/Gnome on my pc with (1024x768 resolution) has been for years lack of pixel wise themes. I mean even 20 pixels mean A lot to me. For example windows xp without candy and default fonts is quite opitmized (browser, explorer). I just hate with passion all the padding and extra space in all themes across the differen OS's. To me too many look like they are for old people or for tv resolutions. Same thing applies to N900. More compact. Pixel wise usage importance goes up exponentially when resolution goes down.
Pixelwise i am on the same page as you. I use a minimal theme on my Ubuntu machine with gnome. Removed the panel and such.. I like the ease to personalize your desktop in Ubuntu.

To be honest.. First: walking and looking on a screen is not easy. Secondly: if i need to write i will do it faster if i slide out the keyboard. The portrait mode could be a cool effect for some ppl though.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by jinbatsu View Post
SIM CARD Menu should be also the priority.
For GSM standar service, m-Banking, etc...
This service is available in almost all Mobile Phone device.

But why Nokia N900 does not have this?
This is fatal!
Have never heard of this.. could you explain a bit more?

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Have never heard of this.. could you explain a bit more?
On every GSM card has his own menu in mobile device, and it appears only if the SIM CARD has inserted, did you mention that menu?
The menu shown and we can use that services, like m-Banking, check Bank, m-Banking transfer, horoscope, and other info services...

What should I call for this feature?

And Nokia N900 does not have it, this is fatal.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by jinbatsu View Post
SIM CARD Menu should be also the priority.
For GSM standar service, m-Banking, etc...
This service is available in almost all Mobile Phone device.

But why Nokia N900 does not have this?
This is fatal!
I don't think Nokia calls the N900 a Mobile Phone. They call it a mobile computer that has phone capability. Symbian currently is Nokia's phone OS with all the features mentioned in this thread. I think the things mentioned in this thread would be great improvements to the Maemo/MeeGo, but I don't think Nokia see the Maemo/MeeGo as "a phone OS".

Also, take the Nokia Maemo Survey if you haven't already http://maemo.nokia.com/survey/

Last edited by theflew; 2010-04-16 at 20:46.

Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
3. messaging lacking
e. block Skype spam
FYI, I opened a bug for this (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8662) and it was closed as INVALID with no explanation.

The Following User Says Thank You to cibyr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by cibyr View Post
...it was closed as INVALID with no explanation.
Well, Venomrush did post a statement that he felt your enhancement request was large enough to be a Brainstorm item. I believe that was the explanation for closing your request.

The INVALID is likely due to the fact that Venomrush can't do MOVED. That's something of a guess, but I know that even having editbugs permission in Bugzilla, I can't do MOVED. If you'd prefer a proper MOVED to INVALID, drop Andre a line. He can make the change.

As to the question of whether the enhancement request deserves to be left in Bugzilla rather than being bumped to Brainstorm, well, that's a grey area that comes up in many requests. You've made your case in the comments, and if others feel similarly and vote or provide further reasons, the decision might be reversed.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: