Active Topics

I searched to see if this was discussed before, but I didn't find anything.

With Nexus and Desire, 720p capture was unlocked via means of software.

Now that methods of overclocking the N900 are available. Has anyone investigated achieveing 720p video capture? or is processor speed irrelevant?

Can the n900 camera allow it? or the n900s camera cannot handle it?

Just wondering.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 312 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ dubai
that would be really good if it works

doubtful you would be able to get deep enough into the camera stack to enable it, and even if you could it would probably perform badly.

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
doubtful you would be able to get deep enough into the camera stack to enable it, and even if you could it would probably perform badly.
Are the camera stacks open source? Or closed?

The low level driver is closed source, at least I believe it is.

Alot of manufacture are sending OTA updates to phones enabling 720p vid recording. So I think its not that impossible, I think the hardware is capable, but needs hacking-coding-etc to make it work.

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
I'd be happy with video capture without freezing/dropped frames. Then we can talk about 720p. I don't see it happening.

The Following User Says Thank You to sadfist For This Useful Post:
The N900 cant even capture its normal quality stuttering free, i doubt if it could do 720p...

The Following User Says Thank You to dof250 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
I'd be happy with video capture without freezing/dropped frames. Then we can talk about 720p. I don't see it happening.
Originally Posted by dof250
The N900 cant even capture its normal quality stuttering free, i doubt if it could do 720p.
Really? I haven't experienced any of that......but I haven't recorded anything over 2 minutes.....

You experienced this when recording for how long? was anything else running at the time?

Darn it. if it's closed source then we're screwed.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
There's someone on youtube who claims to have been able to modify the hardware of the N900 to capture 1080p video. The poster is German, and I failed at using a translator, so anyone want to give it a try and ask the poster how he/she did it?
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.