bump !
any news for usb thetering using windows ?

share windows's internet connection via usb or have internet in windows from the N9?

merf .... Computer restrictions from my admin :/

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Philadelphia
I can attest USB tethering works. I have tested with Windows XP and Windows 7. Just make sure "Nokia Connectivity Cable" driver is installed which automatically gets installed if you use Nokia Link.

I know but I AM NOT ALLOWED to install a modem

anyhow working @home perfectly

Is it just me or does PC Suite not do 3G tethering...? I'm using version 7.1.180.46 and although using One Touch Access, I connect using Nokia N9 USB Modem but am getting rather slow speeds... Is it supposed to utilize the full 3.5G or not?
My internet connection at home has been disconnected for an undetermined time and I have an unlimited data plan on my phone... I'd really like to utilize it (my computer doesn't have a wifi card... never needed one, but will buy one if that's my only solution)

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Philadelphia
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Is it just me or does PC Suite not do 3G tethering...? I'm using version 7.1.180.46 and although using One Touch Access, I connect using Nokia N9 USB Modem but am getting rather slow speeds... Is it supposed to utilize the full 3.5G or not?
My internet connection at home has been disconnected for an undetermined time and I have an unlimited data plan on my phone... I'd really like to utilize it (my computer doesn't have a wifi card... never needed one, but will buy one if that's my only solution)
You do not need PC Suite to USB tether, Windows will do it without any additional software. Just make sure you have Nokia Link installed on your computer as this will also install the USB drivers your N9 will need.

Originally Posted by tibere86 View Post
You do not need PC Suite to USB tether, Windows will do it without any additional software. Just make sure you have Nokia Link installed on your computer as this will also install the USB drivers your N9 will need.
It doesn't look like Windows is taking my N9... I do have both Nokia Link and the USB drivers installed. Im using Windows 7 Ultimate. And trying to set up under Network --> Set Up A New Connection --> but my N9 is not listed there... just stays stuck at the page where it asks you to wait up to 90 seconds for any new hardware to appear but nothing appears...

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
On Ubuntu 11.04, just plug N9 to usb and select your carrier... Easy.
That doesn't work with Debian...

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by debian71 View Post
That doesn't work with Debian...
I'm using wvdial. It can be found in debian's default repos and works flawlessly.

First you connect the N9 to your linux box with an USB cable and as the connection mode selection pops up you choose "Sychronize and connect" (or whatever that selection is in english). That's all on N9's side.

On the debian (or whatever linux) system you can run dmesg to see that N9 is recognized as USB ACM device :
Code:
$ dmesg | grep tty
[    0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
[    1.131606] serial8250: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a NS16550A
[34786.069681] cdc_acm 1-4:1.7: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
In vwdial configuration file /etc/wvdial.conf you have to put above ttyACM0 device and settings from your ISP such as APN and passwords if required. wvdial is pretty good in figuring out the rest automatically. My configurations file looks like this (for DNA Finland):
Code:
# cat /etc/wvdial.conf 
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Init = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
Phone = *99#
Stupid Mode = 1
Username = " "
Password = " "
To connect your linux computer to the internet just execute wvdial:
Code:
 # wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
CONNECT
~[7f]}#@!}!} } }2}#}$@#}!}$}%\}"}&} }*} } g}%~
--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Sat Dec  1 20:23:09 2012
--> Pid of pppd: 4547
--> Using interface ppp0
--> pppd: øîx·àϜ p˜ [01]
--> local  IP address 10.224.51.174
--> remote IP address 10.6.6.6
--> primary   DNS address 62.241.198.245