Hi Everybody.

I managed to get up and running with ubiboot using Harmattan and Nittroid, but in this last weekend the baterry of my N9 went dead and now I can't chage it with ubiboot.

If I leave the usb cable connected to the charger the phone charges a bit and then enters the debug mode, as there is a usb cable connected. If I leave it there, it doesn't do nothing and short after, the phone shuts down when baterry runs out of juice.

Is there any way I can continue the boot process through telnet without unplugging the usb from the phone?

I think I need to go throught the OS seclection of ubi boot so it can charge correctly.

I have G_DEFAULT options in place:
G_DEFAULT_OS="Harmattan"
G_DEFAULT_KERNEL="/boot/Harmattan/boot/zImage-2.6.32.54-dfl61-20121301"

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
boot into Harmattan via telnet:

Code:
mount /mnt/2
/boot/menu/select_os_animated.sh ; echo $?
/usr/bin/disable_pm ; kexec -e ; echo $? ; sleep 10
Select your kernel when the menu comes up after the second command then enter the third command

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Hi!

thedead1440 gives you the correct advice, with those commands you can boot the selected kernel/OS manually.

Another way is to use a non-computer charger, just plug your N9 into wall charger instead of computer. The device will notice it is connected to a charger and instead of going to repair mode, it will enter charging mode.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Another method (not that much sophisticated ), but worked for me when I was hit by this.
plug in, let charge for a minute or so (as long as LED blinks), shut down via 8 second long power button push. Do this for two or three times and it should have enough (watch out) juice to load the second stage kernel and charge normally.
To get to second stage kernel, just plug USB out and directly in again.

--edit
Just seen juiceme's advice and I have to add that this is only possible with ubiboot-02.

--edit2
@juiceme
above commands would be nice to have in a small script (maybe /boot/boot?) bundled already and provided in ubifs.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-04-22 at 19:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Just seen juiceme's advice and I have to add that this is only possible with ubiboot-02.
Ah yes, that's true. Only ubiboot-02 contains the startup mode sniffing which enables charger type detection and RTC alarm boot detection.

My bad, as I kind of thought everybody is using -02 these days.

Maybe I should update the corrections done to -02 to the -01 branch, too...

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Thank you guys! It worked.

I changed to the default N9 charger, and used thedead1440's instructions to manualy select the kernel (although I coud not run the third command).

Now I have the charging icon on my N9 screen.

From now on I'll try to charge my N9 using only its default charger, and not the iPhone/iPad one or the computer.

The last thing I need to figure out now is how to install and setup Nemo OS to boot through ubiboot.

Thank you all once again.

The Following User Says Thank You to danielcbit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Yes, that's basically it.

You should follow the guide https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Nemo/Installing using the part "Dual-boot method" which will not flash your bootloader but just starts up the MOSLO installer.

When your mmcblk0 is repartitioned, it will be exported to your linux PC via USB, then you can just untar the NEMO image to the exported partition. Then, unmount, and if you have already installed ubiboot, just boot it to the Nemo installation.
The defaults in boot.conf already contain reference to the Nemo partition and kernel, if you have not changed them.

When in Nemo, set up 3G or WIFI networking, login to shell and do "zypper ref; zypper dup" as root to get the latest updates. It looks quite slick with the new homescreen layout
Hello juiceme,
one last question befor I try to make my N9 act as Tripleboot-System via ubiboot-02.

I read lot of manuals by installing Nemo on N9. Unfortunately there are a lot of options, for N9, for N950 (don' know if there any difference).

Maybe it would be very helpfool for others, when i can write a small step-by-step manual for installing Nemo as a third System on N9.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong:

First I LOAD a modified moslo, to have the ability to repartition my MyDocs Partition EMMC on N9:

sudo flasher -k usr/share/moslo-n9/zImage-moslo -n usr/share/moslo-n9/initrd-moslo -l -b

Right?
How I should repartition the MyDocs ?

Should I run autopartition.sh script ? With which options? or the partition will be repartitioned automaticaly when I load a modified Moslo?

Maybe You or anybody other, who installed Nemo on ubiboot can provide a simple step-by-step-manual for doin that...

Thank You, juiceme, and all others, CodeRUS, peterleinchen and all others, who spent his time with us, making things better and easier...And have a lot of patience with noobs....

Thank you guys !!!

The Following User Says Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by explit View Post
First I LOAD a modified moslo, to have the ability to repartition my MyDocs Partition EMMC on N9:

sudo flasher -k usr/share/moslo-n9/zImage-moslo -n usr/share/moslo-n9/initrd-moslo -l -b

Right?
How I should repartition the MyDocs ?

Should I run autopartition.sh script ? With which options? or the partition will be repartitioned automaticaly when I load a modified Moslo?
When you do that with a device that contains the default 3 partitions (root, home, MyDocs) the partitioning is started automatically by init on the moslo ramdisk.

What will happen, is your mmcblk0p1 (MyDocs) is broken into 2 pieces, it will become mmcblk0p1 and mmcblk0p4, where the partition 4 is at the end of the original MyDocs.
The new partiton size is 4G, so if you have a 16G device it will quite drastically shorten your MyDocs partition.

And hey, backup your MyDocs before the partitoning!!

When the partitoning and formatting is done, the new device is exported over USB to your linux PC (and it has to be linux, since if you do this with windows it will not understand anything about the new partition, since it's ext4fs...)

Now you are ready to unpack the content of the Nemo filesystem tar to the new fresh partition.

Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
When you do that with a device that contains the default 3 partitions (root, home, MyDocs) the partitioning is started automatically by init on the moslo ramdisk.

What will happen, is your mmcblk0p1 (MyDocs) is broken into 2 pieces, it will become mmcblk0p1 and mmcblk0p4, where the partition 4 is at the end of the original MyDocs.
The new partiton size is 4G, so if you have a 16G device it will quite drastically shorten your MyDocs partition.

And hey, backup your MyDocs before the partitoning!!

When the partitoning and formatting is done, the new device is exported over USB to your linux PC (and it has to be linux, since if you do this with windows it will not understand anything about the new partition, since it's ext4fs...)

Now you are ready to unpack the content of the Nemo filesystem tar to the new fresh partition.

Thank You juiceme, thank you guys! You are the best!

Now i have tripleboot !

By the way. Where i can get the vmlinuz-3.5.3-juice kernel ?
What are the advantages ?

Thank You juiceme, thank you guys! You are the best!
Now i have tripleboot !
You're welcome

By the way. Where i can get the vmlinuz-3.5.3-juice kernel ?
What are the advantages ?
That's just one of my test kernels. Now and then I get some ideas I want to test and build some throwaway kernels. That is an attempt to run Nemo with the latest linux kernel, but it's incomplete as yet.