Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
So you've never even actually owned a Tablet (despite your 130+ posts), am I getting this right?

No wonder he is talking like that!

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
I've been reading this thread all day and assessing what I use my tablet for and how a smaller screen will impact that. In order of my usage:

Net browsing
I already do that on a smaller screen (I switched away from my phone+N810 in October, when I got my G1). It's not ideal on my G1, but it does work. And, really, I thought the N800/N810 was just barely too small for doing this A LOT anyway. That's part of how I arrived at my conclusion that I needed a middle-range device.

Watching films
Reading books
Office tasks
I never considered the N800/N810 to be a good size for those tasks. It's just slighlty too small. As above, that's part of how I came to the conclusion that I needed both a pocketable (for quick/dirty work) and a middle-range device (for more intensive work ... reading, office tasks, web pages that are just too big to read comfortably on anything smaller than a 5" screen, etc.).

While I don't like the decision to go to a 3.5" screen for the NIT (I'd rather have the G1, N97, or Mako get larger, not have the NIT get smaller), if there is also going to be a netbook size device, then I can actually see that working out (for me) as a better pair of devices than a dumb phone + 4" NIT:

A Maemo phone, for calls and messaging, music, VERY light video watching, and quick/dirty web use, all comfortably pocketable.

A Maemo netbook/tablet/convertible-tablet for more intense mobile use (movies, e-books, real web use, more intensive messaging conversations, document reading/editing, etc.).

That would actually fit my model of "a pocketable and a non-pocketable".

A lot of this depends on what the RX-71 actually is (a NIT size device that makes all of you happy, or a netbook that makes me happy), and/or how many Maemo devices there will be.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
It was a joke:
Good to hear that there are no delusions of grandeur, except we know that it was all leaked for benefit of talk.maemo.org.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=60

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
So you've never even actually owned a Tablet (despite your 130+ posts), am I getting this right?
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post

No wonder he is talking like that!
I've used a N800 for roughly two months, back in February of 2007.

I think I'm entitled to an opinion. But it's great to see that the community on here seems to think I'm not. Really, just underlines what I thought before.

The Following User Says Thank You to chlettn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
I do. Thus, your statement is false.
Here's my latest fully useable xterm/keyboard concoction. Forgetting how ugly it is, notice how much "screen estate" I have left for things like word completion and maybe tab selection. Contrast it to the xterm I no longer use. I was thinking inside a box that doesn't pop up.

Name:  screenshot10.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  23.2 KBName:  screenshot12.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  24.2 KB
Name:  screenshot11.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  21.2 KBName:  screenshot13.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  20.6 KB

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
How about a magnifying glass attachment that you slide over the device to magnify the screen to 4.1 inches, and that doubles as a hard case?
Sounds like a companion product opportunity ... you should build a prototype and see if you can get gadget makers to pick up for sale :-)

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
1) Smaller screen - yuk
2) Tied to cellular provider and likely extra money for data - nope
3) lesser battery life due to cellular activity - no thanks
4) No dpad - bad
5) No stylus listed as "included in box" - bummer

= Nokia not getting any money from me for this device. A different device perhaps, not this one.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by chlettn View Post
The maybe 50.000 (if that) people who bought one of the completely non-marketed 770/N800/N810?
It was around 400,000 units shipped in August 2007 (770 and N800 only, and this was just as the N800's price drop was hitting), I'd say we're well over 1 million units by now (perhaps 2).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by chlettn View Post
I've used a N800 for roughly two months, back in February of 2007.

I think I'm entitled to an opinion. But it's great to see that the community on here seems to think I'm not. Really, just underlines what I thought before.
I apologize for that. It was all my frustration. Dont blame the community for that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I already do that on a smaller screen (I switched away from my phone+N810 in October, when I got my G1).
So, would you really rather have an N900 (as its rumored to be) than the G1? Why?

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile