Any reason for this model in particular?

Lots of models supported under LineageOs actually... don't remember details of this Os...I guess I can trust it if you, Maemish do trust it...
I mean, privacy/usability wise.

(Again, not that I have anything special to hide. Just want to keep my "Nothing special" for me and beloved. Like if there would be cams everywhere at home... Private life would not feel the same.)

Last edited by ric9K; 2021-07-02 at 06:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Is the Astro Slide maybe worth looking into for you?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...-transformer#/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
I read the dedicated Planet Astro Slide thread.
Posts about this device, even yours, are not very encouraging:
-This SOC closed source drivers question,
-the sliding mechanism,
-the fact that Linux on it is a promise with no proofs

If I'd have to bet on something, I'd surely choose an Fxtec device. There is an important and diversified feedback from users with it. This is very valuable.

But mostly, I'm afraid to wait month/a year before I get it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I'm doubtful whether I'd buy one myself indeed. That doesn't mean it's not for everyone though, and since I don't know your exact preferred use case I thought I'd at least mention it, since it is an interesting device none the less

Regarding your last point, that Linux is a promise without proof, that's not entirely accurate I think. Planet Computers' previous device, the Cosmo Communicator, is actually running Linux in the form of Debian with KDE Plasma DE. It runs on a modified kernel with closed source (Android) drivers though, so for me that's not good enough. I can imagine for most people that wouldn't be problem at all though. I think it's safe to assume the Astro will run Linux in a similar form since it's also driven by a Mediatek SoC.

If open source/mainline kernel is important to you, did you consider the Purism Librem 5 or the Pine64 PinePhone?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Hi, yes always worth to mention, you are right.
Yes, Opensource/opennness is important to me, so able guys can check a litle bit what's going on behind the scene.
About the PinePhone, I had one. Not convinced for daily use (details in post 39).
About the Librem, I read, some 1-2 years back, a whole 3 pages blog from one guy very unsatisfied and reporting a not so clear behaviour of the company and problems with device. I got convinced by the arguments at the time but I don't remember exactly now.
I closed this door too at the time. I should maybe reopen it...

Comparing first impressions (totally subjective maybe), the Pro1 (pics, enterprise communication even here) looks more solid and reliable to me than the Astro.

Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
-the fact that Linux on it is a promise with no proofs
Seen this with so many projects.
And even if Linux works, calls probably don't, sometimes not even mobile broadband.
This is why I settled (back) on Maemo/SFOS in the end, and this is why I am so pumped about Leste being developed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
I don't remember: On what do you use SFOS?

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I would say Pinephone.
You can have the hardware in your hand months ago and buy hardware upgrade boards as they arrive; the software is advancing to daily driver rapidly.
Pinephone is usable at one charge a day now with Debian Mobile if you don't overdo web surfing or video but since the focus is still at core system usability little things like lack of a good audiobook reader and getting used to a new system with frequent changes keep me using my N900 for now.
https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120
I see old TMO and Maemo/Meego people popping up often in response to linking garage code or TMO wiki to solve issues or incorporate new function.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Hmm, I had one PinePhone , some (6/12?) month ago.
I sold it while it was not really usable as phone and came back to beloved .
Perhaps I should have been more patient and keep it...
I don't surf much neither do lots of video/audio.
I'd just like to
-take photos
-sms
-mms with pics
-make phonecalls

Is this yet possible (and easy) with the Pinephone on one single Os?

EDIT: Gonna take a look to your link. Thanks

Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
I'd just like to
-take photos
-sms
-mms with pics
-make phonecalls
Well, I mean "just"... Technically, it is already a lot, I know that.

Then, answering to myself after having looked at the forum:
These "simple" things are not yet easy easy. It is progressing but I understand better that the PinePhone is not yet ready for a worry less daily use. (Or people like me are to worried for being ready...or not ready to be worried...anyway...)