Originally Posted by patlak View Post
That photo of the Note just proves how dumb Nokia was to dump Maemo 5 and focus on a completely new UI. ....................if M5 reached mass market. I guess a MS deal was a long time in the making.
yes.. thats why it is a request to port maemo to these devices... its most powerful yet so simple & we have already done a lot of work on it & we know its Credibility & Efficiency & we Luv it...

if we just decide to port maemo to some specific one or two devices it might be achieved.. Even a partial working maemo is much more useful then current OS's...
this will let us stay with the community & maemo development for a much longer longer time...

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Funny you should mention that, over at another place he's threatening to build a maemo chroot for webos :-)
wow tht guy hs got LXDE workin on HP Touchpad

video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=159h_t0hHPQ

now that's an achievement...
@lma Good find my frend

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I like the Galaxy Note because of its great stylus support. It's just been released in Australia and should hit Germany in the coming week as well. The source code has also just been released. It ticks most of the boxes that drove me to buy the N800 originally.

Last edited by maluka; 2011-10-28 at 06:40.

Galaxy note got rooted...
blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-note-rooted-already-you-can-try-this-at-home-video/

www.androidnz.net/2011/11/at-your-own-risk-how-to-root-your.html

hope to see a fully working maemo on it... soon..

Last edited by immi.shk; 2011-11-02 at 18:13.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
hope to see a fully working maemo on it... soon..
THAT would be something!

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
hmm a M5 port on the droid 3 or 4.. i would be impressed!! fo sho!

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Actually, I would steer you to Mer. Mer just got rebooted a month or so ago as the future of community-driven MeeGo Core. The Cordia UI is based on Mer. The KDE folks' Plasma Active user interface may run off Mer. I know Mer has had a disappointing history with its past incarnations, but it seems to have a burst of momentum now and the promise of taking the best of what came from MeeGo and running with it in a fully open, community-driven way.

If nothing else, consider talking to Stskeeps about your plans, and he can tell you what pain & suffering lies on a path like this.
The issue with Mer/Nemo/Meego at the moment, for me at least, is that after spending some significant time getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab to boot Nemo (I imagine it will be easier with the next device now I've learned the things I needed to know), as I don't have hw acceleration working I can't use the UI at all.

This is a bit disheartening and not ideal if you want to port applications rather than system sw and drivers (I want to do both), so I've decided to go for Ubuntu in the meantime so I have something that is at least vaguely usable while I look at the missing drivers, hacking together hw accel, etc.

With that said the Ubuntu XServer is segfaulting and I've just broken the install by installing the deps required to build mtev, but once that's sorted the UI should be usable at least (which is a nice morale boost).

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
why would we port it to such expensive brand name devices when there are tons of cheap tablets with comparable hardware like this one for 83$
http://www.pandawill.com/ployer-momo...te-p52651.html

wouldnt something like that be a better platform for porting a community OS to it(price/performance wise)

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2011-12-20 at 18:10.

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
why would we port it to such expensive brand name devices when there are tons of cheap tablets with comparable hardware like this one for 83$
http://www.pandawill.com/ployer-momo...te-p52651.html

wouldnt something like that be a better platform for porting a community OS to it(price/performance wise)
Well mainly as I owned one (and I chose it as I wanted GPS and an e-compass, though accessing the GPS remains WIP). The tablet you mention may well be a better bet (certainly it's higher spec, but then it's newer) as it has a Mail GPU and you might get some sense out of them re. producing hardfloat userspace binaries (which is currently one of the issues associated with trying to run hardfloat Nemo as opposed to softfloat Ubuntu).

I'm device agnostic as long as it's readily available and has the required spec and realistically one would want to support multiple devices (preferably with a non-accelerated UI as a fallback!)

I'd rather seem nemo mer on either the droid 3 or the htc desire z, i prefer the droid 3 keyboard though