Notices

Poll: new map sucks?
Poll Options
new map sucks?

Originally Posted by jean2323 View Post
i can search without internet connectio ....
i have downloaded map to my handset already. how do you get search working without internet>????

you got be kidding me !

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Eugene, Or
Location search - ie looking for the nearest Best Buy doesn't work without an internet connection. Hopefully this will be fixed.

But if you have an address or merely a point on a map the GPS will function and track you without internet, if you have the maps preloaded.

I've done it.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by jean2323 View Post
i can search without internet connectio ....
Really? Are you sure? Doesn't work for me and a lot of other folks. If I bring up the "Find Places" app from Ovi Maps and then try to do a search, I get "Error occurred during search request".

The Following User Says Thank You to bgrigor For This Useful Post:
I find the maps work fine but was bugged that it keeps asking for an internet connection. Spent ages looking for a setting in Ovi Maps to turn off but great to hear its done via Settings Location.
Should be OK now - just takes a few mins to get a gps signal.

Originally Posted by bgrigor View Post
Really? Are you sure? Doesn't work for me and a lot of other folks. If I bring up the "Find Places" app from Ovi Maps and then try to do a search, I get "Error occurred during search request".
sorry ... only used the application once ... cause is not that useful
calculates the route ... though navigation is not working ... and yes search is not working

problem is that n900 reconnects to the internet without asking permision ... even though in settings/internet connections/ connect automatically ... i have always ask!!!

that's why search worked for me .... sorry!

anyone know how i can tame the internet?
i keep disabling the internet connection ... and it keeps coming back ...

I hope this is going to be fixed/...

Downloaded maps via map loader following the book and all went well. Yes, I can add routes offline, but ONLY when selected on the map itself as it does not search for typed in places (it says: "error occurred during search request" ) which renders the option of downloading maps for offline use completely useless. How am I supposed to know the location of the destination road in a town abroad? I mean, that's WHY I would like to use the offline map in the first place. Am I missing something?

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by Thats it! View Post
Downloaded maps via map loader following the book and all went well. Yes, I can add routes offline, but ONLY when selected on the map itself as it does not search for typed in places (it says: "error occurred during search request" ) which renders the option of downloading maps for offline use completely useless. How am I supposed to know the location of the destination road in a town abroad? I mean, that's WHY I would like to use the offline map in the first place. Am I missing something?
Search without the Internet is only possible with some vector map navigation aps. Maemo Mapper for example uses bitmap map images and given a lat/lon can correctly position on the map but there is no data attached to the map for searches or creating routes. With a cellular data plan or WiFi connection you will be able to search.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Thanks but...oh dear that's bad news. Does this mean we are doomed to use bitmap only on our devices or is it likely that there is some kind of third party alternative in future? I think my real question is: Can Maemo 5 handle vector maps?

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by Thats it! View Post
Thanks but...oh dear that's bad news. Does this mean we are doomed to use bitmap only on our devices or is it likely that there is some kind of third party alternative in future? I think my real question is: Can Maemo 5 handle vector maps?
afaik nokia's announcement today stated that the free turn2turn-navigation for some other nokia phones is a complete offline solution. so i would think that it is possible to do offline routing?!